Brewer Fanatic

2015 lineup

MVP2110
Common sense would not project Segura's 'career' so far as the 'career' he will end up with. Anyone can grab any set of numbers over a short period of time to prove anything. So... aside from trying to prove 'anything' with a 'cherry picked' set of numbers... how about you contribute to the discussion. Do you have an opinion as to who should bat leadoff.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still intrigued by a healthy Lind and think his average and OBP would fit well in the 2-spot (against RH at least)

vs. RH Pitcher

Gomez

Lind

Braun

Ramirez (reluctantly)

Lucroy

Davis

Gennett

Segura

vs. LH Pitcher

Gomez

Lucroy

Braun

Ramirez

Davis

Gennett

Maldonado/Jimenez

Segura

The big lineup problem remains Ramirez who's done nothing (.174/.296/.261) this spring to allay my fears that he's simply done.

Meanwhile, Davis and Lind along with Lucroy, have been the 3 most productive hitters in camp. All 3 should be hitting in front of Ramirez.

Common sense would not project Segura's 'career' so far as the 'career' he will end up with. Anyone can grab any set of numbers over a short period of time to prove anything. So... aside from trying to prove 'anything' with a 'cherry picked' set of numbers... how about you contribute to the discussion. Do you have an opinion as to who should bat leadoff.

why not just put Davis in the leadoff against lefties? He is a career .311 OBP but at least supports a .486 SLG compared to .371 of Segura.
Come again?

Cherry picking numbers? You gotta be kidding me. He's had enough at bats in his "early" career to know he should be nowhere near the top of the order to begin the season. In fact, the guy I said to put there over him has been a better bat in the MLB and in the minors so I think I contributed quite nicely to the conversation. Now, if he were to turn his "early" career around at the plate and start getting on base more to use that speed he has, I'm all for him being up in the 1-2 spots in the order. Until then, sorry but it would be one of the worst moves RR could make.

Oh, and here is more contribution to the conversation from an earlier post:

With the players we have today... 1/7/15

vs. RHP

1. Gennett

2. Braun

3. Lucroy

4. Lind

5. Gomez

6. Ramirez

7. Davis (sometimes Parra)

8. Segura

Vs. LHP

1. Braun

2. Lucroy

3. Gomez

4. Ramirez

5. Davis

6. Gennett

7. Lind (or whatever RH guy(Jimenez, Rogers) we have if a tough lefty)

8. Segura

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

No one was saying Segura should be the everyday leadoff guy, just that if Gennett is the leadoff guy vs RHP, Segura could be the leadoff guy vs LHP. With similar OBP, the extra SLG for Davis vs LHP in my opinion is a reason not to put him leadoff over Segura. I'd rather see that SLG a few spots down in the order, knocking guys in. Plus, Segura has speed which is beneficial at the top of the order not only for stealing bases, but also for scoring from first on an extra base hit, or going first-to-third on a single, allowing for the #3/4 hitter to get an easy RBI on a sac fly. I share your concern over Segura, and I think he should have a short leash this season, but in a scenario where we don't have a great option for a leadoff guy, Segura batting 8th vs RHP and leadoff vs LHP should at least be considered.

Of course, all the talk this spring has been about leadoff, but I'm with Briggs that putting Ramirez at cleanup could be costly. While we don't have a good leadoff candidate, we have a number of guys who could be productive cleanup hitters. Unfortunately, the spot will probably go to Ramirez, who is probably not the best choice.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

On March 25, I would put the lineup like this:

1. Gennett

2. Lucroy

3. Braun

4. Gomez

5. Lind

6. Ramirez

7. Davis

8. Segura

This lineup will never happen as RR has Ramirez locked in at #4 but I like the feel of the lineup with Gomez focusing on driving in runs rather than being at #1 or #2. When a LHP is on the mound flip flop Gennett and Segura.

No one was saying Segura should be the everyday leadoff guy, just that if Gennett is the leadoff guy vs RHP, Segura could be the leadoff guy vs LHP. With similar OBP, the extra SLG for Davis vs LHP in my opinion is a reason not to put him leadoff over Segura. I'd rather see that SLG a few spots down in the order, knocking guys in. Plus, Segura has speed which is beneficial at the top of the order not only for stealing bases, but also for scoring from first on an extra base hit, or going first-to-third on a single, allowing for the #3/4 hitter to get an easy RBI on a sac fly. I share your concern over Segura, and I think he should have a short leash this season, but in a scenario where we don't have a great option for a leadoff guy, Segura batting 8th vs RHP and leadoff vs LHP should at least be considered.

Of course, all the talk this spring has been about leadoff, but I'm with Briggs that putting Ramirez at cleanup could be costly. While we don't have a good leadoff candidate, we have a number of guys who could be productive cleanup hitters. Unfortunately, the spot will probably go to Ramirez, who is probably not the best choice.

But your seven other batters in your order get on base better than he does so why would he even be considered? The best thing your lead off can do is get on base. Why would we our our worst hitter or get on baser in that spot? Our worst hitter getting more at bats in a game just doesn't fly with me. To me it would be the dumbest thing RR has ever done and there has been some doozies.

And I do agree, ARam being slotted in the 4-hole no matter what is dumb. I do believe in giving him the first month to show he still has it. If not drop him. Performance based lineup is how this should all work.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

There is absolutely no way Scooter Gennett is hitting lead off against lefties. I don't even think this needs explanation.

There is also absolutely no way Braun is leading off either. That would be quite a waste of power. The only reason they do it with Gomez is because of his extreme speed which Braun really doesn't have.

I could see Jean Segura at some point this season if he hits like he did post All Star break. Believe it or not he did better post tragedy despite what people make it out to be. If he hits .270 with an OBP close to .330 I would hit him lead off. Though his .180 average vs. lefties last year is pretty brutal

Lastely think people are reading too much into Ramirez being in the 4 hole to start the season. I think Roenicke said that just to give him a vote of confidence. I would not be shocked if he was hitting 5th or 6th after 10 games.

1) Gennett is terrible base runner.

2) Gomez has all the skills of a lead off hitter and power. It would be one thing if the Brewer had no other power but that is far from the case.

3) Segura is the Brewers worst hitter

Also amazing how Ramirez's spring shows he's done while Gennett's similar spring says he should lead off

I agree that C. Gomez looks to be the best choice, and will probably win the role.

I also agree that Segura has been bad for most of his MLB career. I would not be surprised to see Sardinas called up mid-season to take over the starting SS position. I was just saying that if Gennett is slated for leadoff (I don't think he should be), then someone else has to be leadoff vs LHP. Roenicke doesn't like shuffling the order at all, but potentially swapping Gennett and Segura (leaving the rest alone) would be acceptable to Roenicke, and would likely be better than simply leaving Gennett in the leadoff spot, or putting H. Gomez in the leadoff spot with a platoon.

If I had to guess, I'd say this would be what it will look like:

vs LHP

CF Gomez

1B Lucroy

RF Braun

3B Ramirez

LF Davis

C Maldonado

2B H. Gomez

SS Segura

{pitcher}

vs RHP

CF Gomez

C Lucroy

RF Braun

1B Lind

3B Ramirez

2B Gennett

LF Davis

SS Segura

{pitcher}

This is dependent on Braun's thumb. If it still gives him problems, Lucroy and Braun should be at swapped, but if he's back to pre-thumb injury form, he's one of the best hitters in the game.

Gennett fits well as a #2 hitter vs RHP, and a lineup vs RHP with Gennett 2 and Lucroy 5 would be good, but I don't think Roenicke will move Lucroy around in the order. Davis and Ramirez could be swapped, but it (hopefully) shows the strength of our lineup vs RHP this season that they could be in the bottom third of the order.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Im actually quite happy with the lineups that RR puts out there compared to a lot of the lineups I see on here. No rhyme or reason. Just put people in places because you think they'd be a good fit instead of actually looking at numbers and comparing.

We are nearly at the final hurdle. Getting 20 hits a game makes you think Ron is happy. I cant see them changing from the boring, obvious

Gomez (over Scooter)

Lucroy (RR has already said he will bat 2nd; and a doubles machine behind Gomez makes sense)

Braun (you cant move a vet)

Rameriz (you cant move a vet)

Lind/Clark (as I noted in another post, Clark has no issue with lefties)

Davis

Scooter

Segura

Now the only drama is the RR brain explosion when Lucroy rests and Maldy plays. But I will guess that will be v a rightie only, so you put Scooter 2nd and Maldy 7th. The above lineup does not change for right or left hand pitcher. And the 'boys' are all in their fav spot. And Lind, who mashes righties like nobody else, comfortably sits in 5. And your worst batter (as Endaroud says) bats 8th. Davis fits just fine in 6. Scooter can show if he can hit lefties or not at 7. Rameriz retires with grace.

