Brewer Fanatic

Our new (old) shortstop?

pacopete4

Takashi Toritani:

Toritani, who has spent his entire career with the Hanshin Tigers, is a lifetime .285/.372/.412 hitter that comes with a solid defensive reputation. He’s been incredibly durable, with Boras referring to his client as the “kind of the Cal Ripken of Japan.” While Toritani’s offense isn’t likely to be on par with that of the Baltimore iron man, Boras points out that Toritani has not missed a single game in the past 10 seasons — a highly impressive feat. Even more impressive, however, is that Toritani has not missed so much as an inning at shortstop in that stretch — an incredible span of 1,444 games. (Not surprisingly, Toritani is the NPB record holder for consecutive games played.)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/japanese-shortstop-takashi-toritani-hires-scott-boras.html

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

From what I've heard, he is a patient hitter (career .372 OBP), has decent power (20 HR in 2009 and 19 HR in 2010), has a strong arm and great range. He also played 2B and 3B during the WBC so it appears he is quite versatile. He would be the perfect super utility player although it appears he isn't interested in coming over to be a part time player.

From what I've heard, he is a patient hitter (career .372 OBP), has decent power (20 HR in 2009 and 19 HR in 2010), has a strong arm and great range. He also played 2B and 3B during the WBC so it appears he is quite versatile. He would be the perfect super utility player although it appears he isn't interested in coming over to be a part time player.

I guess it depends on if he's not actually getting to play everyday. If he was our main backup at all three of those positions, he should truly be playing every game. It just may not being always at SS. And if he's getting on base 37% of the time, he can be my shortstop any time.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
With ARam gone in a year and with Segura struggling, I'd like to see the Brewers show interest in getting a steady glove and bat on the left side of the infield this year. Segura could play some 2nd base for Gennett, as well, this year. We'd be somewhat covered in 2016 at SS and 3rd.

Archived