Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Hire Ray Montgomery

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/11718304/los-angeles-dodgers-talked-josh-byrnes-gm-job

It's also unclear whether Friedman will retain longtime Dodgers scouting director Logan White, who is well-respected within the industry.

If the Dodgers were to let Logan White go, I would be very happy to see the Brewers pursue him.

good find WTP, I hope that the brewers go outside the organization for this hire. While I think Seid did a better job that he gets credit for, the brewers minor league system has not produced the quality of big leaguers that they did under Jack Z. Its time for a fresh approach to drafting and developing players.

Jack Z. got some very early high picks where nearly everbody was available. Seid didn't have that advantage. Seid's first year was hampered by the fact that he had less than a year to prepare for the draft and retool the scouting system after Jack Z. left. Second, the one draft Seid made that yielded Jungmann and Bradley I'm sure the organization made a conscious choice to try to get college pitchers who they felt could advance quickly so that the organization didn't have to keep buying expensive free agent and traded for pitchers to compete. He did the best he could under that circumstance.

I feel Bruce Seid was on the right track in the guys he has taken the past couple of years. Every team misses on some picks (including the Cardinals). Still, I don't mind if the new scouting director comes from outside but they need to get this right. A failed scouting director will put the Brewers years behind.

First choice would be someone from St. Louis who can/will bring a few folks with him. I'm not sold that they are the best in the business, but they are very good and when you can weaken a primary competitor it's worth extra.

The Blue Jays have done some good work finding high upside talent late in the first and in the 2nd-5th rounds so I wouldn't mind someone from their org either.

Not sure about the Dodgers. The Brewers need someone who is good at drafting, and I don't know that the Dodgers have been that great. Yes they hit on Seager (#18 overall) and Joc Pederson (not sure if they had to throw a ton of money at him to get him to sign) but other than that haven't really did well. If you think the Brewers 2009 draft was bad, look at the Dodgers that year; other than Pederson they didn't get much from their 2009-2011 drafts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/11718304/los-angeles-dodgers-talked-josh-byrnes-gm-job

It's also unclear whether Friedman will retain longtime Dodgers scouting director Logan White, who is well-respected within the industry.

If the Dodgers were to let Logan White go, I would be very happy to see the Brewers pursue him.

Logan White is joining the Padres:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11773645/logan-white-leaving-los-angeles-dodgers-joining-san-diego-padres-front-office

Not surprised that they waited until after the season, at least to fill the spot, due to the unexpected death of Seid. In part in deference to the memory of Bruce, but also because a search takes time and it is hard to go outside the organization during the season. However hopefully they have been targeting people during this time and are ready to pounce now that the WS is over. I fully agree about grabbing someone from the Cards. They know how to draft and develop.

I wonder if someone like Reid Nichols would be considered to slide over? I hope it's not someone from within the organization.

I'd like a Cards influence. Shelby Miller, Wacha, Lance Lynn. How about that for pitching identification? That's damn impressive. In the lineup, you can look at Adams, Carpenter, Jay and Wong just in recent years. Some of these guys were low draft picks, and so arguably there is some luck involved, but the Cards know what they are looking for. Hitting on home grown talent like that is what we desperately need.

I wonder if someone like Reid Nichols would be considered to slide over? I hope it's not someone from within the organization.

I think if it was someone already in the organization, it would have been announced by now. I hope they are searching far and wide, as I think an outside perspective would be good.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

So is this the new guy?

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy 11m11 minutes ago

Doug Melvin says #Brewers will have an announcement Monday regarding @nickpiecoro's report that MKE has re-hired Ray Montgomery.

Nick Piecoro ‏@nickpiecoro 28m28 minutes ago

Montgomery will be special assistant to the GM and vice president of scouting for the Brewers.

So what do we know about Ray Montgomery? Here's an article that talks about some of his background: http://dairylandexpress.com/2014/11/01/milwaukee-brewers-bringing-back-ray-montgomery-lead-scouting/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network Apparently he is credited with scouting Rickie Weeks before the Brewers drafted him.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Ray Montgomery is highly regarded in the baseball community. He has paid his dues and climbed the ladder, including several years with the Brewers - he has been a candidate for the GM spots in AZ and SD.

I think this is a good hire, and as others are suggesting, he may be the heir apparent to Doug Melvin.

Doug Melvin's contract runs through 2015, correct? I would not at all be surprised if Melvin informed the Brewers that he plans on retiring after next season and Montgomery has come on board with the understanding that he will take over following the '15 season
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Montgomery is in, and this is a solid move. Ray's been around the game a long time, and he's done solid work, he's worth trying in this role, for sure.

When you look at how many players the Brewers have who are entering the final year of their contracts, you can see the obvious need for young talent in the near future. The system has some better athletes in it now, and adding to them is going to be absolutely essential.

Welcome, Ray, no pressure now, just draft a handful of Hall of Fame types in the next two years.

Archived