Brewer Fanatic

Adam Lind acquired from Toronto for Marco Estrada

markedman5
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's not to like about this deal. Estrada would have been non-tendered. We get rid of Overbay, Estrada and Reynolds and one could argue we're saving money.

I would like to see Melvin shake up the team but not sure he has that mindset.

This could well be Melvin's last year as GM and Roenicke's last year as manager. I think they're taking one last shot at a playoff run, and things will be blown up mid-season if the team is struggling in the standings.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Wow, has anyone posted this yet?

2013-2014 vs. RHP (all positions, min. 500 PA)

1) Mike Trout, .415 wOBA

2) Miguel Cabrera, .411 wOBA

3) David Ortiz, .405 wOBA

4) Troy Tulowitzki, .403 wOBA

5) Adam Lind, .402 wOBA (.327/.395/.537/.931)

Uh, yeah, that's an upgrade.

The simple truth is that this team has never been 1 or 2 players away, not ever with the current Front Office staff or Ownership.

Away from what? A World Series Championship? Perhaps...

But this team almost certainly was a competent 1B away from the playoffs and a division title this year, and that's 1 player.

Christ man, its November 1st, 2014, not March 1, 2015. Did anyone in here expect we would have addressed our 1B situation with a COMPETENT player already? Half of us were resigned to the possibility of Overbay/Reynolds again.

We will find utility INF. We will address our lack of depth. DM isn't an idiot, neither is Attanasio. They saw how badly we wore down towards the end of the season. Just like they saw we can't have another season of production at 1st base like we have had the past two years. Lind is an immense upgrade for us, and by far the best 1st baseman since Prince. Think about it...we're set for 2 years now at a modest price if he doesn't get hurt.

Linds BA, OBP, and OPS were all higher than any player on our regular roster last year, INCLUDING Lucroy.

In the words of the GREAT Aaron Rodgers.... R - E - L - A - X.

Firstly, I don't know that we've improved our first base issue at all. We have a new face, that is all I know.

Lind's numbers were based off of 290 at bats, and in a league where he's seen the same pitchers for nine years. We're expecting him to get us 500 at bats in a new league with all new pitchers. The chances he will approach those numbers this year are slim. Do not forget, too, that in hitting .321, he only hit 6 home runs in those 290 at bats.

Lastly, I'm not anxious. I'm merely making conversation in response to everybody who seems overjoyed by this move, and I am relating what I am seeing. I hope Lind hits 30 home runs, and helps us get to and win a World Series. I will be the happiest guy in Texas next fall if that happens. But I have been watching this game long enough, and I have watched Doug Melvin assemble teams long enough (he was the Ranger GM before coming to Milwaukee, and I live 15 minutes from the Ballpark In Arlington). Only time will tell if this team has truly improved based on today's signing. I am very cautiously optimistic. But I see a lot of hurdles.

I don't know much about Lind except what I'm reading here but he's gotta be better than Overbay and Reynolds.

His name came up during the season too, but an excellent target for the Brewers would be Scott Van Slyke on the Dodgers. He should still be expendable due to their outfield logjam, and he kills LHP. You'd have a Lind/Van Slyke platoon, and both can play a serviceable corner OF so it's not a roster glut like having Overbay was. That would be fantastic.

You're talking about a 1B platoon that could approach a combined .400 wOBA if both have good seasons. I mean, come on, what's not to like. That's like having Prince Fielder back.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The simple truth is that this team has never been 1 or 2 players away, not ever with the current Front Office staff or Ownership.

Away from what? A World Series Championship? Perhaps...

But this team almost certainly was a competent 1B away from the playoffs and a division title this year, and that's 1 player.

I don't think Lind by himself is going to add more than 2 wins. But Lind + healthy Braun means Wild Card....and there were two Wild Card teams in the World Series this year.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wow, has anyone posted this yet?

2013-2014 vs. RHP (all positions, min. 500 PA)

1) Mike Trout, .415 wOBA

2) Miguel Cabrera, .411 wOBA

3) David Ortiz, .405 wOBA

4) Troy Tulowitzki, .403 wOBA

5) Adam Lind, .402 wOBA (.327/.395/.537/.931)

Uh, yeah, that's an upgrade.

Wow.... hadn't seen that yet..... amazing!

Yes that is a big upgrade

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

His name came up during the season too, but an excellent target for the Brewers would be Scott Van Slyke on the Dodgers. He should still be expendable due to their outfield logjam, and he kills LHP. You'd have a Lind/Van Slyke platoon, and both can play a serviceable corner OF so it's not a roster glut like having Overbay was. That would be fantastic.

You're talking about a 1B platoon that could approach a combined .400 wOBA if both have good seasons. I mean, come on, what's not to like. That's like having Prince Fielder back.

Agree on Van Slyke. Wrt Lind playing outfield......yikes.

What I don't like about this signing is that we are going to go into the season KNOWING that we will have to platoon 1B again. This wastes a bench spot, and it is pretty certain that we will need to platoon 2B. Just like last year, we could have 2 guys on the bench that can only play one position in the IF. (Although I know Lind has played in the OF in the past, haven't looked it up yet to see how often, but he was outfield eligible in fantasy leagues since I can remember)

I was hoping for a bigger splash in an offensive minded position, so this is a disappointment to me personally.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Van Slyke for who?

