Brewer Fanatic

Gomez should be trade bait

rickh150
Somewhere in the back of my head I could see the Red Sox offer up Bradley/Middlebrooks and a pitcher for Gomez.

I don't think the Red Sox would trade for Gomez since they just signed Castillo who also plays CF. Also their OF is already overstocked when you add in Cespedes, Victorino, Betts, Bradley, Nava and Craig.

Is Austin Jackson a non-tender candidate for Seattle? He's going into his last year of arbitration and made $6MM last year. He's a career 101 OPS+, the definition of average and his defense looks a above average. Would Seattle give up one of their pitching prospects for Gomez?

This is an interesting option. The Mariners are said to be in the market for two right handed power hitters. Gomez would fit in great roaming CF at Safeco Park while the Brewers have a decent pool of corner infielders (Peterson/Kivlehan) and pitchers (Paxton/Diaz/Gohara/Pike/Hultzen) to choose from. Would a package of Peterson, Paxton and a mid-level prospect be a fair price for two years of GoGo?

Austin Jackson??? Please. The guy had a .527 OPS last year.

I don't think the Brewers can afford to deal Gomez. As frustrating as he is at times especially on the bases, he's their number one offensive weapon Lucroy notwithstanding. They'd really miss that production not to mention his defensive prowess. If we knew Braun would return to his previous form, and they made serious upgrades at 1B and 3B, yeah then he'd be expendable but certainly not now if they have any intention of competing next year.

• 4 weeks later...

http://sodomojo.com/2014/11/20/fs-faux-winter-meetings-blockbuster-seattle-mariners-trade-carlos-gomez-milwaukee/

I think I would do this trade. But I would also ask for Danny Farquhar to go along with it, even if we have to throw in something else.

Vs. LHP

1. A. Jackson- CF

2. Lucroy- C

3. Braun- RF

4. Ramirez- 3B

5. Davis- LF

6. Rogers/Halton- 1B

7. Gennett or RH 2B

8. Segura

Vs. RHP

1. Jackson

2. Gennett

3. Lucroy

4. Braun

5. Lind

6. Ramirez

7. Parra

8. Segura

Rotation:

1. Garza (trade bait)

2. Lohse (trade bait)

3. Gallardo (trade bait)

4. Peralta

5. Walker

6. Fiers

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd do that move honestly. DJ Peterson is the best piece in the deal. 1b/3b to plug likely to begin in 2016. Walker Would make the team make a move with Lohse/Gallardo/Peralta or Nelson. Jackson is the CF bridge the team would need to make it through 2015. With hopes Taylor can be ready to begin 2016. Walker is a legit top of the rotation potential that the team desperately needs.

This kind of deal is the reason Gomez should be traded. There are 2 definite ML plugs to fill your roster for 1 who plugs CF. I'll take 2 for 5+seasons over 1 for 2 seasons.

People are down on Jackson but isn't he a guy that lead the AL in BA 2 or 3 seasons ago? Or pretty close? He's a BABIP guy. One that had been worth over 4WAR in other years. Guy really messed up by sticking year to year vs ever signing an extension after his original breakouts. Let's say he has a 2012 year in 2015...You'd consider offering him a QO no? 5WAR CFs at the age of 28? Moving him to a hitters park maybe he cranks 12-15HRs helping add value.

Oh and no he hit .300 in 2012 did carry a .322 avg at the 109th game in to the season.

I'd make that move in an instant but obviously it would have to be accompanied by a move to free up a spot for Walker. A rotation built around Walker, Peralta and Nelson would be exciting to watch over the next few years.

BUT it goes completely against Melvin's MO and as frustrating as it is to keep saying I would be shocked if he moved Gomez this year.

You don't spend an extra $10 million to keep a declining 36-37 year old Ramirez and then go trade arguably your best player for untested ones. Maybe in July if you are 20 games under .500 you do but not now.

You do realize that Jackson has a higher WAR than Gomez through age 27? I'd expect 3WAR from him. With him still having the upside to be 5-6WAR as was the case in his early years. So basically looking at a 1WAR dropoff on expectations. 2-3WAR dropoff on Best of seasons between the two.

Meanwhile you have what looks to be a 4WAR or more 1b/3b coming to your high minors. And a SP with Ace potential. If Seattle were to make that offer regardless where your team stands/appears to be with your moves prior to that trade offer, You take it. You're getting the better end of the deal. And I like most would think you make Lohse/Gallardo or even Peralta/Nelson available in trade to upgrade another position.

Could you pry Daniel Murphy from the Mets for say Gennett and Nelson? Making up for the loss of Gomez with the added 2b skills?

and For those who are going to argue great for 2015 not for 2016. Arcia or Segura will end up playing 2b in 2016 with the move. Rivera being the utility backup to both.

Murphy is certainly a quality everyday 2b whereas many argue Gennett would be terrible facing leftys.

Note:Murphy vs Leftys last season: .695OPS But vs. LH SP: .839OPS Which again I argue that Gennett vs. LH SP would be fine.

Murphy vs LH RPs: 44PAs 6-39 .153/.214/.153=.367OPS

If Murphy sat vs LH SPs and only had appearances vs. LH relievers. He'd be a Platoon only 2b right? You would never want to have a guy who hit .367OPS vs Lefties start against them correct? Ignoring good hitters getting better the more times they see a pitcher? .839OPS vs LH Starters in 25games started.

What about Gomez for J. Zimmerman straight up. With yo and lohse and Ramirez gone after this year we throw big money at jz

Why? If our plan was to throw big money at Zimmermann, it would make sense to have Gomez (at least for a year) as well, right?

• 4 weeks later...

The Seattle Mariners are reportedly on the verge of this (per MLB Trade Rumors)...

Mariners Closing In On Trade For Hitter

By Steve Adams

7:29pm: Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times tweets that he thinks the Mariners will announce a trade within the next two to three days. Crasnick tweets that his sense is that it’s a right-handed hitter who hasn’t been mentioned in much previous speculation, which would rule out Upton.

4:44pm: The Mariners are closing in on a deal to acquire another bat, reports ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter).

It’s unclear at this time what hitter they’re targeting in this deal, but the Mariners have been linked to Justin Upton in their search for a right field bat and are said to be in the market for a right fielder even after signing Nelson Cruz. Seattle has also been linked to Dayan Viciedo of the White Sox and Ian Desmond of the Nationals in recent weeks. I’d imagine that Marlon Byrd could make sense for Seattle as well, and he’s certainly known to be available in trade talks with the Phillies.

Any guesses on who this could be?... Gomez?... Krush?... Braun? As much as I think Seattle is ripe for a huge overpay right now, I don't think there is any chance the Brewers would do it.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Seattle Mariners are reportedly on the verge of this (per MLB Trade Rumors)...

By Steve Adams

7:29pm: Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times tweets that he thinks the Mariners will announce a trade within the next two to three days. Crasnick tweets that his sense is that it’s a right-handed hitter who hasn’t been mentioned in much previous speculation, which would rule out Upton.

4:44pm: The Mariners are closing in on a deal to acquire another bat, reports ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter).

It’s unclear at this time what hitter they’re targeting in this deal, but the Mariners have been linked to Justin Upton in their search for a right field bat and are said to be in the market for a right fielder even after signing Nelson Cruz. Seattle has also been linked to Dayan Viciedo of the White Sox and Ian Desmond of the Nationals in recent weeks. I’d imagine that Marlon Byrd could make sense for Seattle as well, and he’s certainly known to be available in trade talks with the Phillies.

Any guesses on who this could be?... Gomez?... Braun? As much as I think Seattle is ripe for a huge overpay right now, I don't think there is any chance the Brewers would do it.

I thought of this thread when I saw that on MLBTR as well. Like you, I don't think there's any chance the Brewers would do it but I did think about this for a second.

By Steve Adams

Any guesses on who this could be?... Gomez?... Krush?... Braun? As much as I think Seattle is ripe for a huge overpay right now, I don't think there is any chance the Brewers would do it.

