Giancarlo Stanton re-ups with Marlins at 13 years $325 Million

Bombers

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for that team friendly contract, Braun! LUV U

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

thanks for that team friendly contract, Braun! LUV U

Taking a closer look at Braun's deal makes me appreciate how the Brewers front loaded the contract while still deferring $18M ($4M each in 2016-18 and $3M each in 2019-20) to be paid out over the following ten years. Meaning the most they will be on the hook for in any one season will be $15M. This is very reasonable considering what other top players are now signing for. Well done DM and MA especially if Braun can return to form.

That is an incredible amount of money that Stanton just guaranteed himself. The Marlins just committed to one player like 6x the total salary they paid last year. There is no way the last 5 years of this deal or good at all but props for Stanton for taking Miami over the woodshed. Hopefully there is a no trade clause and an early opt out so Stanton controls this more than the scumbag Loria.

Based on their average payroll over the past seven seasons ($51.6M), Stanton new AAV ($25M) would account for nearly half their payroll. This is a recipe for disaster.

I'd guess that big-money teams like CHC, BOS, etc. would be almost literally willing to trade away their entire farm systems for Stanton, if the Marlins actually decide to make him available at some point in the next few years. While it's a ton of money, I actually think Miami are in a great position since Giancarlo is only entering his age-25 season.

I don't think MIA would trade him until he was closer to or past age 30, though. Pretty clear imo that they're going to try to build for serious contention around his age-25 through age-28/29 seasons or so.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

While it's a ton of money, I actually think Miami are in a great position since Giancarlo is only entering his age-25 season.

I wouldn't say that Miami is in a great position. He hasn't seen a live game since taking a fastball to the face and it is not like the same injury hasn't completely derailed people's careers before. I think I would have waited a bit to make sure he is the same player before I gave him a $300 million guaranteed.

Looking at his contract compared to what some of the others got and it isn't as outrageous as it first appears. The biggest issue with some of those contracts was how much money they would be paying guys in their 40's. He will be 38 at the end of this one. Barring injury, which I suspect they insured against, he could reasonable be expected to still contribute all the way through. Probably not commensurate to the pay but, in 2025 dollars, it might be close.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Instantly one of the worst contracts of all time. Stanton has been injured in all but one of the seasons in his career, has never had an OBP north of .400, and has a peak fWAR of 6.1 (Rickie Weeks's career peak was 5.8 fWAR...). Severely overrated because of HR and RBI, just like Prince Fielder. If Stanton is worth $325M, then what is Mike Trout worth, $600M?

While the length is ridiculous Stanton is pretty young for a contract like that. As long as he's able to come back from getting beaned last year they are probably getting 8 more great years of production out of him.

Emphasis on "probably" - if he falls off like so many promising young players have in the past, then it's a historic albatross. They're basically banking on him being a Hall of Fame player, which is absolutely insane (and unnecessary) for a guy with so many flaws in his game. I don't get it at all.

Instantly one of the worst contracts of all time. Stanton has been injured in all but one of the seasons in his career, has never had an OBP north of .400, and has a peak fWAR of 6.1 (Rickie Weeks's career peak was 5.8 fWAR...). Severely overrated because of HR and RBI, just like Prince Fielder. If Stanton is worth $325M, then what is Mike Trout worth, $600M?

13 years is crazy, but i'd rather have Stanton's contract on my books if i owned a team compared to say the Votto contract with the Reds. While a healthy Votto is probably the last hitter i'd want at the plate with say the bases loaded two outs in the 9th of a one run game vs the Brewers in an important game, he is already 31 and the Reds will be paying him an insane 25 million per through 2024.

Miguel Cabrera is a great great HOF hitter, but he's also 31 and not exactly a guy who keeps himself in tip top shape. Over the next nine years Detroit will owe him 270 million dollars with an 8 million dollar buyout in 2024 which i'd bet will be exercised vs paying him 30 million when he's likely a shell of his former self at age 41.

