Brewer Fanatic

Other moves??

DHonks
I would imagine we may try to flip a minor league 1b for a AAA reliever. I could see us re-signing K-Rod for around 1 year $6-8 million with incentives based on games finished. 2 years $12-16 million is possible as well.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Trade Gallardo or Lohse to Texas for Luke Jackson or Alex Gonzalez.

2. Sign Emilio Bonifacio (2yr/$9M) to platoon with Scooter.

3. Resign Duke (3yr/$10M)

4. Sign Crain (1yr/$1M)

Rotation: Lohse/Gallardo, Garza, Peralta, Fiers and Nelson

Bullpen: Broxton, Smith, Thornburg, Duke, Jeffress, Crain, Kintzler/Pena

Lineup: Gennett, Braun, Lucroy, Lind, Gomez, Ramirez, Davis, Segura

Bench: Maldonado, Rogers/Jimenez, Bonifacio, Parra, Herrera

Payroll is $100-102M depending on which pitcher we trade.

The big one is bullpen lefties. Gorzelanny and Duke filed for free agency, no guarantee either will be back. With Gorzy's injury last year he couldn't go back-to-back games so maybe they don't want him back if he isn't healthy.

I'm wondering if they have the money to sign Asdrubel Cabrera. A switch-hitter who can spell Segura against tough righties and Gennett against tough lefties. Or send Segura to AAA for a year to refine his approach and have Cabrera be the starter (with Gomez/Herrera replacing Gennett against tough lefties).

Having Lind against all of the NL Central starting RHP and upgrading Segura to Cabrera will make a big difference. Remember, neither of the World Series teams this year won 90 games in the regular season. Lind + Cabrera + a healthy Braun + another year of experience for Peralta, Davis, Gennett, Nelson, Jeffress + upgrading Estrada with Fiers should add at least six more wins even factoring in a slight decline for Ramirez and Lohse.

With payroll so low right now in 2016 and beyond I wonder if a solid reliever like Miller or Duke would be interested in a multi year deal that is severely backloaded so that the payroll remains reasonable for 2015. It is all guaranteed anyway so maybe some players would bite at more years and money even if it means less right now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The payroll obligations for 2015 are sitting around $107 million, which includes arbitration raises for Maldonado ($1M), Kintzler ($1M) and Parra ($6M), as well as minimum salaries for two IF and one OF. Unless we shed some salary (or increase payroll), we won't be adding anyone major.

My one guess is we'll add a cheap LOOGY type guy or a reclamation project (like Duke was last year). Someone they can get for under a $1 million. Otherwise, I think we'll fill roster spots with rookies or low cost FAs. Gomez or Herrera will get the middle IF slot. Rogers or Jimenez will be the backup 1B/3B. Schafer or some other scrub will get the 5th OF spot (a cheap right handed 1B/OF type might be in the cards as well - a career minor leaguer or low cost vet).

Ideally, ownership would increase payroll a bit. I'd love to get a more reliable back up middle infielder - someone who could play SS if Segura flounders, plus get some starts at 2B vs lefties. But someone like that will cost a few million bucks, which I don't think we will spend.

Even at $107M, our payroll may need to be cut. Parra would be the likely guy to go. But I hope we can find a way to keep him.

I would prefer to non tender or trade Kintzler and either go with Pena or sign a buy low reliever like Crain, Motte or Adams. All could be had on a one year deal for around $1M and would offer more upside. I also like the idea of a couple of backloaded contracts to players like Bonifacio or Santiago and Duke. Maybe pay both $1M this season and significantly back load the other year or two.

Rockies are pretty flush with fairly young, cheap, decent versatile infielders (Rutledge, LeMahieu, Culberson, Ynoa) most of whom are blocked. I'd look to nab one of them.

The guy I'd love to get is Josh Rutledge. He's blocked by Tulowitzki. His splits against lefties aren't great but in addition to platooning with Scooter, he could be alternative at SS should Segura struggle again. If not Rutledge, I'd think about trying to acquire LeMahieu, who the Rockies could deal to open up a spot for Rutledge on their infield.

Culberson had a bad year, so I imagine he'd come very cheap but if he bounces back to his 2013 form he'd be worth a look. Ynoa has the least experience but he's a switch hitter who showed some promise in a brief trial.

I would prefer to non tender or trade Kintzler

I agree. His whining late in the season about not being used in high leverage situations rubbed me the wrong way. Not that he's in a "gots to go" situation, just that I don't see him as a must have for our bullpen next year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would prefer to non tender or trade Kintzler

I agree. His whining late in the season about not being used in high leverage situations rubbed me the wrong way. Not that he's in a "gots to go" situation, just that I don't see him as a must have for our bullpen next year.

Disagree about Kintzler. The guy was quite good in 2013. Last year he had some injuries. Give up on him now and you're selling as low as possible on the guy.

It's not like he'll break the bank - probably around $1 million next year. So I'd rather keep him. If he returns to his 2013 form, he's quite valuable, either to us or another team.

And let's not forget how important depth is in this league. At worse, you bring Kintzler to camp and see how things shake out. Thornburg and Henderson are both coming off injuries, and if there are any injuries to to a starter, Nelson probably goes into the rotation. I'd rather have Kintzler on the mound than guys like Figaro or Hand or the ghost of Joe Winkelsas. Even if Kintzler looks awful, and you cut him, he only costs the team less than 200k.

