Brewer Fanatic

No 2015 contracts for Johnny Narron and Garth Iorg

sauveb

Late to the party here, but....

I wanted Narron gone. The offensive collapse falls on him. The hitting wasn't good most of the 2nd half and became totally horrid the last 1.5 months of the season. Hitters continually failed to make adjustments. I'm not convinced any hitters truly got any better under his watch. Those are enough reasons for me. Braun's thumb injury is an issue but independent of the coaching.

Garth Iorg has one of the coolest names in baseball, but I'm guessing he's gone because the IF defense wasn't good enough and that was his domain besides his role as 1B coach, which itself doesn't seem to involve much that can be screwed up.

The bullpen had some issues for a while due to wearing down, but that's not Tunnell's fault. And the pitching overall, esp. the starters (except Estrada while he was in the rotation and Nelson), was pretty darn respectable -- so no reason to can Kranitz.

I don't believe that Sedar is this generation's version of Larry Haney -- who, along with Andy Etchebarren, indeed was Harry Dalton's eyes/ears in the clubhouse per reports at the time he was fired in Bando's post-Trebelhorn housecleaning.

I'm not sure Jerry Narron did anything that merits firing. Ditto Shelby (OF defensive positioning was, I believe, a strength) or Mike Guerrero.

I like that Roenicke is staying. I think he's done far more good than bad (in spite of the oft-stated opinions on this board that he does everything wrong/stupid and isn't adequate at a single thing he does), he has something to prove, plus he's got a hot seat under him if things go poorly. . . . And I think Melvin's one of baseball's best GMs, realizes the flaws of the current roster and its construction AND his role in that, and is quite capable of having a solid plan to fix the team's weaknesses.

I agree big-time with the notion that the new coaches should be at least somewhat if not substantially younger. While he well could be back in MN depending on who's hired as manager, I'd love to see Tom Brunansky as the new hitting coach. The Twins' young hitters raved about his work with them while in the minors (previously) and their continued success in MN under him are two salient points in his favor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived