Brewer Fanatic

Giancarlo Stanton re-ups with Marlins at 13 years $325 Million

Bombers
Those are all pretty bad, but the Marlins have to burn off roughly $100,000,000 just to get to the starting value of the Votto contract. And unlike Cabrera or Votto, Stanton barely has a track record as an elite-elite player. It's bonkers.

Stanton just turned 25. Votto was 28 when he signed his deal. Cabrera signed his deal a month before he turned 31.

Stanton through age 24.

.271/.364/.540/.904

Votto through age 24.

.300/.367/.511/.878

Cabrera through age 24.

.313/.388/.542/.929

You're completely underrating Stanton here. He's got probably 8 years of elite production left and after that he should still be pretty good for a couple years. He was better than Votto at the same age and pretty much on par with Cabrera.

It's not that I don't think he can be a great player, the reason this contract is so bad is because the enormous risk the Marlins are taking on (for no reason). He could very easily have a great career and justify the contract, no question. He could also get injured and/or fall off a cliff like so many players do year after year.

That's why these mega-contracts are almost a bad idea. The only time it almost makes sense is if you are dealing with a once-in-a-generation type player (like Alex Rodriguez, or Pujols but he was obviously too old at the time). Stanton is a really good player, but he's nowhere close to that level (at least not yet). They're paying $350M for a hope and a prayer.

This is a guy that was worth 2.3 fWAR as recently as 2013. Come on, it's a horrendous deal.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only concern in the contract is the fact that it is coming at a time he just sat shelved for the remainder of the season due to being hit in the face near his eyes.

There has never been a bad word said about Stanton's Power/his ability to barrel a ball. Everyone ooohs and Ahhhs about the sound he makes when he hits a baseball. Personally you're looking at a guy who likely hits 50HRs a season if he played at Miller Park vs. where he does in Miami. Wouldn't you want to lock up a 50HR a year guy who's power is unquestioned long term while he's 24? I think it's safe to say he's going to hit 400+HRs through the next 13years....if there's nothing wrong with his vision. And I actually feel bad for just saying 400+ because I'm likely cheating on the easy side. Should gamble and say it's very likely he hits 475+HRs in 13years.

If he were a Brewer I'd say 600HRs if not more. He has Legit HOF Power. BRef has his Age 24 comparison to include one Frank Robinson.

Now I've said this since it happened but the rumor was put out there that Jose Fernandez hasn't been willing to come to an extension in the talks for one. He's likely in a year to year test FA. I believed that when the Stadium was built(funded mostly by the public) the rush up of Fernandez in 2013 that the Owner Loria was positioning himself in the exact manner Bud Selig did with the Brewers. To tank in to good draft picks, get the stadium, identify Franchise players and extend them and then proceed to Sell the team for max profit.

Some new ownership group was staring at having this stadium, a Franchise Power Hitting OF+ Franchise Ace SP in Fernandez that are being attempted to have lengthy extensions such as Stanton's to market after buying. Throw in Yelich plus Kolek down the road?

Meanwhile Loria made max profits spending $0 practically to run the Marlins since he sold off Reyes/Ramirez and the bunch. If Fernandez isn't extended before the end of next season, watch Yelich have a lengthy extension done before the end of next season.

Anyway end rant, this kind of deal is the footwork to show Miami fans the organization is going to build it's payroll and position themselves to win....just the real FA spending won't happen until Loria has sold his 158.5mil investment/ownership to that new group likely in the 600-750mil range due to that stadium+Franchise player having. One of Bud's Guys getting filthy rich w/o having really done any good for the sport.

It's not that I don't think he can be a great player, the reason this contract is so bad is because the enormous risk the Marlins are taking on (for no reason). He could very easily have a great career and justify the contract, no question. He could also get injured and/or fall off a cliff like so many players do year after year.

That's why these mega-contracts are almost a bad idea. The only time it almost makes sense is if you are dealing with a once-in-a-generation type player (like Alex Rodriguez, or Pujols but he was obviously too old at the time). Stanton is a really good player, but he's nowhere close to that level (at least not yet). They're paying $350M for a hope and a prayer.

This is a guy that was worth 2.3 fWAR as recently as 2013. Come on, it's a horrendous deal.

I agree there's a ton of risk in the contract. The problem is the Marlins have a horrible history of signing players and then trading them early, so I think Stanton probably wanted some protection. I'm committing to you so you have to commit to me if you want me to sign.

You could make the argument that they would be better off trading him for a huge haul and I wouldn't argue it but what does that tell the already angry at Loria fan base?

I think it's safe to say he's going to hit 400+HRs through the next 13years....if there's nothing wrong with his vision. And I actually feel bad for just saying 400+ because I'm likely cheating on the easy side. Should gamble and say it's very likely he hits 475+HRs in 13years.

If he were a Brewer I'd say 600HRs if not more. He has Legit HOF Power. BRef has his Age 24 comparison to include one Frank Robinson.

That's pretty generous for a guy who hasn't even hit 40 HR in season yet.

I just don't get the hype I guess (hype meaning Hall of Fame caliber talent as opposed to just a fantastic, top-10 OF that any team would kill to have).

I think it's safe to say he's going to hit 400+HRs through the next 13years....if there's nothing wrong with his vision. And I actually feel bad for just saying 400+ because I'm likely cheating on the easy side. Should gamble and say it's very likely he hits 475+HRs in 13years.

That's pretty generous for a guy who hasn't even hit 40 HR in season yet.

I just don't get the hype I guess (hype meaning Hall of Fame caliber talent as opposed to just a fantastic, top-10 OF that any team would kill to have).

37HRs two years ago in 123 games. 37Hrs this year in 145. His 162 game averages would list him at 39HRs. He hasn't hit the 40HRs Yet. They're coming. Don't forget he's resigned to playing in the big NL East ballparks not HR friendly.

He's also had a nobody batting behind him generally for protection. Casey McGehee, Logan Morrison/Marcell Ozuna, Carlos Lee/LoMo/Ruggiano/Greg Dobbs, Dobbs/LoMo, 2010 had Helms/Ross/Paulino/Pitchers!

It doesn't really look good in regards to having protection in the Minors pipelines. It's going to be McGehee/Ozuna for some time barring a FA signing at some point. Or via Trade. Still, this is a HR hitter in a Pitchers park with HR stats comparable to Braun who had Fielder/ARam as his protection.

The 40HR seasons will come, I mean hell, Victor Martinez just hit 32HRs at the age of 35 after never hitting more than 25 in any season prior. He's going to have some crazy single season HR year where 50+ wouldn't be surprising. His avg true HR distance of all 37 were 415feet. 484, 470, 469, 466, 463, 457, and 450 foot+ HRs. 7 450plus HRs. Other names with multiple 450 plus in 2014:

Justin Upton 477/457 Edwin Encarnacion 457/455 Hunter Pence 456/454 and Billy Butler 453/451

He had 7. Only 4 other batters had multiples and none of the reached higher than 2. That's the Hype about him as a hitter.

He had 7. Only 4 other batters had multiples and none of the reached higher than 2. That's the Hype about him as a hitter.

He has incredible raw power, no doubt about it. But I don't see anything Hall of Fame about him yet other than the fact that he was rushed to the majors, so he has good counting stats for his age. His other hit tools are weak: his career stats suggest that he is a mid-.200's hitter with a mid-.300's OBP (last season those stats peaked for him, because had a .353 BABIP...). In other words, he's not even close to the power hitter that someone like Prince Fielder was at the same age.

I'm very glad the Brewers didn't give Prince a $350M contract after his age-25 season. And yes, the Brewers are the correct comparator, because the Marlins are not a huge payroll team.

thanks for that team friendly contract, Braun! LUV U

Taking a closer look at Braun's deal makes me appreciate how the Brewers front loaded the contract while still deferring $18M ($4M each in 2016-18 and $3M each in 2019-20) to be paid out over the following ten years. Meaning the most they will be on the hook for in any one season will be $15M. This is very reasonable considering what other top players are now signing for. Well done DM and MA especially if Braun can return to form.

The Brewers did not front load Braun's contract at all.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Community Moderator
Undesirable franchises have to overpay to retain top talent. Although in this case, the player option is what looks bad for the Marlins. I'm guessing it was their only hope to get him to the bargaining table. As for the money, $32 million seems reasonable, that assumes 4-5 WAR per year at the current market price.

Taking from MLBTR:

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has confirmed the signing of Stanton to a 13-year deal, reports Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald. Loria called this a “landmark day” and noted, “It means everything to the franchise. We have a face of the franchise for the next 13 years.” Loria said he expects Stanton to be a Marlin for the next 13 seasons. “I did this for the city, the fans, for Giancarlo, our team, for myself and for baseball,” Loria told Navarro.

SELLING POINTS. 13years face of the Franchise, for the city/fans/Stanton/Marlins/MYSELF+for Baseball.

Forbes Valuation of the Franchise was 500mil March of 2014. 2011:360mil. with this blurb:

The skinny

The Marlins are scheduled to move into their new, $515 million ballpark by the beginning of the 2012 season. The team is contributing only $155 million of the domed ballpark's financing, with taxpayers funding the rest. Although the county will own the ballpark, the Marlins will get revenue from suites and advertising that they currently do not get at Sun Life Stadium, which is owned by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross. Forbes has been showing for years that the Marlins have been among the most profitable teams in baseball, but politicians who voted for the publicly financed stadium said they were surprised to learn that the team was making so much money after the Marlins' financial documents were leaked. Owner Jeffrey Luria had been lining his pockets with money he has gotten from the league's revenue-sharing system instead of signing good players. Politicians could have saved taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars with a little more due diligence.

Watch Loria make 650mil selling the team after this year or the year after. Whenever he completes his next big extension of Fernandez or Yelich. Sorry I have such a hate for the guy and the stadium deal and how everything is playing out is so easy to predict. He kept team payroll under 60mil making 20+million yearly since 2006 Covers only 30% of his stadium cost which again 360mil-500mil valuation is his entire cost to get the stadium on his end to begin with. Free money...hundreds of Millions of $$ being given to this guy running the team strictly "For Myself"

Taking from MLBTR:

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has confirmed the signing of Stanton to a 13-year deal, reports Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald. Loria called this a “landmark day” and noted, “It means everything to the franchise. We have a face of the franchise for the next 13 years.” Loria said he expects Stanton to be a Marlin for the next 13 seasons. “I did this for the city, the fans, for Giancarlo, our team, for myself and for baseball,” Loria told Navarro.

SELLING POINTS. 13years face of the Franchise, for the city/fans/Stanton/Marlins/MYSELF+for Baseball.

Forbes Valuation of the Franchise was 500mil March of 2014. 2011:360mil. with this blurb:

The skinny

The Marlins are scheduled to move into their new, $515 million ballpark by the beginning of the 2012 season. The team is contributing only $155 million of the domed ballpark's financing, with taxpayers funding the rest. Although the county will own the ballpark, the Marlins will get revenue from suites and advertising that they currently do not get at Sun Life Stadium, which is owned by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross. Forbes has been showing for years that the Marlins have been among the most profitable teams in baseball, but politicians who voted for the publicly financed stadium said they were surprised to learn that the team was making so much money after the Marlins' financial documents were leaked. Owner Jeffrey Luria had been lining his pockets with money he has gotten from the league's revenue-sharing system instead of signing good players. Politicians could have saved taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars with a little more due diligence.

Watch Loria make 650mil selling the team after this year or the year after. Whenever he completes his next big extension of Fernandez or Yelich. Sorry I have such a hate for the guy and the stadium deal and how everything is playing out is so easy to predict. He kept team payroll under 60mil making 20+million yearly since 2006 Covers only 30% of his stadium cost which again 360mil-500mil valuation is his entire cost to get the stadium on his end to begin with. Free money...hundreds of Millions of $$ being given to this guy running the team strictly "For Myself"

and yet they have more world series than the brewers do :(

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Taking from MLBTR:

That's hilarious

Stanton will only make 30 million over the next three years. By year four when the real money starts having to get shelled out, if the Marlins aren't winning, i think it's a near lock that Loria trades Stanton and Stanton agrees to be traded to a bigger market team who spends money to compete for titles like say the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
I read he has a no trade clause and can op out at 30. Sweet deal for him

According to the Pirates President Frank Coonelly (at Piratefest) this is exactly what the Marlins are counting on per this article. I wouldn't usually be so quick to believe this, but it certainly does sound like something that would fit Loria's reputation. Here is the part of the article that is applicable:

When asked for his reaction to Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton's 13-year, $325 million extension, president Frank Coonelly chuckled and said, “It seems like Monopoly money, doesn't it?”

