Brewer Fanatic

Aramis Ramirez to Return in 2015

reillymcshane

I believe it's actually for $14 million.

Yes, but if the Brewers didn't exercise their side of the option they had to pay a $4M buyout. Hence the net number of $10M is accurate when comparing what could the Brewers have done if they didn't go the ARam route in 2015.

The most accurate number for 2015 is $12M. The Brewers would have had to pay $2M in 2015 and $2M in 2016.

I don't understand it. I wish the Brewers would have declined the option and just forked over the $2M for this year and saved themselves $12M.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless, Ramirez is hardly a great physical specimen. He protected his hamstring after getting hurt by running like a 60 year old man. I know, I'm 62. You won't win with guys so conscious of tearing a hamstring that they have to jog.

With as articulate as you are in your opinions, I wouldn't have put you at 62. Nice to have somewhat of a visual to your username after all these years. ;)

Well, besides the fact that there weren't other obvious great (or potentially even worthwhile) options for 3B, I like this move a lot. To the contention that it's a bad move, I think you have to give it time and at the same time consider what/who the replacement options realistically may have been.

Ramirez slumped badly in the 2nd half like everyone else did, including our newly annointed "face of the franchise" Lucroy. It's too soon to state as fact that Ramirez is now over the hill and in irreversible decline.

The truth is that he may be in decline -- just as he may not be. No one knows for sure. I get quite bothered by how quickly so many folks here seem to be going "all in" with the "sky is falling" mentality, and in the process are dismissing Ramirez completely because of his age and realistically allowing no chance that he's not done yet.

I still think Johnny Narron was no help -- who really showed any significant improvement under him these past 3 years, or who during last year's total slump & nosedive showed they could make meaningful adjustments??? -- and I'm at least encouraged by the Coles hiring.

I still think Johnny Narron was no help -- who really showed any significant improvement under him these past 3 years?.

During the last 3 years? Lucroy & Gomez improved tremendously. Khris Davis & Scooter Gennett exceeded any (or at least most) expectations that were had for them 3 years ago. Rickie Weeks' stats were far better in '14 than in '13 or '12 (admittedly due in large part to being platooned, but still Rickie hit .294 with a .351 OBP vs RHP last season). Jean Segura hit .271 with a .330 OBP in the 2nd half of 2014

I'd say Narron was just a fall guy, and in actuality is a very good hitting coach

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I can't imagine the Brewers going in with a $107 Million payroll; that has to leave them with little to no flexibility. Broxton, Gallardo/Lohse, and Parra seem the most likely to get traded and reduce that number. The Brewers can probably support $107 Million; but MA and DM always want some in reserve at the deadline in case an opportunity comes up.

The Brewers are really setting themselves up for one more year of "going for it" before they'll have to take a step back when they lose Gallardo, Lohse, Broxton, Parra and Ramirez, with only one more season of Gomez, while Braun gets expensive and they have all the deferred payments reilly outlined above.

In that light, I could definitely see Attanasio being willing to play this season in the red, doing anything he can to try to get another playoff run before the window closes. If this is the case, they can't get rid of Parra, who is a great 4th OF or platoon mate for Davis, and they won't trade away one of their veteran starting pitchers. He's probably got his finance guys crunching the numbers to see if they can add some bench or bullpen upgrades on one-year deals.

That said, he's probably going to have a quick trigger to sell if they're out of it at trade deadline both to get under budget and to add some young talent to make the next few years a little less painful.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

In that light, I could definitely see Attanasio being willing to play this season in the red, doing anything he can to try to get another playoff run before the window closes. If this is the case, they can't get rid of Parra, who is a great 4th OF or platoon mate for Davis, and they won't trade away one of their veteran starting pitchers. He's probably got his finance guys crunching the numbers to see if they can add some bench or bullpen upgrades on one-year deals.

That's a great point, though they may not make any more significant additions during winter, and wait to "save" some payroll room until mid-season. Then they'll make a trade and bring on payroll if they're in the thick of the playoff hunt. That's kind of been Attanasio's modus operandi the past few years.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think the one year deal with AR works well with the Current Brewer window.

I would hope the Brewers would leave whomever is going to be the Future 3rd baseman @ Colo Springs instead of on the bench.

It's a pretty easy call who will be the backup. Jiminez is out of options and the more experienced 3rd baseman. I suspect Rogers will be playing the bulk of his time at 3B in AAA. Green will simply be a AAA utility guy.

Even if all those thinking bringing back Ramirez was the right move, think about it. They will be paying $14 million (or $10 more than they would have if they turned down the option) for a guy who they will need to rest 1-2 times a week, and they still won't know if Rogers or Jiminez will be capable of taking over the job in 2016. I dunno, I think a $14 million dollar player should be able to be counted on to produce playing a full schedule barring an injury. Personally, I just think Melvin is coasting and didn't want to work all that hard finding an alternative so he took the path of least resistance. Looking for a 1B seemed to exhaust him last season. I think it will blow up in his and the Brewers' face but history tells us Attanasio will still have his back.

Even if all those thinking bringing back Ramirez was the right move, think about it....

Just to be clear, I hoped he wouldn't be back. I don't think he's going to be worth anywhere near what he's being paid, and I figured that his decision would determine how the offseason played out. If he left, the team may trade away some vets to get some young talent. With Ramirez back for one year, there is no doubt in my mind that Attanasio will do whatever he thinks it takes to win this season before things blow up.

If I thought "whatever it takes" would be enough for the Brewers to win it all this year, I might be able to get behind this, but I still don't think the team will be good enough to make losing all that talent at the end of the season for nothing worthwhile.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If they do rest Aramis 1-2 days a week, this will provide Jimenez a opportunity to to get some big league at bats under his belt and allow Rogers a full season in AAA playing 3B. Hopefully one of them steps up and shows they deserve to start in 2016. Keeping Ramirez fresh could keep his production from dropping off to much.

I also think having Ramirez around will help them decide what to do in 2016. Jimenez and/ or Rogers should get ample playing time with Lind and Ramirez on the roster. I was hoping Ramirez would decline but do think there are positives to having him around one last time.

I think the one year deal with AR works well with the Current Brewer window.

I would hope the Brewers would leave whomever is going to be the Future 3rd baseman @ Colo Springs instead of on the bench.

It's a pretty easy call who will be the backup. Jiminez is out of options and the more experienced 3rd baseman. I suspect Rogers will be playing the bulk of his time at 3B in AAA. Green will simply be a AAA utility guy.

Even if all those thinking bringing back Ramirez was the right move, think about it. They will be paying $14 million (or $10 more than they would have if they turned down the option) for a guy who they will need to rest 1-2 times a week, and they still won't know if Rogers or Jiminez will be capable of taking over the job in 2016. I dunno, I think a $14 million dollar player should be able to be counted on to produce playing a full schedule barring an injury. Personally, I just think Melvin is coasting and didn't want to work all that hard finding an alternative so he took the path of least resistance. Looking for a 1B seemed to exhaust him last season. I think it will blow up in his and the Brewers' face but history tells us Attanasio will still have his back.

Or he didn't want to get caught with his pants down like he did at 1st base given the fact that there are VERY few options available to us and just about any that can be counted on to produce like Ramirez would require a far longer, far more expensive commitment.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived