Brewer Fanatic

3B in 2015 if A-Ram not re-signed

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has got to be Headley or Ramirez right? I don't really see many other good options out there unless there is a trade. hardballtalk said a contract of 3/36 would be reasonable for Headley and 2/25 for Ramirez. If I had to pick between those two contracts I probably would take Headley although Ramirez is probably the better player (And also much more likely to miss significant time)

I totally agree that it's worth putting a claim on the guy. 3B is a such a black hole right now, and I prefer that the team fill that with young (and cheap) talent that has a modicum of upside instead of aging retreads.

Another guy I'd look to grab is Matt Davidson, who the White Sox got from Arizona last year and was a top 100 prospect. Davidson had a terrible 2014 (hit .199 at AAA). But prior to 2014, most predicted he'd be the starting 3B in Chicago - a guy who could hit .250-.260 with 20 HR. Get guys like this when they are cheap and try and kickstart their careers.

I like Garin Cecchini of Boston, but he'll cost something more (I've suggest Gallardo). He wasn't great in 2014, but not terrible like Vitters and Davidson.

Regarding Vitters, his inability to take walks is brutal. I wouldn't be surprised if Yuni had a better walk rate. That makes it tough to have success at the big league level. But then, what's the hurt to give the guy a try.

What about trading for Mike Olt? He likely wouldn't cost much (Gagnon or Pena) and the Cubs already have Valbuena with Bryant close behind. Olt has struggled ever since being traded to Chicago. A change of scenery might help him get back on track.

What about picking up Kelly Johnson and Jed Lowrie?

Against LHP - 3B - Lowrie, SS - Segura, 2B - ? (Weeks for cheap or their last utility guy)

OR

3B - Jimenez if you believe he will have OK splits, SS - Segura, 2B - Lowrie

Against RHP - 3B - Johnson, SS - Lowrie (with Segura mixed in), 2B - Gennett

I think you could take Aramis' money and go buy 3 platoon guys that are lefties/switch. 2 of them that play 2B/SS/3B and one that is a 1B/OF guy. Either LaRoche at 1B (more expensive) or ask the Dodgers to give Ethier away for the right to only pay 10% of his contract and try to buy low there.

What about picking up Kelly Johnson and Jed Lowrie?

Against LHP - 3B - Lowrie, SS - Segura, 2B - ? (Weeks for cheap or their last utility guy)

OR

3B - Jimenez if you believe he will have OK splits, SS - Segura, 2B - Lowrie

Against RHP - 3B - Johnson, SS - Lowrie (with Segura mixed in), 2B - Gennett

I think you could take Aramis' money and go buy 3 platoon guys that are lefties/switch. 2 of them that play 2B/SS/3B and one that is a 1B/OF guy. Either LaRoche at 1B (more expensive) or ask the Dodgers to give Ethier away for the right to only pay 10% of his contract and try to buy low there.

This idea is a nice way to work it if you think the market value for guys is way too high, which it really could be. I really hope we at least give Rogers a shot to be the backup at 3B/1B because I think that guy can hit and give us a power RH bat either on our bench or eventually in our lineup. The same can be said about Clark as well. I feel that guy can be a backup 1B/OF that gives us some pop on the left side with his bat.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Lowrie will get more than some here think. I think Lowrie could cost $10 million which means it is going to cost the same to have Lowrie or Ramirez and with Ramirez it is just one year.

Totally agree. MLB trade rumors just did a free agent profile on Lowrie. They predict 3-years/$30 million, so your $10 million a year prediction is right with them.

I was thinking a bit lower - more like $8-9 million a year for three years. But it only takes one team to jack up the price.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What about trading for Mike Olt? He likely wouldn't cost much (Gagnon or Pena) and the Cubs already have Valbuena with Bryant close behind. Olt has struggled ever since being traded to Chicago. A change of scenery might help him get back on track.

I'd consider giving Olt a chance, but he's looked awful, both at AAA and the majors.

But again, if you can get him next to nothing, I'm not adverse to seeing if the club can turn him around. He was a top 50 prospect just a few years ago. The talent is there - just trying to harness it has been the issue.

If we were really in it to win it, I'd still consider making Lowrie my "big ticket" free agent for this offseason if we have one.

I think having a guy that can platoon at SS and 2B is huge.

This is an oddly constructed roster where we do not have a superstar at several positions, but I don't see how we're going to upgrade at a particular position this year.

Example: you can't displace Davis. I'd maybe bring another LH bat in to platoon more with him, but I don't know how you'd improve for him. Scooter is fine at the 2B platoon for cheap. In the rotation, I don't know if there is anything attainable that is "better" than what we have 1-5. Obviously guys like Scherzer are out and modest upgrades are going to be overpriced.

Long story short, I'd pay Lowrie 3/27 maybe. If you want to win this year, take more of Segura's responsibility away. He can be the platoon-mate at SS/2B. Also bring in Kelly Johnson as he'd be cheaper.