The Angels still owe the declining Albert Pujols 192 million dollars through the 2021 season. This is the same Pujols who has posted back to back sub-.800 OPS seasons.

My guess is that by the time Boras gets Max Scherzer signed, he'll instantly join this list if he gets some sort of 7-8 year deal nearing or topping 200 million for a 30 year old starting pitcher who saw his average velocity drop a bit last year even though he was still really good.

These super long contracts in the 8 years or longer range do baffle me given the odds are so slim of each one not becoming an albatross at some point, especially when handed out to guys nearing the age of 30 or already older than that. I do understand the high yearly salaries simply because team and overall league revenues are skyrocketing, so the corresponding salary inflation is to be expected. It's just the length of so many of these deals which i can't wrap my brain around, not the yearly salaries.

13 years is crazy, but i'd rather have Stanton's contract on my books if i owned a team compared to say the Votto contract with the Reds. While a healthy Votto is probably the last hitter i'd want at the plate with say the bases loaded two outs in the 9th of a one run game vs the Brewers in an important game, he is already 31 and the Reds will be paying him an insane 25 million per through 2024.

Miguel Cabrera is a great great HOF hitter, but he's also 31 and not exactly a guy who keeps himself in tip top shape. Over the next nine years Detroit will owe him 270 million dollars with an 8 million dollar buyout in 2024 which i'd bet will be exercised vs paying him 30 million when he's likely a shell of his former self at age 41.

The Angels still owe the declining Albert Pujols 192 million dollars through the 2021 season. This is the same Pujols who has posted back to back sub-.800 OPS seasons.

My guess is that by the time Boras gets Max Scherzer signed, he'll instantly join this list if he gets some sort of 7-8 year deal nearing or topping 200 million for a 30 year old starting pitcher who saw his average velocity drop a bit last year even though he was still really good.

These super long contracts in the 8 years or longer range do baffle me given the odds are so slim of each one not becoming an albatross at some point, especially when handed out to guys nearing the age of 30 or already older than that. I do understand the high yearly salaries simply because team and overall league revenues are skyrocketing, so the corresponding salary inflation is to be expected. It's just the length of so many of these deals which i can't wrap my brain around, not the yearly salaries.

Those are all pretty bad, but the Marlins have to burn off roughly $100,000,000 just to get to the starting value of the Votto contract. And unlike Cabrera or Votto, Stanton barely has a track record as an elite-elite player. It's bonkers.

Can't forget that horrible Prince Fielder contract either, who was actually below replacement value last year. Oof.

Even with his worrisome thumb issues, the Braun contract is looking pretty great (in comparison).

Let's not kid ourselves and pretend Stanton isn't elite. He is. I don't see a lot of risk with a 25 year old proven outfielder. The big question to me is whether or not the Marlins are ever going to increase payroll enough to win anything. A lot of good, small payroll teams would have traded him just because it's too much of a chunk out of their payroll.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Those are all pretty bad, but the Marlins have to burn off roughly $100,000,000 just to get to the starting value of the Votto contract. And unlike Cabrera or Votto, Stanton barely has a track record as an elite-elite player. It's bonkers.

He'll burn off more than that by the time he reaches Votto's currant age. In fact he will be almost halfway through that contract by the time he reaches Votto's age. It's about $25 million per year so by the sixth year he will have burned off $150 million of it. While I wouldn't want the Brewers to do it, relatively speaking, this is not as terrible of a contract as some are making it out to be. Especially when you take into consideration how much less $25 million is likely to get you in six or seven years compared to now.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Stanton just turned 25. Votto was 28 when he signed his deal. Cabrera signed his deal a month before he turned 31.

Stanton through age 24.

.271/.364/.540/.904

Votto through age 24.

.300/.367/.511/.878

Cabrera through age 24.

.313/.388/.542/.929

You're completely underrating Stanton here. He's got probably 8 years of elite production left and after that he should still be pretty good for a couple years. He was better than Votto at the same age and pretty much on par with Cabrera.

Archived