Brewer Fanatic

Build your winning roster for 2015

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Time to build your club for 2015!

You get $105 million to build the club. The current roster (at the bottom of the post) is at $63 million. That leaves you with $42 million to spend. Numbers are rounded to the nearest half million dollars.

IMPORTANT: Your goal is win in 2015, so try and assemble the best team possible.

Arbitration eligible players are listed at the bottom of the page, with estimated cost. The salary I've assigned can't be changed. You can keep them or not. The only player with an option you have to decide upon is Gallardo's.

Positions to fill: back up C (Maldonado is a likely no brainer), 1B, 3B, two back up infield slots, two back up OF slots, and a couple of pitchers.

To fill the positions, you can sign free agents, make trades, or bring guys up from the minors. Free agents signings should be realistic (provide years and totals), as should trades (trades need to be detailed - you can't just say, "I trade for Mookie Betts to play 2B). Minor league players (as well as any non arbitration eligible players) get half a million salary. Players may be moved to new positions if it's realistic (such as Nelson could go become a reliever if you add Gallardo to the roster). You're welcome to put a position up for battle, such as saying, "1B goes to Rogers or Clark, depending on who has a better camp."

IMPORTANT: Ryan Braun cannot be traded. With his contract, PED issues, and injury problems, no one would take him.

Have fun!

Here's some resources to use:

Free agents: here's a list: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/2015-mlb-free-agents.html

Free agent profiles (just started, so there's not a lot of players, but it gives you some ideas) http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014-15-free-agent-profiles

Cot's Baseball contracts (has all the latest salary info for all the teams) : http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/

ROSTER - Fill in player and salary

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C -

1B -

2B - Scooter (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

3B -

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

RF - Braun (14.5 includes prorated $2.5 million bonus he's due in April)

INF -

INF -

OF -

OF -

SP - Garza (12.5), Lohse (11.0), Nelson (0.5), Fiers (0.5), Peralta (0.5)

RP - Broxton (9.0), Jeffress (0.5), Smith (0.5), Thornburg (0.5), Henderson (0.5)

Arbitration eligible players

C - Maldonado (1.0)

RP - Kintzler (1.0)

OF - Parra (6.0)

P - Estrada (4.0)

Option available player

SP - Gallardo (13.0)

Ramirez is not listed here since the greatest odds are that he will decline his half of the option, thus making him a free agent

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my thoughts

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C - Maldonado (1.0)

1B - Daric Barton (7.5)

2B - Scooter (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

3B - Chase Headley (10)

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

INF - Emilio Bonifacio (5)

INF - Hart (8.0)

OF - Parra (6.0)

OF - Schaefer (0.5)

RP - Broxton (9.0), Jeffress (0.5), Smith (0.5), Thornburg (0.5), Henderson (0.5), Pat Neshek (3.5), Andrew Miller (4.0)

That's a $108.5 million roster. Probably won't shake out that way, but it's my guess.

Sign Chase Headley 3 yrs/30 mil, Norichika Aoki 2 yrs, 10 mil, Emilio Bonifacio 2 yrs, 10 mil, Zach Duke 2 years, 10 mil

RF Aoki (5)

2B Gennett (0.5)

LF Braun (14.5)

3B Headley (10)

C Lucroy (3)

CF Gomez (8)

1B Clark (0.5)

SS Segura (0.5)

---------------

Bench-Davis (0.5)

Bench-Schafer (0.5)

Bench-Maldanado(1)

Bench-J.Rogers (0.5)

Bench- Bonifacio (5)

SP- Fiers (0.5)

SP-Peralta (0.5)

SP-Lohse (11)

SP-Garza (12.5)

SP-Gallardo (13)

--------------

RP-Estrada (4)

RP-Broxton (9)

RP- Jeffress (0.5)

RP- Smith (0.5)

RP-Thornburg or Henderson (0.5)

RP- Nelson (0.5)

RP-Duke (5)

I'd like LaRoche to be signed, but it's probably gonna take at least 3 years, and the back end of that contract might not end well for the now-34 year old. At least Headley is a bit younger and can switch-hit, giving us an element to our offense we haven't had in a while.

Bonifacio getting some love so far. I think $5 million is a bit high, but you never know.

I think Andrew Miller is going to get a lot more than $4 million. Probably double that. The guy was unreal: 103K / 17BB in 62 innings. 0.80 WHIP, 2.02 ERA. I think someone gives him near closer money.

I'm wondering what guys like Neshak and Duke will get. Both have had erratic track records (especially Duke). Both probably get at least two years - maybe three. I was thinking closer to $3 million a year, but that's probably me being hopeful. It just takes one team to blow everything up (like the Rockies giving Boone Logan $5 million a year last off season).

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C- Maldonado (1.0)

1B - Michael Morse (11.0), 2 year deal, $23 million with team option for 3rd year at $12 million, with $1 million buyout

2B - Gennett (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

3B - Sandoval (14.0) 4 yrs, 60 million

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

RF - Braun (14.5)

INF - DJ LeMahieu (1.7)

INF - Hector Gomez (0.5)

OF - Clark (0.5)

OF - Denorfia (1.7)

SP - Garza (12.5), Lohse (11.0), Fiers (0.5), Nelson (0.5), Peralta (0.5)

RP - Broxton (9.0,) Duke (3.0), Smith (0.5), Jeffress (0.5), Henderson (0.5), Kintzler (1.0), Thornburg (0.5)

There you go for a mere $97.4 million which allows for mid season add-ons, and a bit more if needed to land the Panda. Gallardo's option is picked up but he's dealt to Rockies for mostly prospects and LeMahieu who takes role of Weeks with added benefit of also filling in at 3B. In a surprise, Parra is non-tendered as he's too expensive to be a backup and not good enough to play every day. Denorfia is similar player but a lot cheaper and RH. Big move is the raiding of the Giants, getting Morse and Sandoval in somewhat of a package deal. Both rake in Miller Park. The first of the two to sign is used to attract the 2nd. Should Morse re-signs with Giants before FA, replace him with Cuddyer for the same deal. Clark included to fill in either at corner OF or backup 1B and primary LH power off the bench.

Here's my thoughts

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C - Maldonado (1.0)

1B - Daric Barton (7.5)

2B - Scooter (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

3B - Chase Headley (10)

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

INF - Hart (8.0)

OF - Parra (6.0)

OF - Schaefer (0.5)

RP - Broxton (9.0), Jeffress (0.5), Smith (0.5), Thornburg (0.5), Henderson (0.5), Pat Neshek (3.5), Andrew Miller (4.0)

That's a $108.5 million roster. Probably won't shake out that way, but it's my guess.

No way they build a bench costing $20 million.

I would have to think about it more but would certainly stay away from Brewer retreads like Hart and Aoki. Going after the combination of Morse/Sandoval doesn't seem like a bad idea. If getting rid of Gallardo is necessary to stay within budget and get Morse/Sandoval then I am okay with it. Would be much more comfortable getting rid of Gallardo if Thornburg showed signs of being healthy.

The idea of morse/sandoval is awesome! I dont thi k they can pull it off, but man it would be awesome

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The first thing I'd do is fire Doug Melvin & hire Craig Counsell as GM. I could see Counsell hiring Dale Sveum as manager and letting Roenicke go, and I'd be OK with that. I'd bring in someone from the Cardinals to head up my scouting dept

I'd see if I could overpay for Bryce Harper. Something like Carlos Gomez & Garza for Harper

I'd retain Gallardo, let Ramirez walk

Sign Adam LaRoche and Ben Zobrist

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The idea of morse/sandoval is awesome! I dont thi k they can pull it off, but man it would be awesome

Building a winning roster on paper is a lot easier because you can just make the assumption that you sign the guys you target. But that would be an awesome lineup one through seven. Those are the guys I'd target. Whether I'd get them is another story. But I'd try.

Sandoval is going to cost a boatload of cash... I don't think we can compete with the big boys for his services.

What has Morse done to warrant so much enthusiasm?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Here's my thoughts

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C - Maldonado (1.0)

1B - Daric Barton (7.5)

2B - Scooter (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

3B - Chase Headley (10)

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

INF - Hart (8.0)

OF - Parra (6.0)

OF - Schaefer (0.5)

No way they build a bench costing $20 million.

Just guessing on numbers. Same thing with Barton.

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C- Maldonado (1.0)

1B - Michael Morse (11.0), 2 year deal, $23 million with team option for 3rd year at $12 million, with $1 million buyout

2B - Gennett (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

3B - Sandoval (14.0) 4 yrs, 60 million

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

RF - Braun (14.5)

INF - DJ LeMahieu (1.7)

INF - Hector Gomez (0.5)

OF - Clark (0.5)

OF - Denorfia (1.7)

SP - Garza (12.5), Lohse (11.0), Fiers (0.5), Nelson (0.5), Peralta (0.5)

RP - Broxton (9.0,) Duke (3.0), Smith (0.5), Jeffress (0.5), Henderson (0.5), Kintzler (1.0), Thornburg (0.5)

There you go for a mere $97.4 million which allows for mid season add-ons, and a bit more if needed to land the Panda. Gallardo's option is picked up but he's dealt to Rockies for mostly prospects and LeMahieu who takes role of Weeks with added benefit of also filling in at 3B. In a surprise, Parra is non-tendered as he's too expensive to be a backup and not good enough to play every day. Denorfia is similar player but a lot cheaper and RH. Big move is the raiding of the Giants, getting Morse and Sandoval in somewhat of a package deal. Both rake in Miller Park. The first of the two to sign is used to attract the 2nd. Should Morse re-signs with Giants before FA, replace him with Cuddyer for the same deal. Clark included to fill in either at corner OF or backup 1B and primary LH power off the bench.

John, I think you are a few million per season (and a season) short on Sandoval. But I think you're overpaying for Morse. I see Morse at $7-8 million over two years - tops. He's a bad fielder, struggled with injuries and been erratic as a hitter. But even if I'm right, it all evens out in your numbers, however.

Denorfia is an interesting option. I was thinking about him if Parra isn't kept. Bad year in 2014, but he's been productive in the past, and can play all the positions. He is 34, so he might simply have lost it - but honestly, I haven't seen him lately, so I can't say one way or the other.

The first thing I'd do is fire Doug Melvin & hire Craig Counsell as GM. I could see Counsell hiring Dale Sveum as manager and letting Roenicke go, and I'd be OK with that. I'd bring in someone from the Cardinals to head up my scouting dept

I'd see if I could overpay for Bryce Harper. Something like Carlos Gomez & Garza for Harper

I'd retain Gallardo, let Ramirez walk

Sign Adam LaRoche and Ben Zobrist

Tampa holds a $7.5 million option on Zobrist. There is almost no way he hits the open market. Even if Tampa doesn't want Zobrist, they can exercise the option and deal him.

Since I started this thread, here's my 2015 team:

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C - Maldonado (1.0)

1B - LaRoche (12.0)

2B - Scooter (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

3B - Garin Cecchini (0.5)

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

INF - Cliff Pennington (3.5)

INF - Rogers (0.5) or some other 1b/3B who bats right handed to spell the left handed hitting corners

OF - Parra (6.0)

OF - Schafer (0.5)

Garza (12.5)

Lohse (11.0)

Nelson (0.5)

Fiers (0.5)

Peralta (0.5)

Broxton (9.0)

Jeffress (0.5)

Smith (0.5)

Thornburg (0.5)

Henderson (0.5)

Ariel Pena (0.5) - out of options so we lose him if he doesn't make the big league roster

Kintzler (1.0)

Estrada (4.0)

Miller (7.0)

(I've include 9 relievers, so a couple of these guys would need to head to AAA, assuming no one got hurt)

TOTAL: $100 million

Moves

Sign LaRoche to a 2-year $24 million deal (Michael Cuddyer is another option for this spot, but is coming off an injury)

Sign Andrew Miller to a 3-year $21 million deal

Pick up Gallardo's option and trade him to Boston for 3B Garin Cecchini. Throw in some cash if you need it to make the deal work.

Trade for INF Cliff Pennington from AZ. Would probably have to give up a modest prospect similar, but not quite as valuable, to what we did for Parra.

LaRoche provides left handed power. The left handed hitting Cecchini fills an organization hole. He may not be a big power guy, but he should get on base at a good rate. Pennington provides depth in the infield - and can take over if Segura falters again. Parra provides excellent OF depth and should get plenty of playing time as the lefty alternative to the three right handed hitting starting outfielders. Estrada provide depth if there's an injury to one of the starters (and Taylor Jungmann does not appear ready). Andrew Miller isn't a necessity, but he's a lights out reliever - something we lack. Plus, I had the money to spend, so I did.

The line up is balanced with three lefties (Scooter, LaRoche and Cecchini).

The total payroll is $100, so if you need to make some additions, you have a few million to play with. The bullpen is loaded with power arms and could really be dominant.

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C - Maldonado (1.0)

1B - LaRoche (12.0)

2B - Scooter (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

INF - Rogers (0.5) or some other 1b/3B who bats right handed to spell the left handed hitting corners

OF - Parra (6.0)

OF - Schafer (0.5)

Garza (12.5)

Lohse (11.0)

Nelson (0.5)

Fiers (0.5)

Peralta (0.5)

Broxton (9.0)

Jeffress (0.5)

Smith (0.5)

Thornburg (0.5)

Henderson (0.5)

Ariel Pena (0.5) - out of options so we lose him if he doesn't make the big league roster

Kintzler (1.0)

Estrada (4.0)

Miller (7.0)

(I've include 9 relievers, so a couple of these guys would need to head to AAA, assuming no one got hurt)

Moves

Sign LaRoche to a 2-year $24 million deal (Michael Cuddyer is another option for this spot, but is coming off an injury)

Pick up Gallardo's option and trade him to Boston for 3B Garin Cecchini. Throw in some cash if you need it to make the deal work.

Trade for INF Cliff Pennington from AZ. Would probably have to give up a modest prospect similar, but not quite as valuable, to what we did for Parra.

LaRoche provides left handed power. The left handed hitting Cecchini fills an organization hole. He may not be a big power guy, but he should get on base at a good rate. Pennington provides depth in the infield - and can take over if Segura falters again. Parra provides excellent OF depth and should get plenty of playing time as the lefty alternative to the three right handed hitting starting outfielders. Estrada provide depth if there's an injury to one of the starters (and Taylor Jungmann does not appear ready). Andrew Miller isn't a necessity, but he's a lights out reliever - something we lack. Plus, I had the money to spend, so I did.

The total payroll is $100, so if you need to make some additions, you have a few million to play with. The bullpen is loaded with power arms and could really be dominant.

I like the moves you made, but LaRoche is probably gonna cost more than 2/24 I'd think, especially with how 1B play is down across baseball.

-Pick up Gallardo's option and trade him for a good low-minors prospect and a bench INF/OF. I don't think he's better than Nelson, Peralta, or Fiers, to be honest

-Move Ryan Braun to 1B and let Parra be the everyday starter in RF. Free agent market at 1B is really poor.

-Sign Chase Headley to something like 3/$30M. He seems undervalued and should be Melvin's #1 priority this offseason.

-Sign a utility guy who can spot Scooter against LHP. Bonifacio would be perfect.

-Sign a cheap bench OF who is not a complete waste of space, like Nyjer Morgan (or Aoki?)

C - Lucroy

1B - Braun

2B - Gennett/Bonifacio

SS - Segura/Bonifacio

3B - Headley

LF - Davis

CF - Gomez

RF - Parra

C - Maldonado

IF/OF - Bonifacio

IF - Unknown (Gallardo trade)

OF - Morgan or Aoki

OF - Clark

SP - Garza

SP - Lohse

SP - Peralta

SP - Nelson

SP - Fiers

RP - Who cares they're already spending $9M on stupid Jonathan Broxton so going to need to go in-house for the rest.

Just curious if trading Lucroy for Giancarlo Stanton is considered reasonable before I post mine.

I'd say that if you go by advanced metrics it would be somewhat reasonable, but in the real world I don't think that would ever ever ever happen.

1. Pick up Gallardo's option and trade him for the best prospect package you can find.

2. Tender contracts to Parra and Estrada.

3. Sign Headley: 4yr/$42M deal ($9M/$10M/$11M/$12M)

4. Sign LaRoche: 2yr/$24M deal with a team option ($10M/$12M/$2M buyout)

5. Sign Bonifacio: 2yr/$10M to platoon with Gennett

6. Sign either Crain or Bailey: 1yr/$1.5M to provide some veteran depth since i don't have faith Thornburg and Henderson will be ready to start the season.

C - Lucroy (3.0)

1B - LaRoche (10.0)

2B - Scooter (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

3B - Headley (9.0)

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

C - Maldonado (1.0)

INF - Rogers (0.5)

INF - Gomez/Herrera (0.5)

OF - Bonifacio (5.0)

OF - Parra (6.0)

RP - Broxton (9.0), Jeffress (0.5), Smith (0.5), Duke (3.5), Crain/Bailey (1.5), Kintzler (1.0), Estrada (4.0)

Lineup - Gennett (L), Lucroy, Braun, LaRoche (L), Gomez, Headley (S), Davis, Segura, Pitcher

My roster comes in at $104M while providing a very balanced line up, solid rotation and good depth both on the bench and in the bullpen with Thornburg, Henderson, Blazek, Goforth and Wooten on standby in AAA. My only worry is that we will lose Pena via waivers since he is out of options. This also shores up the infield defense by replacing Ramirez and Reynolds/Overbay with Headley and LaRoche.

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C - Maldonado (1.0)

1B - LaRoche (12.0)

2B - Scooter (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

OF - Parra (6.0)

OF - Schafer (0.5)

Garza (12.5)

Lohse (11.0)

Nelson (0.5)

Fiers (0.5)

Peralta (0.5)

Broxton (9.0)

Jeffress (0.5)

Smith (0.5)

Thornburg (0.5)

Henderson (0.5)

Kintzler (1.0)

Estrada (4.0)

Miller (7.0)

Moves

I like the idea of trading for Cecchini who likely will be made available if Boston signs Sandoval/Headley. This move keeps payroll down and creates some space in 2016 when Peralta, Fiers, Davis, Segura, Thornburg and Jeffress all hit arbitration.

C - Lucroy (3.0)

C - Maldonado (1.0)

1B - LaRoche (12.0)

2B - Scooter (0.5)

SS - Segura (0.5)

LF - Davis (0.5)

CF - Gomez (8.0)

OF - Parra (6.0)

OF - Schafer (0.5)

Garza (12.5)

Lohse (11.0)

Nelson (0.5)

Fiers (0.5)

Peralta (0.5)

Broxton (9.0)

Jeffress (0.5)

Smith (0.5)

Thornburg (0.5)

Henderson (0.5)

Kintzler (1.0)

Estrada (4.0)

Miller (7.0)

Moves

I like the idea of trading for Cecchini who likely will be made available if Boston signs Sandoval/Headley. This move keeps payroll down and creates some space in 2016 when Peralta, Fiers, Davis, Segura, Thornburg and Jeffress all hit arbitration.

I've read that Boston is very interested in Sandoval. They are not totally sold on Cecchini because he's not likely to provide the power they desire from the position. And Cecchini did okay last year at AAA (.713 OPS) after putting ups a .915 OPS in 2013 between A+ and AA. After the struggles of several rookies in 2014 that Boston was counting on, the team is a little gun shy about giving a key spot to another rookie in 2015. Boston needs 3B to produce - and Sandoval would provide a much safer option.

I've read that Boston is very interested in Sandoval. They are not totally sold on Cecchini because he's not likely to provide the power they desire from the position. And Cecchini did okay last year at AAA (.713 OPS) after putting ups a .915 OPS in 2013 between A+ and AA. After the struggles of several rookies in 2014 that Boston was counting on, the team is a little gun shy about giving a key spot to another rookie in 2015. Boston needs 3B to produce - and Sandoval would provide a much safer option.

This works in the Brewers favor since they are already getting above average offensive production from both CF and C.

Archived