Brewer Fanatic

Counsell in consideration for Rays manager

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/rays-announce-preliminary-managerial-candidates.html

If the Rays are considering him for their manager spot, do the Brewers add him to their own coaching staff to keep him around?

Also, the Rays have to hire Dave Martinez, right? He interviews for practically every managerial opening and he's been Maddon's bench coach almost as long as Maddon was there.

So long, farewell. I wish him luck if he gets it. What I won't do is really care. A guy that was a so-so player but of course from Wisconsin, played for the Brewers and so we give him more praise than he should get.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/rays-announce-preliminary-managerial-candidates.html

If the Rays are considering him for their manager spot, do the Brewers add him to their own coaching staff to keep him around?

Also, the Rays have to hire Dave Martinez, right? He interviews for practically every managerial opening and he's been Maddon's bench coach almost as long as Maddon was there.

Adding him to their coaching staff won't prevent the Rays from hiring him as manager. Would be surprising if Counsell was hired over Martinez. If he is, Maddon will grab Martinez in a heart beat to add to his Cub staff. From what I understand though, the Rays coaching staff including Jim Hickey, their pitching coach are all still under contract so they can't go anywhere unless it's a promotion.

Well they haven't replace Iorg yet, of course we have no idea who is under consideration.

I wanted Counsell to be considered for the brewers managerial job if Roenicke wasn't brought back. If the brewers see a future in coaching for him, maybe they would add him to the staff.

I think there is some reason why he doesn't have a job yet, he has been interviewing for jobs for many offseasons without a hit.

So long, farewell. I wish him luck if he gets it. What I won't do is really care. A guy that was a so-so player but of course from Wisconsin, played for the Brewers and so we give him more praise than he should get.

there has been a handful of players that I thought were managerial material while here, and Craig is one of them, no matter his stats. The brewers had one of the best hitters (Carew) and pitchers (Stewart) ever as hitting and pitching coaches and got nowhere. He has a high baseball intellect while makes him attractive.

there has been a handful of players that I thought were managerial material while here, and Craig is one of them, no matter his stats. The brewers had one of the best hitters (Carew) and pitchers (Stewart) ever as hitting and pitching coaches and got nowhere. He has a high baseball intellect while makes him attractive.

On that note, is Mark Loretta coaching anywhere?

I'm pretty impressed with how belligerent and down most of your posts are.

Without looking it up, I believe that Loretta is doing something in the Padres front office but doesn't have an on-field role.

No one ever pretended he was a superstar...he was a solid utility infielder type who had a very nice career, all things considered. No need to get down on the guy for not being a perennial All-Star.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Him, Cirillo, Matheny, and Counsell were the 4 I was referring too

Him, Cirillo, Matheny, and Counsell were the 4 I was referring too

I have always wondered what Jeff Cirillo and Mark Loretta were up to. Those are two guys who didn't wow you in athletic ability but certainly wow'd you with what they accomplished on the field. Jeff was an 11th round pick and Mark a 7th rounder. I understand where you are picked doesn't matter but it wasn't like these were two guys you were expecting to put on such an accomplished career. Jeff played 14 years and finished with a .296 / .366 / .430 / .796. Mark played 15 years and finished with a .295 / .360 / .395 / .754. These guys definitely understood hitting. And both played great defense.

Per Wikipedia:

Cirrillo - He currently resides in Medina, WA and works as a MLB Scout with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Loretta - Loretta retired after the 2009 season. He will join the Padres as a special assistant to the baseball operations staff. (Doesn't say if he is still there) ... Then it talks about his managing with the Isreal team: Loretta coached the Israeli national baseball team in the 2013 World Baseball Classic qualifier in September 2012. Israel lost to Spain in extra innings in the Pool Finals, missing out on a spot in the World Baseball Classic

If the Brewers were to ever can RRR, I would definitely be interested in these 2 (Cirillo and Loretta)

Are we no longer allowed to like our own darn players, present or past?

Gosh, give us a break already...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I remember seeing Loretta doing some sideline reporting during what I think was a Padres game this year. I wasn't paying close attention, so I can't say for sure if he was a reporter or just talking to the announcers as a member of the Padres front office.

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty clear isn't it that Counsell is the GM in waiting. Melvin's timetable for retiring might be 2-3 years down the road or when Roenicke is let go, whichever comes first, the latter to allow his successor to pick the next manager.

I think Ray Montgomery is the GM in waiting if there is a GM in waiting.

Archived