Brewer Fanatic

Non Tender Candidates

Ogando might be a nice little steal. Not a FA until 17' and has put up two above average seasons as a starter in texas, coming off injury, but he could play in the pen or the rotation.

He would be a very nice bullpen addition. He has some filthy stuff.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know how severely damaged Jhoulys Chacin's shoulder is? He will only be 27 next season and was fairly consistent from 2010-2013 before falling off a cliff last season. If his shoulder is healthy he might be worth taking a flyer on.

While this is not a "non-tender" candidate I really like Mark Canha (Marlins organization) as a 1st base option in the Rule 5. Unlike Wang last year this guy is ready to play and would be an effective platoon mate to Lind. Would also be on the cheap.

I wouldn't mind them taking a chance on Delino DeShields Jr. as the weak side platoon partner for Scooter. In his minor league splits he hits LHP about .50 OPS points better than RHP, so he fits the platoon, and even if he's not great next year it brings in another high upside prospect into the organization. If we go out and get a quality super-sub then DeShields would only be seeing a couple hundred PA all season and thus would be easy to stash.

*Edit* In the Rule 5 draft, that is. Also not a non-tender candidate.

While this is not a "non-tender" candidate I really like Mark Canha (Marlins organization) as a 1st base option in the Rule 5. Unlike Wang last year this guy is ready to play and would be an effective platoon mate to Lind. Would also be on the cheap.

Looking at his stats I'm a for it. Is there a big difference between him and let's say a guy like Halton. Why has this guy not been given a chance at the major league level? Also, why isn't he on the 40 man? Usually something to it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Looking at his stats I'm a for it. Is there a big difference between him and let's say a guy like Halton. Why has this guy not been given a chance at the major league level? Also, why isn't he on the 40 man? Usually something to it.

It truly is he is at his ceiling as a player. It will be a consistent ceiling. I think Miami sees others in the farm (Justin Bour) as having a greater ceiling. Needless to say I would be highly surprised if Canha isn't picked before us but this is one of two guys I have ever seen in the Rule 5 that were 'can't miss' for the brewers (last one didn't turn out so well for me but was Adam Ottavino)

John Mayberry Jr was non tendered. He has a .857 lifetime OPS vs lefties. Make a nice platoon mate foe Lind. Can play corner OF as well. Might be an option if the team doesn't trust Rogers.

If they are looking for a first base platoon partner for Lind there certainly are enough choices with Mayberry, Sanchez, Blanks, Baker and probably others I'm missing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Mayberry looks like a great option to me as he can play OF, should cost about 1 million, and is easily released if he loses it. Shouldn't touch the field against a Righty.

Yeah, he shouldn't play vs righties. .658 OPS vs them over his career. Mayberry grades out average as a defender at 1B, RF and LF. He's played some CF in his career, but his defensive metrics are pretty bad there.

I worry about having too many guys with extreme splits on the team - Parra, Lind, Scooter, for example. But if guys can hit lefties and righties, they're playing every day for someone. Not getting non tendered. We have to take what we can find and what we can fit in our budget.

Gordon Beckham stands out as a 2B platoon partner/middle infield backup guy. He has never lived up to his hype after a nice rookie year but he did hit lefties well in 2014 (.293/.349/.431), and he's a very good defensive player too. If someone finds the key to unlocking his talent, you'd really have something but if not, he seems eminently serviceable in a part time role.

Gotta say, many names non-tendered that would make some sense signing. Blanks, Beckham, Everth Cabrera?! Even Mayberry.

I'll be surprised if the Brewers FO isn't in on one of these non-tenders

I would add Sanchez, Ogando, Beachy, Medlen and LeBlanc to your list. There are definitely some intriguing names available this year.