Coonelly then got off his stool on the stage and stepped toward the crowd. He talked about an exchange he had with Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and president David Samson during the recent owner's meetings.

“They thought it was a great deal,” Coonelly said. “I just couldn't get my head around the $325 million. They said to me, ‘You don't understand. (Stanton) has an out clause after six years. Those first six years are only going to cost $107 million. After that, he'll leave and play for somebody else. So, it's not really $325 million.' “

The implication from Coonelly is that the Marlins signed Stanton to a record-setting deal with the expectation that he will bolt when it's only halfway complete.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 2 years later...
Taking from MLBTR:

The skinny

Mlbtr just posted Loria is open to selling the team. 1.7billion asking with a 1.3billion offer before.

Completely despise this guy. What a scam Bud Selig started, and as predicted is coming to fruition. I wonder just how much money Loria has ever really spent, with Miami receiving revenue sharing, public funded stadium that Was not heralded for, but shoved down their throats. I cant believe over 1billion being discussed more than double what Forbes rated the Franchise back to this moment.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
And yet he has more rings than the Brewers do.

Which says what?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This has to be the worst contract in sports history given his injury history.

Joey Votto is still owed 180 million dollars and he's 33 years old. Granted, he's a fabulous hitter and his on base skills should keep him good for awhile, but it's only a matter of just when not if that contract becomes ugly.

Which says what?

Everyone likes to pile on him for being "the worst owner in sports" but his team has won more championships under his ownership than most of the rest of the league. He's also (at times) made more of an effort to field a competitive team than the vast majority of other teams.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Which says what?

Everyone likes to pile on him for being "the worst owner in sports" but his team has won more championships under his ownership than most of the rest of the league. He's also (at times) made more of an effort to field a competitive team than the vast majority of other teams.

He's won one World Series. He bought the team (well was given ownership) in 2002 and they won it all in 2003. So if you want to credit him for that go ahead I guess. John Henry was owner when they won in 97

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's not about what he's accomplished by winning a World Series, it's how he's manipulated his way into serious money without spending many dimes of his own, if any. Predicted from the onset when the public was forced to pay to build a stadium he barely had to pay in to, and boom, Just a few years later he's looking to sell the team. Thank you Miami Taxpayers for making my ownership over 1billion dollars.

Should have never been awarded to build a stadium for a fanbase that has no interest in Baseball. The League should have forced Miami to sell their franchise, but Selig of course made sure his friend was to come in to some serious cash, much more than what Bud himself came away with in the Miller Park stadium deal. Just absolutely despise them both.

It's not about what he's accomplished by winning a World Series, it's how he's manipulated his way into serious money without spending many dimes of his own, if any. Predicted from the onset when the public was forced to pay to build a stadium he barely had to pay in to, and boom, Just a few years later he's looking to sell the team. Thank you Miami Taxpayers for making my ownership over 1billion dollars.

Should have never been awarded to build a stadium for a fanbase that has no interest in Baseball. The League should have forced Miami to sell their franchise, but Selig of course made sure his friend was to come in to some serious cash, much more than what Bud himself came away with in the Miller Park stadium deal. Just absolutely despise them both.

How can you be a brewer fan and despise Bud Selig? Doesn't make any sense. The irony of it is that if it were not for Bud Selig, this website would not exist.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Which says what?

He won one world series and did it in a way that killed the entire fanbase to the point where their average attendance barely breaks 20k.

MLB had an opportunity to move the Marlins out of Florida and taken care of this situation. All they had to do was move the Rays to Miami and move the Marlins to somewhere else preferably to a city on the west coast. Then they could have moved the Pirates to the NL East where they belong and could have kept the Astros in the NL Central.

Archived