Brewer Fanatic

2015 lineup

MVP2110

So since it looks like most of our lineup is filled out minus the weak side platoons at first and second, I'm curious to see how everyone sees our lineup shaking out as once again I don't see a perfect top of the order. Here's my best guess as of now,

Vs rhp

2b Gennett

RF Braun

C Lucroy

CF Gomez

1b Lind

3b Aramis

LF Davis/Parra(split 50/50 vs righties)

SS Segura

Vs Lhp

CF Gomez

RF Braun

1b Lucroy

3b Aramis

LF Davis

C Maldanado

SS Segura

2b Hector Gomez/Gennett

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd hit Ramirez 7th regardless. He's not a middle of the order hitter anymore, and you don't want him clogging the bases with RBI guys following him.

Vs RHP:

Gennett, 2B

Lucroy, C

Gomez, CF

Braun, RF

Lind, 1B

Davis/Matt Clark (split)

Ramirez, 3B

Segura, SS

Vs. LHP:

Gordon Beckham, 2B

Lucroy, C/1B

Gomez, CF

Braun, RF

Davis, LF

Rogers/Jimenez/Halton, 1B or Maldonado C

Ramirez, 3B

Segura, SS

It's premature to post a lineup when you don't know what the team will look like. I chose to anticipate some moves. I see Parra being traded/non-tendered and I see Brewers picking up Beckham once he's non-tendered by Angels. I also could see them finding a better offensive catcher to allow Lucroy to play first virtually all the time vs. LHP.

I just do not see Roenicke switching his lineup like this for lefties vs. righties. Mainly, I see him sticking with one leadoff hitter no matter who they are facing (probably end up being Gomez again because Gennett doesn't hit lefties.)
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I just want to reiterate my preference to hit Segura leadoff. The guy will see much better pitches than hitting eighth.

Last season the 1st hitter had 743 PA for the Brewers. The 8th hitter had 614.

Do you really want to pinch hit Segura for every single other hitter in the lineup 18 times each?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Personally, I just want to reiterate my preference to hit Segura leadoff. The guy will see much better pitches than hitting eighth.

Do you really want to pinch hit Segura for every single other hitter in the lineup 18 times each?

Would you rather have the only hitter who doesn't strike out on our team besides Lucroy hit eighth the entire season and see a fastball one in every ten pitches? I like your calculation to make your point, but now calculate how much the current-leadoff scenario strikes out in there....

Would you rather have the only hitter who doesn't strike out on our team besides Lucroy hit eighth the entire season and see a fastball one in every ten pitches? I like your calculation to make your point, but now calculate how much the current-leadoff scenario strikes out in there....

Pitchers pitch to the hitter not the spot in the order. Don't' give more PA to worse hitters. Strikeouts are the same as other outs almost all the time and matter even less at the top of the order where the bases are empty more often than any other spot in the order.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want a guy who reaches base less than 29% of the time receiving the most AB's on the team, regardless of how often he does or doesn't strike out.

With the players we have today... 1/7/15

vs. RHP

1. Gennett

2. Braun

3. Lucroy

4. Lind

5. Gomez

6. Ramirez

7. Davis (sometimes Parra)

8. Segura

Vs. LHP

1. Braun

2. Lucroy

3. Gomez

4. Ramirez

5. Davis

6. Gennett

7. Lind (or whatever RH guy(Jimenez, Rogers) we have if a tough lefty)

8. Segura

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd look forward to a game with either of those lineups. I'd guess that RR will put "Gomey" in the 1 spot and Ramirez and Braun will get veteran deference or whatever to be placed in static spots in the lineup. But then RR has more lefty, righty to play with.

If he doesn't have a good hot stretch, I could see Segura at 8 but that's a tough spot for a guy trying to get his bat going. Lind would probably do best but that would be under utilizing his bat.

I have to say that lineups is another contrast between Maddon and Roenicke. Joe is always moving things around and RR seems to like having things constant. Does it mean anything to say they are both part of the "Soscia tree"? Maddon seems to be a graft. I know when he was with the Rays, he'd do some stuff and I'd think that if other guys did that they'd get roasted.

Formerly AKA Pete

• 2 weeks later...

With the most recent trade, here is what I see with the players we have today... 1/22/15

vs. RHP

1. Gennett

2. Braun

3. Gomez

4. Lind

5. Lucroy

6. Ramirez

7. Parra

8. Segura

Vs. LHP

1. Luis Sardinas - I get it, he is new, but I think his splits are going to play in the Majors. (Minor league vs LHP .333 / .379 / .444 )

2. Braun

3. Lucroy

4. Gomez

5. Ramirez

6. Davis

7. Maldanado

8. Segura / Scooter - Hopefully Segura can rebound this year.

Bombers, with Ramirez's diminishing power production, I don't see how they can afford to sit Davis against RHP. On occasion sure, but Davis was a prime source of power in this lineup last year. Davis slugged .451 vs RHP last year to Parra's .398.

I seriously doubt Sardinas makes the team out of spring training. Hector Gomez is out of options and they'll want Sardinas who doesn't turn 22 until May playing everyday.

