Brewer Fanatic

Are the San Francisco Giants a Dynasty?

Bombers
I think that if the Brewers won 3 titles in 5 years, & the sports news/industry talk was how we weren't a dynasty, this board would be going nuts about the east-coast, ESPN, & anti-small-market biases.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If one is looking for a metric, how about road attendance? Talented/Winning teams draw well on the road. It's one criteria I use when selecting which Brewers home games to attend.

How many teams really draw that well on the road anymore? We know the Yankees and Red Sox do. The Cardinals and Cubs still seem to, to a degree. Beyond that, I am not sure any teams really do, so can that really be a useful criteria for this type of discussion?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I feel like there are some comparable qualities to the NY football Giants, who won two Super Bowls in a span of 5 years. Who were the "stars" of those teams? Michael Strahan retired after the '07 season, so he was only part of one of those titles. And Eli Manning played huge during those title runs, but has generally been an average QB over his career.

They were the #5 seed after the '07 season, ran the table on the road in the postseason and upset the only truly "great" team that year - the previously undefeated New England Patriots. The Giants won the Super Bowl that year - but were they the "best" team over the course of the whole season?

In 2011, they were only 9-7, but it was good enough to win their division and again ran the table to another title. But would you say they were the best team that year over the course of the whole season?

Had the SF Giants had the best or second best record in the NL each year they won the title, then yes, they would be a Dynasty in the traditional sense. And I don't mean to take anything away from them, because I would argue that they've accomplished something even greater - they've won those titles when they weren't supposed to. Isn't it even more impressive to have won those championships as underdogs as opposed to being the favorites?

Gruber Lawffices

Archived