Brewer Fanatic

Other moves??

DHonks

There are some interesting names on MLBTR's non-tender list. If these players are indeed non-tendered I hope the Brewers at least look into the following players for pitching depth or potential bench players: Gordon Beckham, Everth Cabrera, Gaby Sanchez, Ruben Tejada, Jhoulys Chacin, Kris Medlen, Brian Duensing, Alexi Ogando, Jonny Venters and David Huff. Medlen and Venters are coming back from injuries and might not be available to start the season but offer high reward potential if they can even return close to their old form.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/non-tender-candidates-6.html

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There are some interesting names on MLBTR's non-tender list. If these players are indeed non-tendered I hope the Brewers at least look into the following players for pitching depth or potential bench players: Gordon Beckham, Everth Cabrera, Gaby Sanchez, Ruben Tejada, Jhoulys Chacin, Kris Medlen, Brian Duensing, Alexi Ogando, Jonny Venters and David Huff. Medlen and Venters are coming back from injuries and might not be available to start the season but offer high reward potential if they can even return close to their old form.

Whole thread on non tender candidates here:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=32130

Whole thread on non tender candidates here:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=32130

Sorry, i didn't see that. Thanks!

What about signing Neshek?

He would definitely add a different look to the back of our bullpen. Smith/Jeffress in the 7th, Neshek in the 8th and Broxton can pitch the 9th. If Thornburg and Henderson are healthy this gives them six quality arms who all have late game experience. MLBTR predicts he will sign a 2yr/$10M deal. This seams pretty reasonable. They also noted he likely will go to the highest bidder since this is his one and possibly only time he can cash in. Maybe the Brewers could throw in a third year and make it 3 years for $13M to bring down his salary in 2015 ($3.5M/$4.5M/$5M).

Doug gave an interview a couple of days ago. He said 'we are ready for spring training, the season, to start tomorrow'. So, I guess we are done. He talked about having six starters... not like one too many, but like 'we are set'.

So, we may indeed be done.

I am still hopeful for a starter for something trade. But it looks slim chance.

Doug gave an interview a couple of days ago. He said 'we are ready for spring training, the season, to start tomorrow'. So, I guess we are done. He talked about having six starters... not like one too many, but like 'we are set'.

This is what I expect from Doug because he's very secretive in what he does. I would guarantee you he and his staff are working like mad dogs, scouting, etc... to try to get this team to the next level. He also wants people to know that he's not forced to make moves. Teams look for desperate GM's to try to get the most out of their trades. He's smart, he does not show his cards.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is what I expect from Doug because he's very secretive in what he does. I would guarantee you he and his staff are working like mad dogs, scouting, etc... to try to get this team to the next level. He also wants people to know that he's not forced to make moves. Teams look for desperate GM's to try to get the most out of their trades. He's smart, he does not show his cards.

I think FAR too much gets made of the fact that GM's that "have to make a trade" get less return. Players get value for value. If a player has value, you'll get value for them. You never HAVE to trade a player. If you have two many players, you can bench or put them in the pen. You never HAVE to trade someone.

Does Lind qualify as the annual "Melvin pulls off transaction no one sees coming"?

Yes

If not then Melvin will probably still surprise us with something this offseason,

I'm doubting it

The lineup and rotation don't have a ton of holes right now.

Other than a much needed upgrade in LF, platoon mates needed at 1B & 2B, and 3B depth for the inevitable Aramis injury?

You do realize that Khris Davis was third on the team in slugging pct, just a few points behind both Gomez and Lucroy and ahead of Braun, tied for 3rd in RBI, 2nd in doubles and HR, had more extra base hits than Braun, and more walks than Segura or Gennett and he did this in his first full season in the major leagues?

You do realize that Khris Davis was third on the team in slugging pct, just a few points behind both Gomez and Lucroy and ahead of Braun, tied for 3rd in RBI, 2nd in doubles and HR, had more extra base hits than Braun, and more walks than Segura or Gennett and he did this in his first full season in the major leagues?

If he only wasn't so atrocious in the field, we'd really have something. But right now we have a guy with pop who barely walks and has to be subbed for late in games because he may cost you the game with his defense. That is the problem people have with him. Which is why hardly anyone is set on him as their LF going forward.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

..... Which is why hardly anyone is set on him as their LF going forward.

I think saying 'anyone' is taking quite a bit of liberties.

As far as I am concerned he is the LF as long as he is cheap, which should be the next couple of years. Since we have Parra, I would plan on some sort of 50/50 platoon, where Davis bats against some righties.

Yes, that speaks more to how weak the Brewers were rather than any sort of elevation of my perception of Davis. You simply need more production out of a corner outfielder, in order to contend, than a 107 OPS+ and a .298 OBP vs RHP

According to Fangraphs, Davis was 14th among Left-Fielders in the entire MLB in WAR. So while he certainly wasn't awful, he definitely wasn't great either. I see LF as an area that the Brewers could use an upgrade. Perhaps platooning Davis w/ Parra will help. And it certainly is possible that Davis will hit better in 2015. It isn't very likely that his defense will improve much, which to me means there is a reasonable assumption that he will basically be a replacement level performer against RHP.

