Brewer Fanatic

Revisiting Power 50 History - Escobar and Cain

Mass Haas

Yes, we know the Brewerfan Power 50 was a very fun feature for many back in the day, as real life intervened for the Brewerfan minor league gurus, we had to drop the feature from regular rotation.

We still pride ourselves on Brewerfan's year-round minor league coverage, including the Link Report, and we're fortunate our Brewerfan buddy Brad Krause is one of the editors at the sweet site Miller Park Prospects. And our poster reillymcshane coordinated and produced our community-generated prospect rankings.

But we still have Power 50 history records from the archives, and it's pretty cool (at least I think so) to re-visit the Power 50 notations all-time for Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain, and see how illuminating the notations were.

Enjoy.

Do you still have them for Michael Brantley, too, MH? I know they're not relevant to the playoffs right now, but I'd love to see what was expected of Brantley. In a cruel twist of fate, we'd already sent three players to Cleveland when we got CC Sabathia for those 17 starts. Brantley was the player to be named later. The Indians knocked that one out of the park.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

It's awesome that Brantley broke out six years after being traded, but I'll take the memories of CC and the summer of 2008 myself. He would've been a nice fourth outfielder from 2010-13 I guess.

Same with Lo Cain. I always enjoyed following both players coming up but they were moved because the outfield was full so that depth was traded for areas that were lacking. I believe we won the division with Greinke in 2011.

I'm also happy it was Brantley that went to Cleveland because Lucroy was one of the other PTBNL candidates and that would have been a true loss.

It's awesome that Brantley broke out six years after being traded, but I'll take the memories of CC and the summer of 2008 myself. He would've been a nice fourth outfielder from 2010-13 I guess.

Same with Lo Cain. I always enjoyed following both players coming up but they were moved because the outfield was full so that depth was traded for areas that were lacking. I believe we won the division with Greinke in 2011.

I'm also happy it was Brantley that went to Cleveland because Lucroy was one of the other PTBNL candidates and that would have been a true loss.

I believe it was Brantley if we made the playoffs and Taylor Green if we failed to do so. I don't think Lucroy was one of the options for the Indians.

Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but how nice would it have been to give them Angel Salome(whom they really wanted) to complete the trade as opposed to a PTBNL who ended up being Brantley?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

http://www.baseballintheblood.com/?p=1162

BitB: Michael was in the Brewers organization then, and he wound up as the Player to be Named Later in the CC Sabathia trade, tell me about that…

Josh: “The deal was, if the Brewers missed the playoffs, the Player to be Named would be Taylor Green, who is another one of my guys, and if the Brewers made the playoffs, it was Michael Brantley. The Brewers made it, and Michael has really blossomed in Cleveland. The Brewers got what they wanted at the time, but I’m sure they wish they had Michael back.”

I remember at the time it was thought the Indians had their choice of four different players and they were just taking their time to evaluate through the end of the season.

Archived