Brewer Fanatic

Diamondbacks acquire Jeremy Hellickson

nate82

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/diamondbacks-to-acquire-jeremy-hellickson.html

The Dbacks have acquired Hellickson from the Rays. The Rays will be receiving OF Justin Williams and SS Andrew Velazquez. This is a nice haul for the Rays for Hellickson and I like this deal a lot for the Rays. The Rays were able to trade an extra bottom of the rotation pitcher for basically one very good prospect and one wild card prospect.

Some info on the prospects:

From Scoutingbook.com

A very big, strong shortstop, Justin Williams is a high-school player most likely destined for a corner spot in MLB thanks to his increasing size and strength. The proud owner of a very big power bat from the left side of the plate, Williams lit up the PG National Showcase with upper-deck bombs in the Metrodome. His swing, while a bit complicated for some scouts, is definitely quick: he doesn't rely on a loopy, loaded pull swing like some young power hitters. With an arm good enough for an outfield corner or third base, the real question will be how quickly he can rise as a hitter, through the ranks of better and better pitching in professional ball.

A smallish, switch hitting shortstop from the Bronx, Andrew Velazquez was drafted by the Diamondbacks in the seventh round of the 2012 Rule 4 Draft as a teenager. With acceptable range and a strong arm, he could stick at shortstop, though some scouts would still rather see him at second base thanks to his smallish size. He does have exceptional speed, so his range could improve as he gains experience. While he's never shown a power game, he does have a quick, strong swing, and coaches do believe he could grow into 20-home-run capability as his body fills out.

Great deal by Tampa Bay. 2 HS aged minor leaguers with upside for someone who just isn't putting it together while getting expensive. The Prize here is Williams. Who reads as a younger Lefty Khris Davis only better defensively. Likely a borderline future top 100 prospect just too raw to list at this point.

What this trade does for me, is give me an idea on what Gallardo/Lohse would be worth in trade. Those 2 are certainly a better pitching option than Hellickson imo and give me hope that if a trade were to happen involving those 2, the team stands to pick up a nice Upside Player+ to groom the rest of the way to the Bigs.

Williams a 52nd pick in 2013(MLB had him ranked 90th before the draft) pure power upside

I'd think the team could latch on to a top 2 round pick from either 2013/2012 who has upside/shown some of their potential meaning ahead of Williams today.

Archived