To be honest, it is simply, uncontraversial, all the boys are happy, and it seems balanced leftie and rightie pitcher. (I will mail it in to Ron now)

"There is also absolutely no way Braun is leading off either. That would be quite a waste of power. The only reason they do it with Gomez is because of his extreme speed which Braun really doesn't have."

It would get more AB's for our best hitter and the guy hitting leadoff only comes up (typically) once a game w/o runners on base.

I do like the idea of Ryan hitting #2 as well, as mentioned it would limit bunting from the 2-spot.

RRR told Tom H of JS that the Brewers would announce their lead-off hitter .... still no official announcement but here is today's lineup

Gomez

Lucroy

Braun

Ramirez

Lind

Davis

Gennett

Segura

That just isn't how I would have done it. I get maximizing AB's for Gomez, Lucroy and Braun (arguably your 3 best hitters) but I am just not on the same page of having Ramirez as the 4 hitter anymore.

Update: @Haudricourt: #Brewers manager Ron Roenicke confirmed today's lineup will be opening day lineup.

So the brewers are going with Schafer or Herrera instead of Clark or Rodgers........yuck

Tom @Haudricourt · 12m 12 minutes ago

#Brewers surprisingly option both Matt Clark and Jason Rogers to AAA. Thought one would make it. Wooten too. Pena to minor league camp.

RRR told Tom H of JS that the Brewers would announce their lead-off hitter .... still no official announcement but here is today's lineup

Gomez

Lucroy

Braun

Ramirez

Lind

Davis

Gennett

Segura

That just isn't how I would have done it. I get maximizing AB's for Gomez, Lucroy and Braun (arguably your 3 best hitters) but I am just not on the same page of having Ramirez as the 4 hitter anymore.

Update: @Haudricourt: #Brewers manager Ron Roenicke confirmed today's lineup will be opening day lineup.

Roenicke is living in the past. He thinks Aramis Ramirez took a time warp back to 2009 and is still a good to elite hitter. For how "great" Scooter is raved about as a hitting machine, doesn't makes much sense to bat him 7th to me either.

1) Gennett

2) Lucroy

3) Braun

4) Gomez

5) Lind

6) Ramirez

7) Davis

8) Segura

9) SP

Roenicke is living in the past. He thinks Aramis Ramirez took a time warp back to 2009 and is still a good to elite hitter

You only have to go back to 2013 or 2012, not all the way to '09. And through the end of June last season, his OPS was at .840.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's done as a good to great hitter, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's able to bounce back & still be an effective bat... that is, until he goes down injured.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It wouldn't surprise me if he's done as a good to great hitter, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he's able to bounce back & still be an effective bat... that is, until he goes down injured.

...and because of this pendulum of possibilities, Ramirez is and was always destined to be the cleanup hitter in 2015.

This lineup is in big trouble. You have to assume Braun, Lind, and Ramirez are 120 game players at best. Without them playing at career norms, this is a really soft lineup by Brewer standards.

Coming off that disastrous 2nd half last year, Im quite surprised the team elected to pretty much stand pat with the exception of Lind and the Rangers trade. Not exactly breaking new ground with that statement but this is a 500 team or worse unless some unexpected players make a VERY big leap in 2015.

This lineup is in big trouble. You have to assume Braun, Lind, and Ramirez are 120 game players at best. Without them playing at career norms, this is a really soft lineup by Brewer standards.

Coming off that disastrous 2nd half last year, Im quite surprised the team elected to pretty much stand pat with the exception of Lind and the Rangers trade. Not exactly breaking new ground with that statement but this is a 500 team or worse unless some unexpected players make a VERY big leap in 2015.

I tend to agree with you Boomer, though I believe Davis can take up some of the slack of a declining Ramirez and I think Segura should bounce back. They simply cannot afford losing Braun and/or Lind for 40+ games. It's very disturbing that they just simply acted as if the final 5 weeks of 2014 just didn't occur especially considering they had also a mini swoon in July.

Archived