Brewer Fanatic

Russell Martin - 5 yrs, $82 mil deal with Toronto

torts
My opinion is that Lucroy's deal is so cheap, too cheap, that some small extension with a signing bonus should happen. Even if you just, say, do a club option for, say $10 mill, tacked on, but you give a $2 mill signing bonus NOW for the extension, it is good. I hate seeing the guy get so underpaid. Get some money in his pocket now, for the chance we have him another year or two.

Let the record show that I am not in favor of a Lucroy extension as I believe the catching and pitching prospects you could get in return could significantly trump his early to mid 30's production, but let's ask ourselves something. With Doug being close to the end, is either an extension or trade something that's even on his radar? Either way, if it's not, we have a problem.

With Doug being close to the end

OH MY GOD WHAT'S WRONG WITH DOUG? Prayers to his family.

I think he's referring to the fact that Melvin is 62, and has had a long run. Now he might want to stick around until he's 70, but the GM job is all encompassing so I can't imagine why he'd want to. Most guys either get kicked up to an executive level over the GM, retire or get fired.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Interesting stat - only 22 catchers in history have produced two seasons of 3+ bWAR after turning 32. And of those 22, only 7 guys were able to produce three seasons of 3+ WAR.

That's not a good sign that Martin's contract turns out well.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/11/18/7237497/russell-martin-contract-signs-blue-jays

Cool note #1: Carlton Fisk produced 3+ WAR SEVEN times after turning 32, including a 4.8 WAR season at age 42! Amazing player.

Cool note #2: Carlton Fisk actually played more games for the White than the Red Sox. I learned something new today.

Can I be a MLB GM? I'm only half joking. So many of these contracts are so blatantly bad ideas. These GMs are paid millions of dollars to do this for a living? I don't understand it...

Baseball is swimming in revenues on a level the league has never seen before, so teams will spend it, even on head scratching contracts.

Can I be a MLB GM? I'm only half joking. So many of these contracts are so blatantly bad ideas. These GMs are paid millions of dollars to do this for a living? I don't understand it...

Baseball is swimming in revenues on a level the league has never seen before, so teams will spend it, even on head scratching contracts.

Yeah, most owners have the team as a toy and not a real business and don't care about current net profit, the profit will be on the back end when they sell the team.

Plus the rich savvy owner also realizes that even if he overpays for a player they are also making the teams like the Brewers also overpay for players in turn, which will actually hurt them competitively (hence also helping his team).

Archived