Gomez

Lucroy (Catcher v. RHP, 1b v. LHP)

Braun

Lind (v. RHP) / Ramirez (v. LHP)

Ramirez / Davis

Gennett / reserve MI (soft platoon at 2b; assuming Sardinas plays every day in AAA)

Davis / Maldonado

Segura

- I'd like Gennett to start against some lefties this year, just to get a sense of whether he absolutely needs to be platooned.

- Scooter slides up to the 2nd spot in the order when Lucroy sits, which should happen once or twice a week.

- I'd prefer it if Luc didn't play much 1b, but without knowing who's actually going to make the 25-man, it's easier to project him playing there against lefties.

- Ramirez should also get 1-2 days a week off, just to try and keep him healthy.

- Parra should get into the starting lineup 2-3 times / week, preferably against righties.

This is what I THINK RR will do, not what I would do. I personally think you're going to see a TON of Lucroy at 1B and Maldonado at C this season especially when a LHP is brought in to pitch to Lind.

RHP

1. Scooter 2B

2. Braun RF

3. Lucroy C

4. Gomez CF

5. Ramirez 3B

6. Davis LF

7. Lind 1B

8. Segura SS

LHP

1. Sardinas 2B

2. Braun RF

3. Lucroy 1B

4. Gomez CF

5. Ramirez 3B

6. Davis LF

7. Maldonado C

8. Segura SS

Davis should be playing every single day except rest days at this point. He is the future in the outfield & we need to figure out if he is going to end up a platoon player or a competent starter. Parra also hit alot of leadoff in Arizona I believe, so I conceivably see him hitting leadoff vs RHP for us some.

I can see arguments both ways for Sardinas starting in AAA, so I'll assume the front office starts by giving Hector Gomez a look.

LHP

CF Gomez

1B Lucroy (I don't agree with it, but will probably be the case)

RF Braun

3B Ramirez

LF Davis

2B Gomez/Gennett

SS Segura

C Maldonado

RHP

CF Gomez

C Lucroy

RF Braun

1B Lind

3B Ramirez

LF Davis/Parra

2B Gennett

SS Segura

Lind hitting 7th? What a waste.

I actually view this as a point of strength vs. RHP.

How? He might be our best stick vs. Righties...

Bombers, with Ramirez's diminishing power production, I don't see how they can afford to sit Davis against RHP. On occasion sure, but Davis was a prime source of power in this lineup last year. Davis slugged .451 vs RHP last year to Parra's .398.

I seriously doubt Sardinas makes the team out of spring training. Hector Gomez is out of options and they'll want Sardinas who doesn't turn 22 until May playing everyday.

JB - I am going off of what I think RRR will do. He likes vets. (as we all know) ... I don't see Parra only playing once a week. I see it more like a 50/50 split with Davis. (I understand Parra will end every game that we are winning as a defensive replacement, but I just feel like RRR is going to start him more this year.) Davis also batted .239 with a .298 OBP vs RHP last year. Parra wasn't drastically better but did hit .273 with a 3.09 OBP. And Parra's career splits are .286 / .334 / .424 / .758 vs RHP. Where Krush rocked RHP in 2013 to a tune of .297 / .369 / .549 / .918 in a little over 100 ABs. But then saw 400+ AB's and hit .239 / .298 / .451 / .749 vs RHP in 2014. So will the real KD please stand up. My thinking is RRR has doubt in Davis, thus more playing time for Parra. And unless Davis starts off hot, Parra plays.

Aram isn't a source of power anymore, true story, so I really hope RRR is smart enough to put him in the 6th spot. The NL average SLG in the 6th spot is .390. http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/split.cgi?t=b&lg=NL&year=2014#lineu .. Aram hit a SLG of .427 in 2014. I don't think Aram will be under .400 this year. So that is a perfect spot in the lineup for him. I think Aram will still hit (~ .280 average but not much HR power, however he will get his fair share of 2B)

As for Sardinas. That's just a guess. I just don't see them going with H Gomez. Not sure why. I would do exactly as you say. Let Sardinas play in the minors through May and if he is doing well and you need him, bring him up. But with the way Segura played last year, my gut is telling me they want some insurance against him and for some reason I think RRR will want Sardinas.

Bombers,

I don't see why on earth the Brewers would be down on Davis. I thought he had a productive year when guys in the lineup around him weren't as productive. Where he hit in lineup, be it 6th or 7th, getting on at a high clip isn't as important as getting runners on base home, and 61 extra base hits is more than Parra's ever had in one season as is 69 RBI. If Parra were a big OBP guy that could hit 2nd, then I see your point completely, but his OBP the last 4 seasons: .318, .305, .308, .323 don't really cut it at the top of the order.

Further the addition of Lind gives them that middle of the order lefty bat they lacked since Fielder left. Parra appealed to them in 2014 because they were so righthanded.

I'll take a crack at 2015 lineup.

Vs RHP

Gennett, 2B

Lucroy, C

Braun, RF

Lind, 1B

Gomez, CF

Ramirez, 3B

Davis, LF

Segura, SS

Vs LHP

Sardinas, 2B

Lucroy, 1B

Braun, RF

Gomez, CF

Ramirez, 3B

Davis, LF

Maldonado, C

Segura, SS

Damn we could/should have a really good O this year.

Archived