I have even less hope that Gomez is involved than I do for us to sign Max Scherzer...which is negligible to nonexistent.

• 4 months later...

Could the Nationals part with Lucas Giolito for Carlos Gomez should they remain down 1 OF? Werth/Span now but the always tough to keep healthy Harper. Or say newly added prospect Michael Taylor has a midseason slump due to pitchers finding his weakness not yet found?

Hear it out. What if Milw took Denard Span's contract swapping equal money essentially for taken on Gomez's. Why consider this? Washington is on the cusp of losing Zimmerman and Fister in their rotation. Pretty much gives the impression World Series win or bust feel. The Nats look to have AJ Cole to likely add to their rotation next season to replace 1 of them. So they can afford to trade away Giolito for an offensive force like Gomez could be to that team. They've had Taylor, Yunel Escobar and Ian Desmond basically as their top two in the batting order. One can guess Rendon if he returns slides back in to the #2 spot but Ryan Zimmerman hasn't been the batter he once was and may be sliding himself to a #6 in the order with Rendon/Harper/Werth 3-5.

What if Milwaukee's GM got creative and added Lucroy to the trade? Asking for Taylor in return while taking Ramos from them? The club could immediately flip Span somewhere else if need be. Keep Ramos as their catcher through arb and have Taylor in CF with an actual legit top of the rotation SP in the system. Washingon meanwhile looks like an All-Star team up and down their entire starting 13. Would that be a deal worthwhile doing or is some side getting the better end of the bargain?

Could the Nationals part with Lucas Giolito for Carlos Gomez should they remain down 1 OF? Werth/Span now but the always tough to keep healthy Harper. Or say newly added prospect Michael Taylor has a midseason slump due to pitchers finding his weakness not yet found?

Hear it out. What if Milw took Denard Span's contract swapping equal money essentially for taken on Gomez's. Why consider this? Washington is on the cusp of losing Zimmerman and Fister in their rotation. Pretty much gives the impression World Series win or bust feel. The Nats look to have AJ Cole to likely add to their rotation next season to replace 1 of them. So they can afford to trade away Giolito for an offensive force like Gomez could be to that team. They've had Taylor, Yunel Escobar and Ian Desmond basically as their top two in the batting order. One can guess Rendon if he returns slides back in to the #2 spot but Ryan Zimmerman hasn't been the batter he once was and may be sliding himself to a #6 in the order with Rendon/Harper/Werth 3-5.

What if Milwaukee's GM got creative and added Lucroy to the trade? Asking for Taylor in return while taking Ramos from them? The club could immediately flip Span somewhere else if need be. Keep Ramos as their catcher through arb and have Taylor in CF with an actual legit top of the rotation SP in the system. Washingon meanwhile looks like an All-Star team up and down their entire starting 13. Would that be a deal worthwhile doing or is some side getting the better end of the bargain?

Denard Span is actually a pretty good player, so while Gomez is an upgrade I'm not sure if there's enough of an incentive for the Nats to trade Giolito. Lucroy would seemingly be much more attractive to them, and it would be down to how other teams view Lucroy (an interesting question given his superb advanced metrics) as to whether he is worthy of a Giolito-level prospect.

I would trade Lucroy for Giolito though, definitely.

What on earth makes you think Melvin or Attanasio is that creative? Heck, lets just add a veteran 3rd baseman via trade and go for it again next year!

As someone that follows Minor league baseball. If we would get Giolito/Taylor for Gomez/Lohse i would be extremely excited. Taylor is very good hitter with speed. I can see him being a .280 20/20 guy next year. Giolito is hurt, but Very, very talented.

There's no reason for Washington to take Lohse they have a better starting 5....Now, if one would go down for the season. There's the opening.

One thing that would be nice is if Broxton got his act together and pitched really well until the deadline. We could then hypothetically add him to a trade with Gomez and eat most or all of the money Broxton is making the rest of the year given it's a sunk cost anyways. Contending teams are often looking for productive relievers at the deadline.

Archived