I think Schafer starts the season in AAA, with Parra around Schafer's skill set is pretty redundant. I'd tend to think they'd do better to have a bat first back-up, since most of the playing time is going to be pinch hitting. I like the idea of doing a small deal for a better back-up infielder as well.

Tulo hardly ever plays due to numerous injuries. We can't afford another injury riddled player that can't stay on the field.

Adam Lind games played

2014: 96

2013: 143

2012: 93

2011: 125

And this is on a team with a designated hitter.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1. Trade Gallardo or Lohse to Texas for Luke Jackson or Alex Gonzalez.

2. Sign Emilio Bonifacio (2yr/$9M) to platoon with Scooter.

3. Resign Duke (3yr/$10M)

4. Sign Crain (1yr/$1M)

Rotation: Lohse/Gallardo, Garza, Peralta, Fiers and Nelson

Bullpen: Broxton, Smith, Thornburg, Duke, Jeffress, Crain, Kintzler/Pena

Lineup: Gennett, Braun, Lucroy, Lind, Gomez, Ramirez, Davis, Segura

Bench: Maldonado, Rogers/Jimenez, Bonifacio, Parra, Herrera

Payroll is $100-102M depending on which pitcher we trade.

I'm pretty sure Luke Jackson has too high a ceiling to give up for rental players.

I mentioned this somewhere else, but rather than get a retread Emilio Bonifacio to platoon with Scooter, the move to make is to get the Cubs super utility Arismendy Alcantara for that role. Switch Hitter easy platoon mate for both 2b/SS if he's swinging a hot bat. Heck, even 3b or OF he's played at. Just go and get the guy. He'd really solve any kind of Backup problems on the team if needed. Easily worth a Lohse or Gallardo....and I'd imagine it being Gallardo due to age, a Bosio refining turnaround could spell QO after the season thus replacing the loss of Alcantara. Based on his numbers in the Minors he looks a lot like Segura's 2013. Some power, a speed demon disruptor on the basepaths. He's 23 young with lots of team control i.e cheap and likely far more serviceable than Bonifacio will be.

Accomplish this trade you fill out your utility player needed/platoon partner and free up the money to go spend on any single RP you want to go after. Done for this offseason bring on 2015 Opening Day!

Tulo hardly ever plays due to numerous injuries. We can't afford another injury riddled player that can't stay on the field.

Adam Lind games played

2014: 96

2013: 143

2012: 93

2011: 125

And this is on a team with a designated hitter.

Faulty comparison. Lind doesn't play against LH pitching. In the AL, not much use for PH either, so when guys don't start, they simply don't play for the most part.

Faulty comparison. Lind doesn't play against LH pitching. In the AL, not much use for PH either, so when guys don't start, they simply don't play for the most part.

From the article on the Brewers' own website that announced the Lind trade:

"For the second time in three years, the slugger was bothered by a back injury and was limited to fewer than 100 games."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I mentioned this somewhere else, but rather than get a retread Emilio Bonifacio to platoon with Scooter, the move to make is to get the Cubs super utility Arismendy Alcantara for that role. Switch Hitter easy platoon mate for both 2b/SS if he's swinging a hot bat. Heck, even 3b or OF he's played at. Just go and get the guy. He'd really solve any kind of Backup problems on the team if needed. Easily worth a Lohse or Gallardo....and I'd imagine it being Gallardo due to age, a Bosio refining turnaround could spell QO after the season thus replacing the loss of Alcantara. Based on his numbers in the Minors he looks a lot like Segura's 2013. Some power, a speed demon disruptor on the basepaths. He's 23 young with lots of team control i.e cheap and likely far more serviceable than Bonifacio will be.

Accomplish this trade you fill out your utility player needed/platoon partner and free up the money to go spend on any single RP you want to go after. Done for this offseason bring on 2015 Opening Day!

What are you willing to give up for Alcantara? Being its within the division, he will likely cost us a little bit more than another team. I don't feel comfortable giving up a solid prospect, especially since our farm system is already running low on top tier talent, for a super utility player who projects best at 2B (which we already have covered). Ramon Santiago would provide similar value and likely cost the Brewers $3M or 2 years.

What are you willing to give up for Alcantara? Being its within the division, he will likely cost us a little bit more than another team. I don't feel comfortable giving up a solid prospect, especially since our farm system is already running low on top tier talent, for a super utility player who projects best at 2B (which we already have covered). Ramon Santiago would provide similar value and likely cost the Brewers $3M or 2 years.

Yeah, I don't see why the Cubs, who are building around young talent would give up one of their young, talented players when they can just go out and buy better pitchers than Gallardo in the free agent market. Lohse and Gallardo really make little sense to the Cubs, who shouldn't be looking at a guy on a one-year deal. If they really like either of the pitchers, they can simply wait until he's a free agent after next season and pick him up then.

~Bill Walsh

I would much, much rather have Bonifacio over Ramon Santiago...and I believe that Bonifacio is overrated.

Bonifacio is a hitter lacking power that can hit LHP, so that is a limitation on the offensive side. All of that said, he can still actually hit LHP, which is more than Ramon Santiago can say.

Archived