Brewer Fanatic

Heyward/Walden to Cardinals; Shelby Miller/Tyrell Jenkins to Braves

torts

wowww

Heyward/Walden to Cardinals; Shelby Miller/Tyrell Jenkins to Braves

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Scouting Report on Jenkins who was the 14th ranked prospect for the Cards

:

Scouting grades: Fastball: 65 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

The most athletic pitcher available in the 2010 Draft, Jenkins not only starred in baseball, but he was also Baylor's top quarterback recruit, lettered in basketball and ran a 49-second quarter-mile in a relay race -- without any track training. Jenkins' development has progressed slowly since he went 50th overall and signed for $1.3 million. He also had shoulder surgery last August that kept him out until mid-2014.

Assuming he reclaims his stuff and can add some polish, Jenkins still has what it takes to become a front-line starter. When healthy, he had a fastball that sat at 93-95 mph, and it featured some nasty sink. Jenkins also flashed a curveball with some power and depth, and he had the makings of an effective changeup.

Jenkins' shoulder had bothered him during each of his two years in full-season ball, so his stuff may kick up a notch once he's fully healthy. He lacked consistent control, but his athleticism should allow him to get better at repeating his mechanics.

If you are in a fantasy baseball league, you would be wise to draft Heyward next year as he is now almost guaranteed to have a break out year.

Either the Cards will platoon him and he absolutely will have better numbers or they'll do as the Braves did and value his defense enough to play him every day. If you play fantasy, just play him against RH starters.

Not sure how I feel about this deal yet...

On one hand the Cardinals improved their lineup, on the other hand they just sent away Shelby Miller (who has top of the rotation potential) for a guy who is one season away from becoming a free agent. On the face of it, I will say the Braves won but won't be surprised to see a breakout from Heyward in 2015 where it becomes a push.

So who does Heyward most likely displace in the outfield?

He replaces the late Tevares in RF. Grichuk would be a great right handed platoon partner for Heyward. Walden is also a nice addition to their bullpen. Atlanta gets a potential top of the rotation starter with another young arm who also projects to be a #2 or 3. Good move for the both teams.

If you are in a fantasy baseball league, you would be wise to draft Heyward next year as he is now almost guaranteed to have a break out year.

Either the Cards will platoon him and he absolutely will have better numbers or they'll do as the Braves did and value his defense enough to play him every day. If you play fantasy, just play him against RH starters.

I've been keeper league for many years (since 84'), and had Heyward since he was in the minors before I traded him towards the end of this last season (I only had control of him for one more year). Unfortunately, it's a rotisserie style league (not team vs. team), so I didn't have the option to only start him vs. right handers (as all players on your roster count every day in rotisserie style).

The Cards will play him every day and he will hit .300+ from both sides of the plate and have a 40/40 season...because....it's the Cards.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Dang it. Well the Cardinals got better today going forward to next season. We can try to make ourselves feel better that they traded away a potential top of the rotation guy but come on, this deal is good for the Cards. Especially when they can go out and sign or trade for another SP.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Remember when Heyward was being heralded as the second coming of Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, and Willie Mays all rolled into one, and looked like he'd be the face of baseball in Atlanta for the next couple decades?

Well, now that's going to come to fruition, except it will be in St. Louis. (That should be in half-blue font).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

For 2015 the Cards got better but they also lost some rotation depth for sure. I am sure the Cards will make a big effort to resign Heyward; otherwise trading 4 years (?) of Miller for 1 year of Heyward and a reliever doesn't seem to make a ton of sense.

Unless StL thinks that Miller's prospects coming back from injury are not as good as perceived.

Could we have made a comparable deal?

No. The Brewers equivalent would have been Peralta and Nelson ad neither of those guys is at the same level as Miller or Jenkins.

I disagree pretty strongly with that. Peralta was better than Miller this past season. He's at least on par with him going forward.

Jenkins was #14 on Cardinals prospect list and his number in Florida State League don't blow me away. He's a long way from the big leagues. Nelson was the most dominant starter in the PCL and was #1 prospect in Brewer system.

That being said, since July the Cards have surrendered two controllable young starters in Miller and Joe Kelly and a decent prospect in the minors for a return of two guys who are FA after this year, Heyward and Lackey, and a reliever who's essentially replacing Neshek. That's not much of a return.

This is a win-win deal for the Brewers long term. If Heyward continues to stall in his progression it will not hurt the Brewers too much. If he breaks out I believe he will test free agency and potentially leave STL anyway.

but that is not the Cardinal Way™

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I can tolerate this as long as the Cardinals don't end up extending Heyward.

Can't believe people are suggesting to platoon him. Take a look at the fWAR by age for Jason Heyward versus the guy who just got a $350M contract. (Hint: I would rather have Heyward) :)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Could we have made a comparable deal?

No. The Brewers equivalent would have been Peralta and Nelson ad neither of those guys is at the same level as Miller or Jenkins.

Totally disagree that Jenkins is equivalent to Nelson. Jenkins has some nice potential, but he's had two straight years of injuries and never pitched above A ball. I don't think there's any way he's in Nelson's league at this time.

The rankings someone posted above have him as a 45 overall. As a comparison, MLB has Jungmann, Wagner, Hellweg, Goforth, Gagnon and T. Williams ranked as a 45. I believe Nelson was a 55 when he graduated off the prospect list.

Given his tools, Jenkins can certainly get better. The upside is there. But that's going to take some time. He's got a lot to prove against higher level batters - something Nelson has already done.

Really like this deal for Atlanta. You already get at minimum a mid rotation starter with 4 more years of control and a good pitching prospect for a RF who's seen his power plummet since 2012 with only one more year before free agency and a reliever.

Probably a Solid deal for both teams. Though I think the Cardinals win this deal big time.

Heyward+Walden+Comp Pick after 2015 for Miller and a coming off shoulder Surgery upside Pitching Prospect Jenkins.

Look, Walden may be a cream of the crop RP acquisition this offseason after David Robertson signs with a team. Cardinals blew how many games late last year? They also get a high upside RF who they know will be QO'd after the season and receiving a draft pick. Which if I'm them, I'm assuming I'm turning that in to another Shelby Miller to begin with.

Shelby Miller has the upside and team control but he's also very Yovani Gallardo. Struggles to make starts in to the 7th inning and often times is pulled in the 6th inning. It can be disappointing to watch all that talent just struggle to make through 6ip and turn it over early to your bullpen. Cards now have a better bullpen and can turn to someone who on paper with Miller can turn in the same kind of Starts 5+Ip. 1-3ERs.

Atlanta to me gets a SP with upside that maybe pitching in the Pitcher's friendly NL East turns 5+IP to 6+IP/7IP consistently of equal 1-3ERs. It sounds like Atl is on the verge of either transitioning to selling too so there's always the Miller flip that can happen if he lives up to being a Front-Line Starter.

Does Jenkins become a stud or a flame out dud? He throws hard enough you figure for Walden you at least get back you value lost in RP with the upside to be something as a Starter.

This deal to me makes StL much, much more likely to be a 95-100 win team next season and in the process really handcuffs Milw's honest hopes to put together a run in the final seasons of Lohse/Gallardo/ARam/Lind before watching them leave with nothing to show for it. IE this trade should force Milw in to a Rebuild mode. Just wait for the Cubs to gain an Ace in the FA market+ another quality arm to rely on. Pittsburgh is loaded. Milwaukee may play lights out in 2015 just to make 74wins in a division they are just outgunned in. Best in all of Baseball.

Archived