Brewer Fanatic

Will a Trade w/Braves Be Announced Today? -- Brewers acquire CF Kyle Wren from ATL for RHP Zach Quintana (post #45)

Mass Haas

OK, bear with me, first Tom Haudricourt tweeted on Wednesday evening --

Would #Brewers trade a starting pitcher? They could use some payroll flexibility and Braves have been asking around at the GM meetings.

W.G. Ramirez is an Associated Press sports writer based out of Las Vegas. His various recent AP articles can be found here.

So late Wednesday (OK, maybe not so late from Vegas), he tweeted --

Former Arbor View standout Zach Quintana was traded from the @Brewers organization to the @Braves organization today. #MLB

Now, a little bit on Zach Quintana - he was the Brewers' 3rd round pick in 2012, a 5'11" RHP out of a Las Vegas high school.

He'll turn 21 in April, and his pro numbers thus far have not been pretty -- one season each in Maryvale, Helena, and Wisconsin.

So obviously, or seemingly so, Quintana is not going to be traded on his own. He's the exact type of flyer/throw-in that is normally part of a larger deal. A player who was highly regarded on draft day, who based on performance, his current organization may have soured on. Perhaps the Braves really liked him in 2012 as well, and are anxious for their coaches to take a shot on.

Must admit, it's fascinating to learn the mechanisms behind Ramirez' tweet. Did the Brewers inform Zach directly (we imagine so). And then did the Braves contact him to welcome him into their organization?

And then did someone in the Quintana household, Zach himself or a parent, give Ramirez, the local sports writer who likely wrote about Zach during his prep school days, a phone call?

Have to love the fun and intrigue social media has given the hot stove season in recent years.

EDIT:

The sportswriter who first hinted at this has replied to an inquiry from Adam of @BrewerNation fame --

@AP_WG Good morning, Willie. Any additional detail you can provide on the Quintana scoop? Being local, did you hear it from his family? Thx!

@BrewerNation Yes, on last question. Saw elsewhere from reliable source. Waiting for details via MLB or AP.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do know the Braves have inquired about Lohse in the past. Gosselin and Carpenter for Lohse and Quintana? Gosselin's splits vs. lefties in AAA were very impressive: .361/.412/.536. Have to think he'd make a nice platoon partner for Scooter and be a candidate for 3B at some point too.

I like the Kubitza suggestion as well.

If think if the Brewers are going to trade anyone it would be Gallardo. DM will keep Garza around since he has 2 years left and I think Lohse is simply better than Gallardo at this point.

Now I have no idea what to expect back if we trade Gallardo and Quintana although it has got to be something decent. Braves don't have a whole lot of positional players to offer in a trade other than Kubitza that would be considered realistic. Kubitza would fill a huge organizational need and was at AA last year so he could step in for Aram in 2016 and provide injury insurance in 2015. Looks like he has more gap power than HR power. 24 years old and is a lefty; I would be on board with that. Gallardo + Quintana for Kubitza + reliever.

I would be happy with Lohse or Gallardo sent along for six years of a likely decent 3rd baseman and a now reliever. Kubitza has a great OBP (100 points over batting average each year). A great hypothesis started by Mass. Good fun to just think about it.

You may think Lohse is simply better that Gallardo FBF, but the stats say they were nearly identical in 2014. Gallardo's 7 years younger, and if he repeats his 2014 numbers, Brewers could well extend him a QO and thus get something out of him should he go FA. Even if he posts another solid year are the Brewers going to give Lohse a QO at 37? Maybe, but not likely.

I wouldn't be opposed to dealing either as that opens up a spot for Nelson and frees up some money to shop for a candidate to add back some depth to rotation. I'm just suggesting Braves have had interest in Lohse in the past. Gallardo's got a very good record against the Braves and they could well be targeting him.

I wouldn't dismiss Gosselin entirely. He had a breakout year at AAA : .344/.379/.487, and was ok in his major league trial. He lacks the ideal power you'd like for 3B, but he has played there and he's a logical guy for 2B platoon this year.

Well it could theoretically be Upton or Heyward if you were to include Khris Davis in a deal. Probably pretty unlikely but if those are the guys they are trying to move I don't think it eliminates the Brewers; other than Gattis of course.

I preference would be to trade Gallardo before Lohse but it is really a pretty close race between those two; and it all comes down to a potential return. You probably could get more for Gallardo than Lohse simply because of the age difference.

Reports are the Braves are looking to move Gattis and possibly Heyward and the Uptons. None of those guys fits a need for the Brewers so it's probably not any of them.

