Brewer Fanatic

Cuddyer to Mets - 2 years (and draft pick given up)

bill hAll Star

I'm wondering if the Mets and Rockies are close on a deal for Tulo or Cargo. It's a round about way for the Mets to send their 1st round pick to Colorado.

I don't believe the Mets have the prospects that the Rockies would want in a deal for Tulo or Cargo.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm wondering if the Mets and Rockies are close on a deal for Tulo or Cargo. It's a round about way for the Mets to send their 1st round pick to Colorado.

I don't believe the Mets have the prospects that the Rockies would want in a deal for Tulo or Cargo.

Actually, the Mets have a lot of nice prospects. Here's a list of top 100 guys from MLB.

#10 - Starting pitcher Noah Syndergaard

#59 - Catcher Kevin Plawecki

#60 - OF Brandon Nimmo

#79 - Last year's top pick, Michael Conforto (would have to be a 'player to be named later' since you can't trade a draft pick for a year).

#81 - 1B Dominic Smith

#95 - Pitcher Rafael Montero

And there's some young pitching in the majors right now, such as DeGrom and Wheeler.

Start with Syndergaard, then add in a couple of other guys. That's not a bad haul.

Mets prospect list: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=nym

Actually, the Mets have a lot of nice prospects. Here's a list of top 100 guys from MLB.

#10 - Starting pitcher Noah Syndergaard

#59 - Catcher Kevin Plawecki

#60 - OF Brandon Nimmo

#79 - Last year's top pick, Michael Conforto (would have to be a 'player to be named later' since you can't trade a draft pick for a year).

#81 - 1B Dominic Smith

#95 - Pitcher Rafael Montero

And there's some young pitching in the majors right now, such as DeGrom and Wheeler.

Start with Syndergaard, then add in a couple of other guys. That's not a bad haul.

Mets prospect list: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=nym

There is no way the Mets would trade Syndergaard and DeGrom and Wheeler are both going to be off the table also. So that leaves Plaweki, Nimmo, Smith and Montero. I just don't see the Rockies accepting anything less than Syndergaard, Plaweki, Nimmo, and Smith for Tulo. There is no way the Mets would give that up just to get Tulo. The Mets just don't have the prospects that would be willing to give up to get Tulo.

I'm not surprised the Mets made the deal due to his playing OF+1b Platoon for Duda.

I'm surprised that he declined 15.3mil to sign a 2year/21mil deal. The guy should feel like he's going to be able to find over 6mil in 2016 to beat the 2/21. But whatever. Nice start to this offseason. QOs declined today and 1 of them is signed already!

There is no way the Mets would trade Syndergaard and DeGrom and Wheeler are both going to be off the table also. So that leaves Plaweki, Nimmo, Smith and Montero. I just don't see the Rockies accepting anything less than Syndergaard, Plaweki, Nimmo, and Smith for Tulo. There is no way the Mets would give that up just to get Tulo. The Mets just don't have the prospects that would be willing to give up to get Tulo.

They don't have the prospects to get Tulo? Prospects the Rockies wouldn't want?

They are LOADED with SPs. Colorado? They ruin pitching careers before they ever get off the ground. Thus, they simply get one who's already gotten off the ground. Matt Harvey. While dumping salary for a guy who's displeased with the organization and as I read by many, quits/(Injures) to the point of having to go on the DL. Colorado isn't there with Pitching. Adding a Sure-fire Front line starter as Matt Harvey would immediately provide them with a SP to build with. They have the Lemahieu/Rutledge combo at 2b to jump in and play for Tulo's SS.

I'd find it hard to decline a trade offer of just Matt Harvey for Tulo. Straight up. Toss in the Catcher prospect Plawecki I suppose and the deal should be done.

Meanwhile the Mets have Wheeler, DeGrom, Niese, Gee and of course Syndegaard to fill out their 5man rotation with Harvey's departure. This was a 79win team last year with a growing superstar in D'Arnaud, having Wright/Granderson and Cuddyer to join in with Tulo for batters? Looks better than the Brewers upside we chimed about going in to 2014. And that is a Playoff team then you're looking at. I don't care about the 15games out of 1st equation. The Mets would be better H2H for 2015 than in 2014 and turning a loss in to a win is 2games of that 15game separation. Btw looked it up 4-15 H2H vs. Wash. a split 9-10 would have meant finishing just 5games behind Washington not 15.

Tulo is Great when he plays but he's also now being paid 20mil a season for a guy who in the last 3 seasons has played in 264 of the 486 games possible. How many more seasons as he passes the age of 30 can Colorado expect him to keep his value for a King's ransom of prospects if he's playing around 90games a season?

So if I said here's Matt Harvey for Tulo what would you ask more in return? How do you refuse that offer and expect other teams to beat a Cy Young candidate with team control to 2019?

Edit: I messed up the quote thingy Reilly posted the first quote. actually think I lost more of the quote I took. sigh.

Tulo away from Coors is just a very good SS, in Coors he's a HF SS. Can't see the Mets giving up the farm for him to play maybe 100 games a season

I will never bet against teams doing what some might consider dumb moves in order to bring in a "name" player.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Mets are also rumored to be talking with White Sox about Alexei Ramirez which is much more realistic. Sox want Noah Syndergaard or Rafael Montero. My guess is the Mets would do Montero for Ramirez.

As for Cuddyer, the red flag for me is Cuddyer turned down $15 million QO for security of two years at significantly less per year. That tells me even Cuddyer thinks he might be year to year so he took the 2 year offer instead of risking his value sinking considerably.

Still one has to like the Mets young rotation, so any offensive improvement could propel them into serious contenders.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As for Cuddyer, the red flag for me is Cuddyer turned down $15 million QO for security of two years at significantly less per year. That tells me even Cuddyer thinks he might be year to year so he took the 2 year offer instead of risking his value sinking considerably.

Cuddy might simply not want to spend what may be his last contract playing for a losing team. Not that the Mets are any great shakes, but the Rockies need to rebuild. And the Mets, as you note, have some nice young talent at the big league level or very near it.

Mets are also rumored to be talking with White Sox about Alexei Ramirez which is much more realistic. Sox want Noah Syndergaard or Rafael Montero. My guess is the Mets would do Montero for Ramirez.

Still one has to like the Mets young rotation, so any offensive improvement could propel them into serious contenders.

So I am really confused but MLBTR from what I read said that Cuddyer turned down the QO because he already had the Deal with the Mets and that if he hadn't had that deal, he'd have accepted the QO....

How did they have a deal arranged ahead of the QO offerings?

Lets say Colorado caught wind of that deal and just in the nick of submitting the QO snagged the Pick from the Mets? That should teach teams to sign FAs before the QOs have been handed out.

Archived