Brewer Fanatic

Grab Bag - MiLB's Free Agent List for 2014-2015 Offseason

Mass Haas

Baseball America - Minor League Free Agents

Last year's list saw the Brewers pluck Jeremy Hermida, Matt Pagnozzi, Irving Falu, Brad Mills, Greg Golson, Joe Thurston, Pete Orr, and Lucas May. Hermida and Orr have already been signed from this year's list.

Pagnozzi and Falu saw very limited big league time, and Mills pitched splendidly for Nashville and famously netted the Crew $1.

From Nov 3:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/outrighted-quiroz-bochy-axford-gomez-darnaud-richardson-elmore.html

After designating them for assignment recently, the Pirates have outrighted relievers John Axford and Jeanmar Gomez. Axford, 31, will look for a chance to bounce back after posting three seasons and 189 innings of 4.24 ERA work from the pen. Gomez, meanwhile, tossed 62 frames of 3.19 ERA ball after a solid 2013, but his peripherals do not quite back up the results.

Doesn't that mean he was sent to the minors?

Good call, could be a potential right handed side of the platoon for both Gennett and Lind. Probably worth an invite to spring training. Actually hit 317/404/476 against lefties the only year he had some decent playing time in the majors.

Good call, could be a potential right handed side of the platoon for both Gennett and Lind. Probably worth an invite to spring training. Actually hit 317/404/476 against lefties the only year he had some decent playing time in the majors.

There's definitely some gems out there that fit a profile the Brewers could use and I think Satin is one of them. He was completely blocked in NY by Wright and Murphy. I actually like him more than Jimenez.

He provides no power but he is an on base guy so I think he could fit in with the team as they currently have a bunch of low on base guys with power. Not saying he should start or anything but worth a look. If Satin can really play 2B at the big league level it could give him the edge over Jimenez and Rogers.

Looking only at the position players two guys stand out to me: Chris Marrero and Charlie Cutler.

Marrero is a career .277/.344/.441 hitter in the minors, hitting .310/.371/.475 vs. LHPs and would be a potential platoon target at 1B w/ Lind. He's 26 years old and was handled somewhat oddly early in his pro career, being rushed through the lower levels before seemingly plateauing in the AA-AAA levels. I personally feel Jason Rogers will eventually be the platoon target for 1B, but Marrero would be a good spring training invite to see what he can do.

Cutler has hit through his career, from high school to college at Cal and in the minors. He hasn't seen time above AA, but is a .304/.394/.414 in the minors. He's a platoon/pinch hitter type of player with some versatility, as he can play C, 1B and a corner OF spot, but it would be as a pinch hitter that I would be most interested in him. There's not much pop, and best-case scenario is that he develops into a Brian Harper (80s/90s with the Twins) type of player. He's a LH hitter and deserves a chance given how well he's performed throughout his career.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder that Baseball America's Minor League Free Agent Tracker is an awesome tool.

Wondering who is left among the minor league free agents that Baseball America lists as "outfielders" because the Brewers are so thin at AAA at the moment? Well, just use the dropdowns to choose "OF" and "unsigned" and you'll see the number is 63, including Manny Ramirez :)!

A few intriguing names, maybe the Brewers will hit on something...

Archived