Brewer Fanatic

Oscar Taveras dies in auto accident

FidoMcCokefiend

Should have added "blog" "basement" and "cheetos" to the post to really drive home your point.

I didn't mean it as a criticism of your post. Please accept my apologies. I just detest websites like deadspin because they adhere to no journalistic sense of integrity.

Just horrible horrible news. Way to young; little details available yet but it doesn't really matter. Just devastating for the family.

And purely from a baseball standpoint this is the equivalent of losing Braun or Fielder right after they came up. You don't wish this kind of tragedy on anyone.

And for some reason, Carlos Martinez tweeted a photo of Taveras's body after the crash. It was just deleted a little while ago.

I extended my condolences on behalf of the Brewer family to the guys over on Gateway Redbirds. According to one of their members, Taveras, Kolten Wong and Carlos Martinez are best of friends, and Martinez was just completely distraught. I don't think he was thinking too straight, and I certainly don't think he meant to offend anybody. I'm sure that somebody asked him to take it down.

I feel terrible for these guys. I've been watching Taveras come up through the minors. He was a real star in the making. I thought he was going to be a thorn in our sides for the next decade and a half. This is just tragic. He was on the cusp of stardom, and for his life to be snuffed out this way is just so wrong. His girlfriend was killed in the accident, too.

It's been a real tough couple of months for the Brewers and Cardinals. One of their posters was at Miller Park when it was announced Jean Segura's son had passed away. And then there was the sudden death of Bruce Seid.

We need to remember that when it comes to playing each other, we can hate the Cardinals because they are our rivals. But when the game is done, they're just like us, passionate baseball fans.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Just saw a picture of his car. It was completely trashed. Though the final report hasn't come out, it sounds like it was a single car accident. The car flipped. I don't want to speculate.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Terrible news. Losing someone so young must be hard on everyone close to both families and the Cardinals organization. Personally, I was hoping to watch him play against the Brewers over the next decade and develop into a perennial All-Star. My condolences go out to his and his girlfriend's families along with the entire Cardinals organization.

It's been a long time since a young player with such promise met an untimely demise. Old timers will remember Cub 2B Ken Hubbs who perished at age 22 in 1964. Hubbs was a 20 year old NL Rookie of the year in 1962, and also won a Gold Glove that season.

The only active Brewer to perish was relief pitcher Danny Frisella on New Years Day, 1977. He died when his dune buggy overturned in the Arizona desert outside of Phoenix. Frisella, who spent several fine years with the Mets, but was in the minors for most of the famed 69 season, was quite effective coming out of the pen for the 76 Brewers. He was 30 years old at the time of his death.

Tragic when such young lives are cut short.

And for some reason, Carlos Martinez tweeted a photo of Taveras's body after the crash. It was just deleted a little while ago.

I think this is a cultural difference. There are many cultures that openly show death and the dead as closure. Just not as accepted in our culture.

Terrible news.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived