Brewer Fanatic

Duke to White Sox (multi-year deal)

patrickgpe
Thornburg & Henderson returning to pre-injury form would be huge. But until they've proven that they're ready, to me, the last thing you do is count on 'em -- the Brewers of the past (esp. the pre-Melvin era) were SO often guilty of that!

Shoot, Thornburg never really got better and they still don't even know why.

We aren't getting reports but that doesn't mean the Brewers aren't. The Brewers will most certainly add some arms for the pen, but it's November. To quote #12, r e l a x.

The White Sox gave Duke a contract equates to the guy you give the 7th inning to hold a lead on an everyday basis. Brewers generally don't pay top dollar to fill that role. Duke's fine in certain situations in late innings when 2 of the 3 scheduled hitters are lefties but he's not a guy that day in and day out you use to protect a lead regardless of the hitters coming up unless he's going really, really good.

One of Melvin's best attributes is patience in the reliever market.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7SqplVHNBmI/SdD6MynHQbI/AAAAAAAAAII/HkfjsJ5Cik8/s400/Eric+Gagne.bmp

Gagne was an obvious mistake. But judging Melvin's body of work over a decade-plus in MIL, Briggs' point is spot on.

Its OK to take a flier and make a 1 year mistake. Its much different to be stuck with a LOOGY for 3 years at an average of 5 million per.

Sure Gagne and Riske were mistakes, and so was trading for Linebrink. But all of that was quite a few years ago. Melvin, like other human beings, learns and adapts from his experiences. His approach to bullpen construction has been hard to argue with over the past several years.

Brewers need lefty pitchers. They should break the bank for Andrew Miller. Except, of course, the Brewers can't afford it (supposedly)..... they had better sign a few LHP's though, because otherwise Roenicke will prematurely end Will Smith's career by overusing him

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/millean01.shtml

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

For all the reasons not to do a multi-year deal to a reliever, I'd nonetheless be very inclined to go there w/ Andrew Miller, even paying a very hefty AAV to do so. I believe a strong, deep bullpen is a hugely necessary ingredient for a good season.

Given how poorly he pitched in August and after, Zach Duke isn't worth that kind of money.

For all the reasons not to do a multi-year deal to a reliever, I'd nonetheless be very inclined to go there w/ Andrew Miller, even paying a very hefty AAV to do so. I believe a strong, deep bullpen is a hugely necessary ingredient for a good season.

Given how poorly he pitched in August and after, Zach Duke isn't worth that kind of money.

I think I'd go with Miller as well for a long term contract. He'd be about the only one on the market this year that'd I'd take that chance. The guy is amazing.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived