Brewer Fanatic

Aramis Ramirez to Return in 2015

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Jon Heyman is reporting that Aramis Ramirez wants to return to Milwaukee in 2015. This is the first report saying that A-Ram would actually pick up him side of the 2015 option.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24754572/aramis-would-love-to-remain-a-brewer-but-there-are-steps-to-go-first

I still expect the club to bring back Ramirez on a two-year deal. I think it will be $11-12 million annually, but perhaps we can make it a little lower and put in some incentives for games played.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fine with one year, but two is pushing it. Too bad we don't have someone in the pipeline ready to take over 3B, but we don't, so it won't surprise me in the least if we sign him for the extra year. If we give him three years, I'm going to flip out!
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Brewers have the first call, which is whether to pick up his $14 million option or buy him out for $4 million.

That sucks for them. It would be much easier for the team if Ramirez made his decision first. If the Brewers decline the option, it's a no-brainer for Ramirez to exercise his side and get $4MM extra, no matter where he plays next year. If the Brewers exercise their side, it'd be tough to turn down $14MM, but if he thinks he can get a 2-3 year deal, he may decline. My biggest concern is that the Brewers sign him to a 2-3 year deal. He's old, it's amazing he's made it this far, and I don't want to get stuck with him when Father Time kicks him in the butt. Unfortunately, that's probably what's going to happen.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Aram would be a pretty good fit to re-sign in my opinion. Given his production he will be pretty cheap. I would rather they bring back Aram than have to sign a different 3B for 3+ years and likely a higher annual value. Aram is certainly old; but I think he still has some gas left in the tank and is probably the Brewers best option.

The fact is Ramirez was not a productive player from late June until the end of the season. The Brewers hit their high water mark of 19 games over .500 on June 28th. At the time Ramirez was batting .294/.341/.498 for and OPS of .838. He had 11 HR and 40 RBI.

The remainder of the season, he hit .281/.322/.375 with just 4 HR and 26 RBI.

Over the final month he, not unlike many others, was terrible: .217/.258/.293 with 1 HR and 5 RBI. The difference is Ramirez is 36 and save the $4 million, he's not under contract to bring back.

Best case scenario if they bring him back is he gets rejuvenated rest in the offseason and starts next year like he did this and somebody takes him off their hands in July.

Frankly I'd spend the money elsewhere rather than hope a soon to be 37 year old who can't run, and obviously tired down the stretch can rebound off a half season of little production.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From the things said by club officials and ownership, it certainly looks as if they think we can be a contender next season. I think that means they bring back A-Ram and Gallardo, and splurge on a 1B like LaRoche. They'll hope Ramirez and LaRoche can stay healthy and productive despite their advancing ages, plus hope for rebounds from Braun and Segura.

Again, I wish we'd pass, but it's not my call.

"with aaaaaaaaarms wide oooooooopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen"

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

From the things said by club officials and ownership, it certainly looks as if they think we can be a contender next season. I think that means they bring back A-Ram and Gallardo, and splurge on a 1B like LaRoche. They'll hope Ramirez and LaRoche can stay healthy and productive despite their advancing ages, plus hope for rebounds from Braun and Segura.

Again, I wish we'd pass, but it's not my call.

Personally I don't want to place all of our hopes on two aging players not declining. If the plan is to go after LaRoche then I would prefer letting A-Ram walk and replacing him with a younger, better defensive option, like Headley, who still provides above average production to the offense. These moves will shore up the infield defense and help to balance out our lineup.

Best case scenario if they bring him back is he gets rejuvenated rest in the offseason and starts next year like he did this and somebody takes him off their hands in July.

The best case scenario is the Brewers bring him back for next year and they make a run in the playoffs.

A better case is the Brewers don't bring him back, but rather find a young, inexpensive corner IF who they will control for six years (potentially obtained through a trade of Gallardo or Lohse). With some of the savings from not paying Ramirez and Gallardo/Lohse, they sign a younger corner IF (Sandoval?) and these guys help the Brewers make several runs in the playoffs over the next half-decade rather than putting everything into next year, after which Lohse, Gallardo, Broxton and Ramirez will all leave for nothing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The best case scenario is the Brewers bring him back for next year and they make a run in the playoffs.

Best case scenario is they bring back Rami, who in turn has a career year. Lohse and Gallardo continue their 3.0ish ERA. Broxton has a 1. something ERA. Parra hits 280, plays well and we trade them all at the break as the Brewers are 15 games out of first. This brings in 5-10 of various teams top prospects into our organization. That is my best case scenario.

Jon Heyman is reporting that Aramis Ramirez wants to return to Milwaukee in 2015. This is the first report saying that A-Ram would actually pick up him side of the 2015 option.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24754572/aramis-would-love-to-remain-a-brewer-but-there-are-steps-to-go-first

I still expect the club to bring back Ramirez on a two-year deal. I think it will be $11-12 million annually, but perhaps we can make it a little lower and put in some incentives for games played.

No way do i want to add a second year to the deal given his age

I would rather see them sign Chase Headley who is a younger, switch hitting, better defender and (arguably) better offensive player for the future.

Headley had a 4.4 WAR last year. A good solid defensive player. He's the exact type of player the Brewers don't have enough of (a plus defender who can work the count --- his OBP is consistently 80+ points higher than his BA). Bonus points that he hits RHP better than LHP

Ramirez ranked 14th among 3B's in the MLB in WAR last year at 2.1, tied with David Freese and just .1 ahead of Casey McGehee

He was, however 8th in SLG and 5th in BA, 10th in wOBA according to Fangraphs

On the surface that all seems OK, but he's going to be 37 years old and seems like the exact type of aging player Melvin has made mistakes on in the past

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yes, we all want the younger, cheaper, better player like Headley but so do about 15-20 other clubs. The Brewers can only afford the aging left overs like Suppan, Wolf, Lohse, Garza, and Ramirez... again. I think there's a darn good chance Ramirez is back in Milwaukee again but not because of the option. He'll either be expensive (accepts QO) or not quite as expensive (8-10MM after no one gives him a multi-year deal he settles for a one year deal in the "comfort" of Milwaukee).

He turns 37 next year. His power has faded and he can't score from 2nd on hits that 98% of the rest of the league can and it takes well hit fly balls to score him from 3rd with less than 2 outs. They won't make a playoff run with him not producing like he did over the last 80 some games this year.

Look he's had fine career, but it's coming to an end fast. If the Brewers bring him back and pay him $14 million what do they do when he's hitting .265/.305/.370 in mid June with 4 HR and 25 RBI and Rogers is hitting .320/.370/.480 at AAA and improving defensively at 3B? They won't be able to move him at that salary and likely they won't want to eat $7-8 million. That's a much more likely scenario than him returning to form and being part of a contending team. Now they still might contend in spite of him for a couple months, but he'd still be on borrowed time.

Yes, we all want the younger, cheaper, better player like Headley but so do about 15-20 other clubs. The Brewers can only afford the aging left overs like Suppan, Wolf, Lohse, Garza, and Ramirez... again. I think there's a darn good chance Ramirez is back in Milwaukee again but not because of the option. He'll either be expensive (accepts QO) or not quite as expensive (8-10MM after no one gives him a multi-year deal he settles for a one year deal in the "comfort" of Milwaukee).

The Brewers can definitely afford to outbid other clubs for a player like Headley. If A-Ram doesn't return it frees up $14M for 2015. In 2016, the Brewers have over $40M coming off the books (Lohse, Gallardo, Broxton, Parra, Estrada) and contract and arbitration raises of around $18-22M to Braun, Gomez, Lucroy, Peralta, Fiers, Segura, Maldonado Kintzler and Jeffress. This still leaves plenty of room for Headley going forward. MLBTraderumors predicted Headley will sign for 4 years/$48M ($12M AAV). Why do you think the Brewers have no chance to sign him?

Finally what 15-20 teams do you figure will be bidding for his services? MLBTraderumors only lists 8 teams (Red Sox, Astros, Royals, Brewers, Giants, Blue Jays, Nationals and Yankees) with many off those options being long shots. The Yankees have A-Rod coming back and cannot guarantee Headley will even start full time. The Red Sox prefer Sandoval over Headley. Nationals and Blue Jays could fill their spot with Rendon and Lawrie by signing second basemen. Royals may choose to stick with Moustakas since he's been clutch in the playoffs and reallocate their available payroll to sign Shields' replacement. Astros are a possibility if Headley doesn't mind losing for the first couple of seasons. This leaves the Brewers and Giants giving us a 50% chance or possibly a bit less if the Giants win the World Series.

I would welcome back A-Ram for any sort of 1 year deal. Then I would like to see them sign LaRoche to play 1B on a 2 year deal and use Jason Rogers off the bench in the role Reynolds filled in 2014 as the backup 1B/3B.

My only concern on signing Ramirez to a one year deal is we will be in the same spot next year looking to sign a 3B since we don't have any internal options (IMO Rogers' ceiling is a solid bench/role player) and the 2016 free agent class headlines Beltre who will be 37 (who will still be expensive and likely to start declining) along with Uribe (37), Freese (33) and McGehee (32), none of whom I would consider better options than Headley from an offensive or defensive standpoint.

Archived