Brewer Fanatic

Other moves??

DHonks
Here's a suggestion. The signing of Russell Martin has left the Blue Jays with a $5 million backup, Dioneer Navarro. How about offering Toronto Maldonado for Navarro? Navarro could then become, in effect, the RH platoon partner of Lind. He's a career .270/.335/.434 hitter vs. LHP, good enough in my opinion to allow Lucroy to man 1B on a regular basis against LH starters. From Toronto's perspective, they save around $4 million in what they are shelling out for the catcher position.

Navarro becomes a free agent in 2016. So you'd give up 4 years of Maldonado for 1 year of Navarro?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reports say Jordan Zimmerman is available if trade makes sense...

Man I would love the Brewers to acquire Jordan to be our Ace... But I know it's gonna cost a ton.

Not only would he be our ace but our Wisconsin fan base would be crazy over a Wisconsin guy being here. Heck even I could support that. Problem is, we probably do not have what they are looking for with prospects other than giving up guys that we probably cannot afford to give up.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Man I would love the Brewers to acquire Jordan to be our Ace... But I know it's gonna cost a ton.

Not only would he be our ace but our Wisconsin fan base would be crazy over a Wisconsin guy being here. Heck even I could support that. Problem is, we probably do not have what they are looking for with prospects other than giving up guys that we probably cannot afford to give up.

How many casual fans even know who Zimmerman is, let alone know he's from Wisconsin? In terms of publicity, he's #3 in Nats rotation behind Stasburg and Gonzalez.

I would be all over this; perhaps Zimmerman would be interested in signing long term for his home town team. His salary in 2016 would take up most of the Gallardo and Lohse salaries coming off the books that year. Zimmerman, Peralta, Nelson, and Garza would seem to be a good rotation in 2016.

That being said the Brewers might be better off trying to sign him next offseason than trade for him now. You almost certainly have to give up Arcia and Taylor/Coulter in any package and I would not be wild about that unless you knew he was staying long term. And you probably can't count on that.

Right. He's going to be plenty expensive. And as far as a return I'd expect the demand being Nelson,Arcia +Taylor/or Coulter.

Isn't Zimmermann 1 TJ in on that throwing elbow? Which would appear to be 2009/2010 season? Or am I wrong? If it indeed happened then he's ripe for TJ surgery #2 to occur if I recall it happens around years 4 or 5 after the first?

Would have him for 1 season and then watch him leave most likely. Netting a QO(if that elbow holds up)

No Doubt he helps a ton the team's rotation but it's for 1 year and losing 18years of 3 team controlled talent. One that in Arcia I see as Allstar ability at a position to envy having all-star ability on your roster. And that could potentially be a 10year+ roster strength.

If you can acquire him and keep Arcia I'm all for it. I don't care if I lost Nelson/Taylor/Coulter. I don't see their ceilings anywhere near as high as Arcia's. And you get the QO pick when he leaves so you should think you're getting 1 of those three lost talents back in your system potentially being better.

I've seen enough video from the Fall Leagues to feel safe in letting Taylor leave in trade. Coulter has the bat, but not the surefire defensive position to man so I'm fine with him going for a talent like Zimmermann. As for Nelson, it'd suck to lose him but 1year of having an Ace+draft pick vs. a #5 or RP on the team you envision being WS contenders before talent departs they just cant replace for 2016 to seriously consider themselves a Playoff caliber team. Yeah I can handle letting him go. He's looking at a wasted year for 2015 imo being used in the bullpen or sent back to AAA. Fiers owns the #5 Starter job at this point.

The weakness the Brewers have had was a knock of top of the rotation talent to propel them in the playoffs. Zimmermann held the WS champs to 1Run on 3hit in 8.2ip...Something I believe was an inherited runner being scored so he didn't even allow the run to score.

Being from WI also makes the move most appealing. Talk about a StoryBook ending to acquire him and he helped lead the team to the WS?

Do it if you keep Arcia. If you can't the consideration is over.

when there was discussion of the cubs trading for him there was a belief that he would be very open to signing an extension upon the trade being made due to the fact he wants to come home (being the wi/il area)

That works from the idea of playing in Chicago's Market. If he's traded to Milw Let's just assume the best price the Brewers can offer is in the 18-21mil per year for 5 or 6years. That's 5/90-5/105mil and 6/108-6/126

Meanwhile the Cubs can just sit and wait til the offseason offer him a 24-28mil per year for 6 or 7years.

That's 6/144-6/168 or 7/168-7/196

There's just no way he's going to pass up 50+mil to take a WI discount over 92miles of travel distance. 2. Which team do you honestly think is better for him to pitch for after 2015? Cubs didn't get him in this scenario and still have top prospects to field around JZ. Meanwhile after 2015 Milw has become quite crippled in talent present and future.

No shape and form can Milw extend Zimmermann. It doesn't make sense from Zimmermann's perspective vs. his FA signing and playing for the Cubs/WhiteSox/Detroit who can give him so much more money.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the M's are looking for a RF. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/mariners-still-seeking-right-fielder.html#comment-1720651540

Would the M's be interested in Braun and Lohse for Walker, Kivlehan and Hultzen? The Brewers get a young controllable ace caliber pitcher, a solid 3B prospect who could be ready to contribute as early as mid-season and a former top 25 prospect (2013) who is coming back from shoulder surgery but was considered almost MLB ready. They also clear Braun's contract and Lohse's which gives them room to extend either Gomez or Lucroy and frees up salary in 2015 to sign a FA rightfielder like Aoki or Hunter (2yr/$20M), a super utility player like Bonifacio (2yr/$8M) and a couple of decent bullpen arms like Neshak (3yr/$15M) and Grilli (2yr/$9M).

Rotation: Gallardo, Garza, Peralta, Walker and Fiers

Bullpen: Broxton, Neshak, Smith, Grilli, Jeffress, Thornburg and Henderson

Lineup: Aoki, Gennett/Bonifacio, Lucroy, Lind, Gomez, Ramirez, Davis, Segura

Bench: Maldy, Rogers/Jimenez, Bonifacio, Parra, Clark/Herrera

This puts payroll just over $100M. The Brewers can still be competitive in 2015 while adding pieces to help them contend going forward.

Compared to the 82-83 win team we currently have assembled? Getting two top of the rotation ceiling pitchers and a future 3B for one year of Lohse and Braun is worth having another .500 season. If all three pan out we now have a young controllable rotation of Walker, Hultzen, Peralta, Nelson and Jungmann/Fiers for the next 4 years. I just wish DM would attempt some moves that help the team now and in the future. Trading Gomez is another example of a way the Brewers could still compete while restocking the farm system with top tier prospects. The Brewers lose some production when replacing Gomez with Parra but could use the saved payroll to add some quality bench player(s) and/or bullpen arm(s).

Trading Braun away at his lowest value he's ever been? Sounds like a very poor move for the Milwaukee Brewers.

Plus, I want him to be a reason we succeed as an organization and revitalize his own name. People make mistakes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

"Discount" is a relative term. You are probably looking at something like 6 years $135 million for Zimmermann (two n's by the way at the end). That's $25 million less than Greinke, so that's the discount I suppose.

Well if anyone will take a discount it would be JZ. I'm pretty sure he built himself a nice new house in the Auburndale area a couple of years ago.

What would we have to give up to get Zimmerman and Ian Desmond away from Washington?

Gallardo or Lohse/Segura/??/??

What would we have to give up to get Zimmerman and Ian Desmond away from Washington?

Gallardo or Lohse/Segura/??/??

I'm guessing that would take Gallardo AND Lohse AND Segura AND another.

Archived