Brewer Fanatic

Duke to White Sox (multi-year deal)

patrickgpe

no, they would have had to offer Duke $15 million dollars which he would have taken in a heart beat

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

and good luck to Duke, glad to see him go to the other chicago team! best of luck in the AL!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Yeah nice to see a guy that had a rocky start to his career figure out his niche. Hopefully we'll meet in the series!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

from $800k non-roster invitee to a $15 million dollar pay day over 3 years. not bad... not bad at all

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Melvin's bullpen strategy has always been to wait out the reliever market. There's usually a lot of guys scrambling for jobs come January. $15 million commitment to Duke is pretty extravagant. Michael Strong has barely pitched above A ball, but he's going to get a long look in Arizona off his fall league success.

I've heard the White Sox have interest in K-Rod also. Their pen was awful last year.

I agree with Melvin's strategy. They have rarely given FA relievers 2 year + deals and when they have they have never worked out. That is way too much money for basically a LOOGY, even though i was a big fan of him not only during his time in Milwaukee but as a Pirate too.

I agree with Melvin's strategy. They have rarely given FA relievers 2 year + deals and when they have they have never worked out. That is way too much money for basically a LOOGY, even though i was a big fan of him not only during his time in Milwaukee but as a Pirate too.

Agreed. Duke is not the kind of guy you pay full retail for. One of Melvin's best attributes is patience in the reliever market. I am confident he'll find a nugget or two on sale.

Agreed. Duke is not the kind of guy you pay full retail for. One of Melvin's best attributes is patience in the reliever market. I am confident he'll find a nugget or two on sale.

And hopefully one of those nuggets is a lefty.

And hopefully one of those nuggets is a lefty.

Kameron Loe is probably available. I heard he is pretty tough on lefties.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm glad for Duke. He went from possibly being out of the league to set for the foreseeable future in one season. I don't get why anyone would pay that much for someone who really hasn't established himself beyond one good season though. I am not against paying for established relievers who have done it over a significant period of time. I just think that is a lot to pay for a guy who hasn't really shown he is better than the average flash in the pan reliever we see all over the league every year.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

there will be relievers available in February. Through out all of my years of watching baseball, I have learned that the most difficult position to predict performance is relief pitcher. The brewers have caught lightening in a bottle many times with the likes of Doug Jones, Derrick Turnbow, Doug Henry, Dan Kolb and so on only to have them fall apart eventually.

Rare is the relief pitcher that is consistent from year to year. To give a guy like Duke 3 years is crazy.

Melvin has been good about not giving relievers 2 year deals, as they never seem to work out, like David Riske or Hawkins who had a good 2nd year, was hurt for most of his 1st season.

agreed mostly with what is said. It sucks losing Duke after the year he had but no way I pay him what he got paid. 3 year deals for non elite relievers is a bad idea. Love the way Melvin builds his pen and between Broxton, Smith, Thornburg, Henderson, Jeffress, Strong, Wooten, maybe Nelson or Fiers, and any guys we sign late in the offseason I think our pen will be just fine.

Thornburg & Henderson returning to pre-injury form would be huge. But until they've proven that they're ready, to me, the last thing you do is count on 'em -- the Brewers of the past (esp. the pre-Melvin era) were SO often guilty of that!

Shoot, Thornburg never really got better and they still don't even know why.

One of Melvin's best attributes is patience in the reliever market.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7SqplVHNBmI/SdD6MynHQbI/AAAAAAAAAII/HkfjsJ5Cik8/s400/Eric+Gagne.bmp

Gagne was an obvious mistake. But judging Melvin's body of work over a decade-plus in MIL, Briggs' point is spot on.

Archived