Brewer Fanatic

Giancarlo Stanton re-ups with Marlins at 13 years $325 Million

Bombers
I think labeling the stadium deal as a scam is a stretch. Unless you think there is no value in living in a city with a MLB team. As I stated in a previous post..Yes, Selig benefited, but so did the community. Brewers would not be here without a new stadium. Period. Very rarely do teams fully finance their own stadium and Selig did not sell the stadium, he sold the franchise which had a greater value because of the new stadium. He was going to sell the team regardless of the new stadium. If he had sold it without the stadium, they would have moved...or at the very least the new buyers would have demanded a new stadium (tax payer financed) before agreeing to keep the stadium here. I'll never understand all the ranting regarding Miller Park.

Sorry, i was referring to the Marlins owner. Getting back to the original point of the thread, should have made it clear.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And of course the stadium deal was a scam. But what did he do the first year, he went out and bought several big free agents to try and win. Yes it didn't work but he did try. Then when they weren't winning he ditched the bad contracts for prospects, probably the smart move and has been a competitive team most years since. Aside from all the shady business deals you hear about with him the actual baseball team operations has been from the worst.

Back on to Loria. If he was the worst owner is sports he wouldn't have offered this contract to Stanton and would have instead traded him already.

These two things coincide with preparing to sell a team. Part of that stadium that was built for him, was he couldn't sell the team for a period which I think ended in 2015? Maybe 2016 which fully shows he's getting out as soon as it is allowed.

Jose Fernandez was option 1 for a Franchise face, he didn't play ball in contract negotiations. Stanton immediately became that franchise face for which you sell up your team franchise on. Adding others, he spent some money in order to attract future buyers, every bit like Milwaukee did with Selig's ownership. Fielder, Weeks, Hart, Hardy, Gallardo, Rogers, Tony Gwynn Jr all guys that would have been on an up and up to sell a franchise to. Here's a winner forthcoming, you can fill your seats with, full on flexibility with the payroll to make the team as you'd like.

I'm going to say that with Selig's experience and the flame out he experienced, Loria and him being friends have discussed this and found a better plan. To have secured the Face of the Franchise on the ML roster vs. in the works in the Minors. But, that's the conspiracy I'm going with.

All I know, is I lived in Miami, went to baseball games and they had no fans there. They may have been posting 10-14k but I wouldn't put 5k in the stands in attendance at those games. Now, they got this new stadium and it's located downtown Miami which was the argument to what kept their attendance down at the other stadium. approx a lil over 1.7mil the last 3years. The last three years before the new stadium? You can give an avg of 1.5million.

That is less than 2500 more fans per game in attendance than what they had been getting. They went from being the worst to 4th worst in attendance, to 3rd to 4th worst still.

Loria got himself a Futbol stadium built in the form of a baseball stadium. When he sells this team, just wait for MLS to find a home at this stadium. Where instead of less than 17,500 people attend are near full capacity. It's a soccer city, not a baseball city, there are far too many immigrants or illegals that are from countries where soccer reigns supreme...sorry I mean futbol. Said this before on Sunday during the NFL season, you find bars only playing soccer and have to search for one with NFL playing. That is how big futbol is.

Archived