Trading for Justin Upton (who was 5th among MLB LF'ers with a 3.9 WAR, and who will be a free agent in 2016), is, I believe, the kind of move a team would make if they were serious about contending in 2015, not penciling in Khris Davis as a starter.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yes, that speaks more to how weak the Brewers were rather than any sort of elevation of my perception of Davis. You simply need more production out of a corner outfielder, in order to contend, than a 107 OPS+ and a .298 OBP vs RHP

According to Fangraphs, Davis was 14th among Left-Fielders in the entire MLB in WAR. So while he certainly wasn't awful, he definitely wasn't great either. I see LF as an area that the Brewers could use an upgrade. Perhaps platooning Davis w/ Parra will help. And it certainly is possible that Davis will hit better in 2015. It isn't very likely that his defense will improve much, which to me means there is a reasonable assumption that he will basically be a replacement level performer against RHP.

Trading for Justin Upton (who was 5th among MLB LF'ers with a 3.9 WAR, and who will be a free agent in 2016), is, I believe, the kind of move a team would make if they were serious about contending in 2015, not penciling in Khris Davis as a starter.

The Brewers best chance to improve the corner OF production is for Braun to be the player he was from 2007-2012. Davis was middle of the pack in his first full season. If Braun performs to his level of the past, they have a very productive outfield.

The Brewers best chance to improve the corner OF production is for Braun to be the player he was from 2007-2012. Davis was middle of the pack in his first full season. If Braun performs to his level of the past, they have a very productive outfield.

Yes, that alone would add 3-4 wins....

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yes, that alone would add 3-4 wins....

I think people are also forgetting that Parra is still on the roster to be at least a soft platoon partner for Davis. That will make the LF spot a lot more productive. They won't be paying Parra $4-5M to not play a big role. He'll get his at-bats against RHP.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Willingham's not a 1B, and after watching him for 2.5 years in MN, especially the past 1.5 after his good 1st year, he's basically an OF version of where Rickie Weeks is at -- and we all know it's time to move on there.

Re: the 5th OF and late-inning defensive sub role, that's still Schafer's to lose (for better or worse, although he still obviously would have to win it to earn his roster spot back).... Wren could someday fill Schafer's role, but he's still a couple years away from deserving that chance. While it still may happen, Wren has yet to even get to the upper minors, let alone become the quality of hitter that Schafer was for the bulk of his minor league career. Schafer regressed last year and the previous couple (largely due to the tough transition to a relatively limited bench role), and hopefully Coles' tutelage turns him back around even though he won't sniff anything near a full-timer's AB frequency without a couple injuries happening first.

Let's not forget that although Melvin has acknowledged that nearly all the Opening Day lineup may already be on the roster (except for some bullpen work yet to be completed), he's still been public about considering shaking things up.

To me, that latter bit is quite significant. Melvin doesn't toss off or even imply "shaking things up" just to catch players' attention or to rev up the local media. If things get as far as Melvin's considering that option actually becoming public info, whether that becomes reality or not, it's at least gotta be a legit possibility.

As I've been looking over the roster since the Lind trade, I've also thought that if none of the further "right" moves are there to be made, it's not a bad roster with which you could start the season. . . . That's not to say that's the preferable approach, only a possibility. . . . I, for one, sure hope there's more significant work done & upgrades made.

Willingham's not a 1B, and after watching him for 2.5 years in MN, especially the past 1.5 after his good 1st year, he's basically an OF version of where Rickie Weeks is at -- and we all know it's time to move on there.

He's played 1B in the majors (barely), but more importantly basically any corner OF should be able to move to 1B. I don't know why this forum acts like 1B is a difficult position to learn.

He'll probably be way too expensive though, not to mention him not wanting that type of limited role.

If 1B was as easy as you think to play, wouldn't there be a lot more guys who suck in the field learning to play it?

I'm opposite of you, I think too many people think 1B is so easy to play that ANYONE can move to that position, which just isn't true.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

He's played 1B in the majors (barely), but more importantly basically any corner OF should be able to move to 1B. I don't know why this forum acts like 1B is a difficult position to learn.

He'll probably be way too expensive though, not to mention him not wanting that type of limited role.

The only real objection to 1B I see is Braun and that is because he is a sucky infielder.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Here's a suggestion. The signing of Russell Martin has left the Blue Jays with a $5 million backup, Dioneer Navarro. How about offering Toronto Maldonado for Navarro? Navarro could then become, in effect, the RH platoon partner of Lind. He's a career .270/.335/.434 hitter vs. LHP, good enough in my opinion to allow Lucroy to man 1B on a regular basis against LH starters. From Toronto's perspective, they save around $4 million in what they are shelling out for the catcher position.

Archived