Brewer Fanatic

Twins Fire Ron Gardenhire

sheetskout

Why would anyone want Gardenhire over RR? Gardenhire never did anything in the playoffs in MN and has lost 90 games 4 years in a row. Gardenhire would be an extremely blah pick to me. I fail to see how he would be an improvement and he has never coached in the NL. Just because he and Washington are big names doesn't mean they are any better than what we have now. Gardenhire was given some really good teams at MIN and made it to the ALCS only once and never even made the world series.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Gardenhire looks like a Wisconsin guy. The guy serving fish at the church fish fry or the guy sitting in the corner bar having a beer.

Gardenhire's managerial skills aside, the Twins have given him terrible teams over the past few years. When a guy like Nick Blackburn is your ace, you're in trouble.

Not sure what qualifies Molitor as a manager.

What qualifies anybody? Considering how many terrible managers there are in MLB, including some that are in the playoffs, I can't justify discounting someone just because he hasn't paid his dues or whatever.

League reactions to Gardenhire's dismissal:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/09/reactions-to-and-fallout-from-ron-gardenhires-dismissal.html

The article notes that Molitor would "possibly" have an interest in the Twins job.

"Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports feels that Gardenhire should’ve been given a chance to oversee the next wave of young talent in the Twins organization, but he’s not surprised to see the team seek a new voice following another 90-loss season. He notes that Gardenhire could immediately pursue another managerial job, with current openings with the D’Backs, Rangers and Astros. He also notes that it’s possible the Brewers will fire Ron Roenicke, so Gardenhire could fit there also."

Why would anyone want Gardenhire over RR? Gardenhire never did anything in the playoffs in MN and has lost 90 games 4 years in a row. Gardenhire would be an extremely blah pick to me. I fail to see how he would be an improvement and he has never coached in the NL. Just because he and Washington are big names doesn't mean they are any better than what we have now. Gardenhire was given some really good teams at MIN and made it to the ALCS only once and never even made the world series.

Let's look at his playoff record:

2002 lost to Eventual WS champs 4games to 1.

2003 Swept by WS runner up and payroll inflated Yankees 4-0

2004 Lost 3-1 to Yankees again

2006 Swept by Oakland a Series you could actually believe they should have been the favorites finally.

2009 No surprise here Swept vs a 103win Yankee team being an 87win playoff team. How about the fact the Twins even made the Postseason with their rotation that year? Nick Blackburn, Scott Baker, Francisco Liriano sporting a 5.8ERA, Glen Perkins/Kevin Slowey/Carl Pavano/ and Anthony Swarzak!

2010 Once again swept by Yankees Let's see Sabathia in Prime vs Liriano? Pettite vs. Pavano? Brian Duensing vs. Phil Hughes? Nevermind the 180+Million payroll of batters the Yankees likely had. Jeter/ARod/Texiera/Cano/Granderson

In the article I read on ESPN Brian Dozier gave him praise and wanted him back 100% calling him the greatest baseball mind he's encountered.

Yes they've had some "Teams" but they just never had a Rotation that was worthy to set them up to win Series vs. better teams. Small Marketed out of the Playoffs. His best chances with Santana was still during the live ball Read Steroids era/end of it.

And his recent teams? Flat out no pitching. Blame it on their development in the minors I suppose or their drafting. But he hasn't been given a team built to contend like Roenicke has.

This is the chance to pounce before other teams like Arizona nab him.

Not sure what qualifies Molitor as a manager.

I've always thought that Selig, in not signing Molitor in free agency, exploited the situation primarily to illustrate how a small market team couldn't keep one of its best, core players.

That may be right, but I think Sal Bando's ego, incompetence, and flat-out lack of smarts played a larger role.

If you made a list of the people, over the history of the Brewers' franchise, who did the most harm to the team, is anybody else even in Bando's area code? The only other serious contender is Selig, and I feel like he gets a pass for getting the team here to begin with. Sal Bando just signed a big contract, gave us two excellent years as a player and two lousy ones, and then did everything he could to destroy the team from the front office.

Sorry . . .

Oh, Molitor as manager. Right. What qualifies him? Fair question, except that I'm not sure what qualifies anybody. He's been coaching for quite a while, he seems unusually smart for a baseball guy, he appears to know how to deal with people, his success as a player testifies at least to his competitive drive. I think he's the kind of guy you interview and try to figure out if he has a feel for what managers are supposed to do.

I think the implication of your question is, "Wouldn't we just be bringing him back because he's a beloved former player, and isn't that a bad reason to hire a guy as manager?" I do think that would be a bad reason, but I can easily imagine there might be good reasons to give him a shot.

Fundamentals to me just screams crap load of small ball, which would infuriate me.

Uh, haven't you seen enough of a fundamental-less team? In case you missed the past two months, it's why were sitting at home this postseason.

I'd love Gardy in Milwaukee.

Fundamentals to me just screams crap load of small ball, which would infuriate me.

Uh, haven't you seen enough of a fundamental-less team? In case you missed the past two months, it's why were sitting at home this postseason.

Like Ken Macha?

Haven't the Twins always been an organization known for strong fundamentals? It'd be nice to have that in Milwaukee for a change. However, I'd pass on Gardenhire.

Several ex-Twins have criticized the team's coaching staff for their hitting instruction. J.J. Hardy, for example, said the Twins were dead-set on their players hitting to the opposite field, even if that tactic strays from a player's strengths. When he got to Baltimore, "....[baltimore hitting coach Jim] Presley's approach was 'I want you to drive the ball. I want you to hit homers. I want you to do what you did in '07 and '08 with Milwaukee.'"

Hardy hit 30 homers for Baltimore that year.

Id be ok with Gardy. I live in Western Wisconsin and somewhat follow the Twins. It was time for a change there, but Gardy didn't pick the players. I thought he got about what he could have...maybe playing a SS in CF all year was odd, but other than that, he didn't hurt the Twins at all.

We're sitting at home because nobody got on base and stupid running mistakes. One could argue that's fundamentals but stupid running mistakes stop with a manager who says stop running.

We're sitting at home because nobody got on base and stupid running mistakes. One could argue that's fundamentals but stupid running mistakes stop with a manager who says stop running.

One wouldn't argue that "that's fundamentals." That IS fundamentals. I for one would welcome a shift away from the HR to a more traditional NL-style club. From what I've read today he also had the utmost respect from his players during his long tenure.

Archived