Dodgers send Van Skyke, Dee Gordon, & Zach Lee

Brewers send: Segura, Gallardo

Dee Gordon our new SS, Van Slyke is our 1B against LHP and a big bat off the bench. And we get a pitcher who has the makings of a Gallardo if he can put it together within the next 1-2 years.

Dodgers get their #3-4 pitcher, and a capable 2B/SS cheap.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I actually prefer platoons at corner positions because done well it doesn't really cost you a bench spot (had to have a back up anyway) and it actually makes you more likely to carry guys on the bench who can hit so that you have some options in the late innings. The problem last year was that we had two guys who could only play 1 position in Weeks and Overbay. A right handed defense first middle infield guy who can protect Gennet and guys like Rogers, Jimenez, or even Lind being able to spot start in the OF gives the team plenty of roster flexibility.

I was hoping for a bigger splash in an offensive minded position, so this is a disappointment to me personally.

What would be a bigger splash than getting a guy who was top-5 in all of MLB the last two seasons vs. RHP? Not saying I expect him to repeat that, but this is a creative solution to a problem that has no easy solutions. Adam LaRoche is a worse hitter and is also terrible against LHP, even if the Brewers had the money to spend on overpaying him. The Brewers just need to find a 1B/OF or 1B/3B who is at least average against LHP, and we have by far the best 1B option we've had since Prince left.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Van Slyke for who?

Dee Gordon our new SS, Van Slyke is our 1B against LHP and a big bat off the bench. And we get a pitcher who has the makings of a Gallardo if he can put it together within the next 1-2 years.

Why would the Dodgers want to do this? Segura was brutal last year, Gordon was an all star, and Van Slyke was a stud bench player. Gallardo is a decent #3 guys who is in the decline phase of his career. This move doesn't make any sense from the Dodgers perspective.

Van Slyke for who?

I don't see any upside to that trade for the Dodgers whatsoever. I really doubt the Dodgers would trade any of those three players for what the Brewers are giving up(certainly not Gordon who was the Dodgers catalyst last year).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Typical brewers fan trade, we get the good and get rid of the "bad"

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Van Slyke for who?

:laughing

The Dodgers would laugh us off the phone if this was proposed to them, and they would probably never answer our calls again, ever.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

We led the division for most of the season with, by far, the worst first base production in the division. Lind does not have to be great, he just has to be better than what we had.

Not true at all. Unless of course we're assuming every player from every team will play exactly the same next year. Which obviously won't happen.

What I don't like about this signing is that we are going to go into the season KNOWING that we will have to platoon 1B again. This wastes a bench spot, and it is pretty certain that we will need to platoon 2B. Just like last year, we could have 2 guys on the bench that can only play one position in the IF. (Although I know Lind has played in the OF in the past, haven't looked it up yet to see how often, but he was outfield eligible in fantasy leagues since I can remember)

Whoever ends up platooning with Lind doesn't have to be a guy who can only play firstbase, kinda as how Reynolds last year could play first and third. A guy like Jason Rogers could potentially be that option. Someone who can play first vs lefties and at other times fill in at third to give Ramirez days off. As for a platoon with Scooter, we are going to need a backup middle infielder or two anyways. So i think it's safe to assume that whoever does platoon with Scooter, that guy won't be as position limited as Weeks was. Had Rickie not been owed 10 million last year, odds are he wouldn't have even been on the team.

Adam LaRoche was mentioned often has a hopeful addition, but even he had a terrible .566 and .620 OPS vs lefties the last two years.

It would be nice if our farm system could produce a high quality firstbase prospect instead, but it's been a black hole in the minors. Given Attanasio keeps with a win now mandate and there is a dearth of available quality firstbaseman around the league, off the top of my head i can't think of a better realistic option than getting Lind and he also doesn't make big cash either. Mix in that we got him practically for nothing and he hits lefthanded which the lineup badly needed, i'm pretty happy about the move even if it's not some major franchise altering one. Those types major additions don't happen easily.

Adam LaRoche was mentioned often has a hopeful addition, but even he had a terrible .566 and .620 OPS vs lefties the last two years.

I'm sure mgmt took this into consideration when they made this deal---LaRoche is far from a complete player or guaranteed answer at 1b, would have cost more money and likely years, and has the same hitting issues that Lind does.

Lind was acquired for marginal cost and doesn't really stand in the way of the Brewers acquiring another young player that could eventually replace him. This is the kind of move that I like---much better than just waiting for the best player left on the free agent pile at the end of February.

as for the money paid to Lind---if you assume marco was going to be tendered, and we should, because he wa a valuable commodity, then Lind really only adds the difference between what marco would get in arbitration this year and Lind's deal---likely 2.5 million dollars.

This isn't a perfect fix-all, but I'm not sure there is one floating around the majors right now. Offense is really down, even at 1b. Very few teams have premier prospects at 1b, truthfully, our 1b prospect situation isn't that terrible---we could play Rogers and hope for the best. But this trade makes the team better---and i don't think signing LaRoche or Morse would have been better for the team---I think they would've been worse.

Archived