Was Eric Young Jr. a horrible 2B? Because being a switch hitter that could play 2B and LF and get on base at a decent clip would be nice.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The 'good thing' with the Crew is what our needs are. They are much more easily fillable than our past holes. The correct choice of that lefty reliever, middle infielder, corner infield/outfielder could be worth 2 to 4 games, easy. The choice last year at first, surely cost us at least 4 games. So, it is now up to our management to shop well from the reject bin. (or should I say the unloved bin)

As a comparison, here in Sydney two years ago a new football (soccer) team expanded into our National Comp, the A-League. It is Western Sydney Wanderers. In their second year of existence they won the league and just recently won the Asian Champions League. And the team was constructed almost exclusively from the outcasts of the other clubs. They guys that maybe have one year or two years left in their legs. Or those who just did not crack the other teams.

So, if a sporting club can choose wisely from the unloved of other clubs, they can construct something good. In the case of this soccer team there were so many 'last chance' guys they formed an aura about this.

In the past it seems to me the Crew picked up retirement home guys. They should pick up the 'desperate for one last chance' guys.

The 'good thing' with the Crew is what our needs are. They are much more easily fillable than our past holes. The correct choice of that lefty reliever, middle infielder, corner infield/outfielder could be worth 2 to 4 games, easy. The choice last year at first, surely cost us at least 4 games. So, it is now up to our management to shop well from the reject bin. (or should I say the unloved bin)

As a comparison, here in Sydney two years ago a new football (soccer) team expanded into our National Comp, the A-League. It is Western Sydney Wanderers. In their second year of existence they won the league and just recently won the Asian Champions League. And the team was constructed almost exclusively from the outcasts of the other clubs. They guys that maybe have one year or two years left in their legs. Or those who just did not crack the other teams.

So, if a sporting club can choose wisely from the unloved of other clubs, they can construct something good. In the case of this soccer team there were so many 'last chance' guys they formed an aura about this.

In the past it seems to me the Crew picked up retirement home guys. They should pick up the 'desperate for one last chance' guys.

It always bothers me that the Brewer strategy always comes down to "filling holes". The fact is we only know where the holes leftover from 2014 are. New holes almost always appear every year. Some even can be anticipated when you are relying on aging veterans or guys with injury histories to be key members of you lineup.

It always bothers me that the Brewer strategy always comes down to "filling holes". The fact is we only know where the holes leftover from 2014 are. New holes almost always appear every year. Some even can be anticipated when you are relying on aging veterans or guys with injury histories to be key members of you lineup.

I think having capable and versatile bench players minimizes its effect on a team over the course of a full season. Having a starting caliber player like Parra as our 4th outfielder helps. If we can find a couple more players like Blanks/Mayberry Jr and Cabrera/Beckham I will be extremely happy heading into spring training.

Isn't pretty much every contending teams strategy each offseason to fill in the previous season's biggest holes? That is the surest way to make sure you improve and compete the next year. GM's are always on hot seats; they need to worry about this next year; not 5 years from now. You can't really blame them. Not everyone has the luxury of being Jerry Jones (I.E. no chance of getting fired if you screw up).

Do you really think that differs from any other team in Major League Baseball? Obviously when teams are trying to "fill holes," they're trying to fill the holes they had. It wouldn't make much sense to pass on filling the known holes and try and predict what holes they should try to fill. I don't see the point in them going out and signing a left handed hitting 2nd basemen because you might be able to anticipate Gennett regressing(just an example).

How should they go about this?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The first guy who struck me was Gordon Beckham. He's the type of guy I'd love the Brewers to take a flier on. He's extremely talented, was rushed to the big leagues. And of course he's struggled a great deal(though he did play rather well for the Angels in a part time role down the stretch last year).

But he provides coverage at 3rd as well as platooning with Gennett.

Obviously I wouldn't be counting on him to do much, but he strikes me as the type of player who could really thrive if he just made an adjustment or two.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Beckham totally makes sense to me. If he's looking for PT he would probably be a near everyday player in Milwaukee between 2B, 3B, and SS.

I'm not sure how well defensively Beckham would be playing SS for any extended period of time. As much as i like Beckham I would prefer someone who can play both 2B and SS like Cabrera since we have multiple options (Rogers and Jimenez) who can back up 1B and 3B. I would prefer we have a solid defensive back up for SS since Segura struggled last year.

Archived