I think the Braves could be pursuing several tracks in search of pitching. Guys like Gattis, Justin Upton are dangled more for a guy with top half of rotation stuff and some control beyond 2015.. B.J. Upton has negative value. They look at Lohse and figure he'd give them what Harang gave them in the 4th spot in 2014 without long term commitment.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As someone that has wanted a move for LH 3B Garin Cecchini from the Red Sox, would Braves prospect Kyle Kubitza be a possibility?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=kubitz000kyl

John Sickels just did his look at the Braves ranked Kubitza as their #6 prospect, giving him a B- ranking. Not a bad looking player. He would fit the Brewers time frame perfectly - put him at AAA for 2015 and, if he does well, give him the inside track in 2016 at 3B.

Here's Sickel's review:

6) Kyle Kubitza, 3B, Grade B-: Age 24, hit .295/.405/.470 in Double-A, nice swing from the left side, draws walks, strikes out a lot, high OBP type, not as much home run power as you’d expect given size/strength but not punchless. Has made progress on defense, not a gold glove but will field well enough to play regularly if the bat produces as expected.

As someone that has wanted a move for LH 3B Garin Cecchini from the Red Sox, would Braves prospect Kyle Kubitza be a possibility?

John Sickels just did his look at the Braves ranked Kubitza as their #6 prospect, giving him a B- ranking. Not a bad looking player. He would fit the Brewers time frame perfectly - put him at AAA for 2015 and, if he does well, give him the inside track in 2016 at 3B.

Here's Sickel's review:

6) Kyle Kubitza, 3B, Grade B-: Age 24, hit .295/.405/.470 in Double-A, nice swing from the left side, draws walks, strikes out a lot, high OBP type, not as much home run power as you’d expect given size/strength but not punchless. Has made progress on defense, not a gold glove but will field well enough to play regularly if the bat produces as expected.

High strikeouts are a major concern (see Mike Olt and Matt Davidson). Given Atlanta's recent history, I can understand their willingness to shop him.

You may think Lohse is simply better that Gallardo FBF, but the stats say they were nearly identical in 2014. Gallardo's 7 years younger, and if he repeats his 2014 numbers, Brewers could well extend him a QO and thus get something out of him should he go FA. Even if he posts another solid year are the Brewers going to give Lohse a QO at 37? Maybe, but not likely.

Lohse pitched .4 innings a game started more than Gallardo. Do I think Lohse will pitch better than Gallardo in 2017, no, - but in 2015, yes I do. But I wouldn't hold up the trade if Atlanta specifically wants one or the other.

Trading for Heyward would be a fun idea because he's a lefty bat that I believe still has more to give to this game than he has and he plays a pretty good RF, which means Braun could get back to LF. Davis is intriguing though because he is cheap and has not reached his max either. I think I'd pull the trigger on getting Hayward though, we are righty dominate. It'd be fun.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Here's Sickel's review:

High strikeouts are a major concern (see Mike Olt and Matt Davidson). Given Atlanta's recent history, I can understand their willingness to shop him.

High strike out rates are always a concern. Some guys seem to sink with them, others survive.

Kubitza led the Southern League in strike outs - but he also lead the league in walks. All prospects have their risks. With all the strikeouts, you'd think he'd have a bit more power.

The sportswriter who first hinted at this has replied to an inquiry from Adam of @BrewerNation fame --

@AP_WG Good morning, Willie. Any additional detail you can provide on the Quintana scoop? Being local, did you hear it from his family? Thx!

@BrewerNation Yes, on last question. Saw elsewhere from reliable source. Waiting for details via MLB or AP.

Trading for Heyward would be a fun idea because he's a lefty bat that I believe still has more to give to this game than he has and he plays a pretty good RF, which means Braun could get back to LF. Davis is intriguing though because he is cheap and has not reached his max either. I think I'd pull the trigger on getting Hayward though, we are righty dominate. It'd be fun.

I would be all for trading Davis and either Gallardo or Garza for Heyward. Moving Braun back to LF and adding Heyward would be a huge upgrade defensively. Not to mention Heyward is left handed and can hit in either leadoff or in the #2 spot. Also his $7.8M salary free up roughly $5M to sign another reliever ($2M) and decent bench player ($3M) for depth.

As the day goes by, wonder if this will not even come as close to happening as the "Hector Gomez to the Angels" non-trade from last March, which at least made it to MLB.com's transaction page and is still listed on Gomez's page at Baseball Reference and Baseball Prospectus.

Physicals holding things up?

I would love Heyward, A Heyward Gennett Luc Gomez Braun Lind Ramirez Segura Lineup would be amazing

I would gladly do Lohse/Gallardo and K. Davis in exchange for Heyward and Carpenter/Walden

with that said, I can't imagine it is that big of a trade. We would have heard about it by now IMO. Im guessing is a small deal involving minor leaguer, with a slight chance at maybe us getting one of the Braves relievers.

Archived