Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to pick up Gallardo's 2015 option

Invader3K

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Brewers are not legit World Series contenders there is no reason to pay a pitcher that kind of money, especially for a year. Hopefully they are just signing him in order to trade him, he could bring back a prospect
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

If the Brewers are not legit World Series contenders there is no reason to pay a pitcher that kind of money, especially for a year. Hopefully they are just signing him in order to trade him, he could bring back a prospect

Why do they have to decide now if they're World Series contenders. Wait mid season and if the Brewers stink, flip him for prospects. Lackey had a 3.6 ERA before he was traded, and Yo finished with a 3.5 ERA - I'm sure someone would want him.

didnt heyman say the brewers were picking up Rami'z option only to get shot down? is there an actual statement from the front office this has happened?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

No surprise there. That is one of Mark A's favorite hobbies: overpaying aging pitchers...

He's still only 28 years old.

he's clearly 8 years too old

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

didnt heyman say the brewers were picking up Rami'z option only to get shot down? is there an actual statement from the front office this has happened?

Melvin said at the time that he and Attanasio hadn't even talked about Ramirez yet.

The Gallardo story is more believable though. Some people still seem to be thinking about player salaries and team budgets as if it were 2005. $13 million for a #2/3 type of starter like Gallardo is basically a bargain these days. ERA around 3.50, WHIP just under 1.3. He's not an ace, but you would think he was Jeff Suppan the way some in this thread are talking.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I agree with you on that, and I do think that they will exercise the option

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Why do they have to decide now if they're World Series contenders. Wait mid season and if the Brewers stink, flip him for prospects. Lackey had a 3.6 ERA before he was traded, and Yo finished with a 3.5 ERA - I'm sure someone would want him.

You get much less if you wait. Off season and the team trading for him can get a draft pick. Not the case once the season starts.

Melvin said at the time that he and Attanasio hadn't even talked about Ramirez yet.

Does anyone really believe that would be true?

I do. I'm not sure what the deadline would be to exercise it, but I don't think they'd be in a huge rush.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

But to think they haven't even discussed it seems a bit odd...

They better be thinking about next season already, if they truly haven't had a single discussion about their 3B for 2015, I would find that a little negligent...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

But to think they haven't even discussed it seems a bit odd...

They better be thinking about next season already, if they truly haven't had a single discussion about their 3B for 2015, I would find that a little negligent...

I believe the Brewers already know they want to exercise their option but I have a feeling Ramirez has no idea if he wants to accept his portion of the option. I believe Ramirez was quoted as saying he was going to speak with his agent at the end of the season and he would decide then. So it doesn't really matter what the Brewers do or don't do right now. In the end the Brewers will exercise their end of the option and Ramirez will reject his and become a FA. I fully expect the Brewers to offer Aramis a QO and for him to reject that QO.

In order for Aramis to be the Brewers 3B next year the Brewers are going to have to give him a multi year extension between 2-3 years. I believe the Brewers are waiting for Ramirez to decide on what he wants does he want to do in terms of how long he wants to play and where he wants to play. I wouldn't be surprised to see Aramis in a different uniform next year because of the Brewers not wanting to give him more than 1 more year.

I've said all along that this is a no-brainer. Yo had a very good season and will be paid below market rate. The only question is do the Brewers feel comfortable enough with Fiers and Nelson to be willing to trade either Lohse or Gallardo? Yo could possibly net us a first baseman.

Of course, we could deal Gomez or Parra to try to land a 1b

Personally, I'm not comfortable with Nelson, it appears he is not even close to being a MLB starting pitcher yet.

2 pitches won't make a very successful pitcher in the big leagues, he is going to have to work on another pitch, or possibly be ready to accept a role in the bull pen.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Personally, I'm not comfortable with Nelson, it appears he is not even close to being a MLB starting pitcher yet.

2 pitches won't make a very successful pitcher in the big leagues, he is going to have to work on another pitch, or possibly be ready to accept a role in the bull pen.

No way, The way people on here talk about Jimmy Nelson I thought he was Walter Johnson.

Nelson will be fine. He's a talented guy who, like many mortal pitchers, has to make adjustments as he advances. Remember Peralta's first season?

I agree that picking up Yo's option was obviously the right move. At 1/13, he's a valuable asset.

I think we need to explore trades for our three vet starters. We should pencil in Peralta, Fiers, and Nelson; assume that Jungmann can fill the #7 slot; and carefully assess where Thornburgh is in his recovery. Definitely one and maybe two of the vets should go. Young, cost-controlled starting pitching is a huge part of this team's future.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I agree that picking up Yo's option was obviously the right move. At 1/13, he's a valuable asset.

I think we need to explore trades for our three vet starters. We should pencil in Peralta, Fiers, and Nelson; assume that Jungmann can fill the #7 slot; and carefully assess where Thornburgh is in his recovery. Definitely one and maybe two of the vets should go. Young, cost-controlled starting pitching is a huge part of this team's future.

While many agree with this (as do I), with Melvin coming back, I just don't see this as something the team will explore, unless it's July of next year, and the team falls well behind the pack.

I kind of feel like this is a silly question, and I'm guessing the answer would be no, but I'm just throwing it out there. I notice the $14M option would be about the same as a qualifying offer, if I'm correct. Could the Brewers decline to exercise their portion of the option but then make a qualifying offer at about the same price to put themselves in line for draft compensation if Ramirez should choose to decline?

1) In order to trade him, he needs to be under contract.

B) Why would the Brewers let someone like Gallardo go without getting anything in return for him? He's only 28 years old and has never had any arm trouble in his career.

Gallardo is extremely underrated by a lot of Brewer fans, probably because he never turned out to be an ace. "Gallardo isn't a true ace" is probably the most obnoxious thing I've heard repeatedly over the last 5 years or so. That's true, but who cares? He's still a very good pitcher. He finished with a 3.5 ERA this year - which is the lowest he's ever had in a full season with the Brewers, by the way. 3.5 ERA pitchers aren't that easy to find, you know.

Archived