Brewer Fanatic

Joe Maddon opts out of contract

nate82

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if Mark A will look into hiring him. He is a clear upgrade over RRR. Although I'm sure the money LA will likely offer him will be hard to pass up.

The Brewers have made it clear they're going to stick with Roenicke going into next season, so that scenario won't play out. Friedman has supposedly been on board with keeping Mattingly on in LA, so it seems like going to the Twins is Maddon's only opportunity as of right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wonder if Mark A will look into hiring him. He is a clear upgrade over RRR. Although I'm sure the money LA will likely offer him will be hard to pass up.

The Brewers have made it clear they're going to stick with Roenicke going into next season, so that scenario won't play out. Friedman has supposedly been on board with keeping Mattingly on in LA, so it seems like going to the Twins is Maddon's only opportunity as of right now.

Maddon also said he wasn't going to leave but circumstances can change quickly in professional sports. I think Mark A. and DM would be foolish to not at least sit down and discuss the possibility. Again Maddon presents a clear cut upgrade over RRR where as you couldn't say such before he Maddon opted out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm betting he ends up in LA. It's kind of weird to opt out if you don't have a good idea of what your next step is. Madden could easily sit out a year and look for an ideal situation, but I have to think something is in the works. LA can offer him a ton of money and he'll have the full backing of the front office. And he'd be great for LA. Mattingly has been second guessed by his players, the fans and the media for a long time. It's like he's been a lame-duck leader for about two years. With Madden as manager, there's not question who's the boss on the field and in the front office. Those two guys will have each others' backs.

Mattingly? Of course they said he'd be back. You have to hedge your bets in case something goes wrong. But when a guy like Madden shows up on the shelf, you have to make the move.

Chicago would be another good destination. A young, up-and-coming franchise - that's pretty attractive to any manager. But I'm betting Mattingly is gone within a couple of days - and LA is the destination.

Minnesota isn't a bad franchise, but this could be Madden's one big chance at a major franchise (money, talent, fanbase). The Twins have a lot of nice young players, but they are a ways away. LA can win now - plus pay a lot more.

What kind of public commitment have the Cubs made to their manager?

An ESPN Insider article by Jim Bowden titled "Joe Maddon could land with the Cubs".

Seems a little odd. At least I thought Renteria did a nice job with them this year. Then again, Epstein has more stones than Melvin to could go ahead and make a move like this if he thinks that it would be an upgrade.

Is it possible this could just be a negotiation tactic buy Maddon to secure a new contract extension from the Rays? Thought just crossed my mind.

They were negotiating right up until the point Maddon opted out.

Well, that could still theoretically be part of the process then, couldn't it?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Why on earth would Madden leave the Rays to go to the Twins let alone the Brewers. Unless someone is backing up the truck those two moves would be lateral at best. there is someone else out there other than the Twins or Brewers I imagine. I still wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in LA.

Is it possible this could just be a negotiation tactic buy Maddon to secure a new contract extension from the Rays? Thought just crossed my mind.

They were negotiating right up until the point Maddon opted out.

Well, that could still theoretically be part of the process then, couldn't it?

No. Not in this case. He's gone. And literally by the minute the signs pointing to the Cubs are multiplying.

Why on earth would Madden leave the Rays to go to the Twins let alone the Brewers. Unless someone is backing up the truck those two moves would be lateral at best. there is someone else out there other than the Twins or Brewers I imagine. I still wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in LA.

Maddon admitted they were just to far apart financially in their negotiations. Its possible Joe isn't confident the Rays can continue putting a competitive team on the field without Friedman and/or an increased payroll. At the end of the day, money usually wins out.

I'll just use the word "reportedly" to pass along what I'm reading. Maddon wants to go to a big market and both the Dodgers and Mets brass have already commented on record that they're sticking with their current mangers. Maddon's agents reached out to a specific 5 teams to let them know that Maddon would be interested if they magically had an opening. It's a safe assumption the Brewers weren't on that list. Again, Maddon wants a big market.

Do the math. Big market - Dodgers, Mets = Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs. And since the first 3 of those aren't getting rid of their guys, that leaves the Cubs. Yes there are other big markets and Maddon's list wasn't a 1 team list but it sure sounds likes Cubs to me.

Yeah, Joel Sherman is reporting similar now that things are pointing toward him going to the Cubs. Braves and Blue Jays also mentioned as possibilities though.

Could definitely see the Braves as a surprise team but not the Jays. Starting to brace myself that it's gonna be the Cubs though.

anyone else feel that he is going to take the year off, work for ESPN or MLBN and realize he can get any job he wants in 2016.

Maddon has already spoken on this. He wants to manage next year. And wants big $$$. He was even asked about the fact that his agent is contacting teams without current openings. He said what teams decide to do is out of his control. Given the fact that he doesn't want to take a year off and that there is no doubt a high number of teams that would love to have him, I think its very likely he'll manage in the majors next year.

Archived