I'd then see something like that.

C - Luc/Maldonado. Luc plays 1B off and on.

1B - Kelly Johnson/Jimenez/Lucroy/Matt Clark/? - doubtful, but Aramis and Braun in play there.

2B - Gennett/Segura/Lowrie

3B - A-Ram/Johnson/Lowrie

SS - Lowrie/Segura (I know his splits weren't even great against LHP, but give him some AB vs. LHP and crappy RHP).

LF - Davis/Parra

CF - Gomez/Parra

RF - Braun/Parra

5th OF - Clark

This is a bit hand-wavy, but if LaRoche isn't in play, I want to have a lot of platoon options. Let Parra play 4 days a week in the outfield. Twice for Davis against tough righties and work him in a bit for Gomez and Braun for rest.

I'd love to trot Gennett, Johnson, Parra, Lowrie, and maybe Matt Clark if we think he's a long-term bench piece against Mat Latos or Lance Lynn. No more of this 7-8 RH batter stuff against those teams.

I guess one downfall of this is that if Segura doesn't improve, your platoon-mate for Scooter is Segura, who is almost as bad as just letting Scooter hit every day.

Looks like the Angels are looking to trade either Kendrick or Freese for pitching. I wonder what they would want in return. Would they take Lohse in return? In all honesty, they can clear more payroll space and get a better return by trading Kendrick instead with such a weak 2B free agent class and so many teams looking to contend in 2015 that need one (Nationals, Blue Jays, Orioles, Yankees and A's).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/angels-likely-to-trade-kendrick-or-freese.html

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/buster-olney/post/_/id/8223

Could Brewers add Donaldson at 3rd for Davis/Fiers?

Davis and Donaldson both lack some defensive skill...

A's looking for another power bat in OF after trading Cespedes

Both have appox. 4 years left...

Brewers need a 3B.....

Big bat with decent OBP

Ramirez could move to 1st and Parra to LF

Nelson is the 5

If we're looking to tweak the line-up and not do a overhaul, I'm for this.

Lineup changes....

Get Gennett and Braun in spots they both feel comfortable in. Gennett is a leadoff hitter that can make decent contact. Braun isn't the power threat any more so don't put him in the 3 (why RR put him in the 5, I don't know- extra pressure to hit for power, ya think?) Gomez can bat 3rd and is told to put on the brakes, and go base to base, because he plays too dumb to know better (definitely not leadoff). Clark could spell Ramirez at 1st, easing him into the position/leagure. Young Donaldson could be a MVP type player when healthy. Luc in the 6th takes some pressure off of him too. Remember he was an afterthought (8th hitter) in 2011. Gold glover batting 7th and a rejuvenated Segura at 8 to start season.

Gennett

Braun

Gomez

Ramirez

Donaldson

Lucroy

Parra

Segura

A's and Brewers coming off similar seasons..... could really help each other.

The acquisition of Lind got me thinking that Davis could be expendable. Clark has played some LF, and he may be fully capable of putting up similar numbers to Davis. They'd keep Parra around too who could also start in LF too (justifying his hefty arbitration amount), or be Clark's defensive replacement. No need to keep Ramirez around if they got Donaldson. If he accepts his option, I'd throw him into the deal along with $4-5 million so my offer would be Fiers, Davis and Ramirez for Donaldson and a low level prospect. I'd use the savings from Ramirez to add an extra starter in FA.

The acquisition of Lind got me thinking that Davis could be expendable. Clark has played some LF, and he may be fully capable of putting up similar numbers to Davis. They'd keep Parra around too who could also start in LF too (justifying his hefty arbitration amount), or be Clark's defensive replacement. No need to keep Ramirez around if they got Donaldson. If he accepts his option, I'd throw him into the deal along with $4-5 million so my offer would be Fiers, Davis and Ramirez for Donaldson and a low level prospect. I'd use the savings from Ramirez to add an extra starter in FA.

Would we need to add another starter since Nelson can slide into the 5th spot? Gallardo, Garza, Lohse, Peralta and Nelson would be pretty solid. Not sure you will find anything better without spending $10-14M AAV on the open market. We cannot afford to continue signing FA starters with Braun's second extension starting in 2016 ($20M AAV) and our younger players hitting arbitration (Maldonado, Kintzler, Peralta, Fiers, Davis, Segura, Thornburg and Jeffress). We will also need to find money to extend Lucroy and/or Gomez come 2017.

Would we need to add another starter since Nelson can slide into the 5th spot? Gallardo, Garza, Lohse, Peralta and Nelson would be pretty solid. Not sure you will find anything better without spending $10-14M AAV on the open market. We cannot afford to continue signing FA starters with Braun's second extension starting in 2016 ($20M AAV) and our younger players hitting arbitration (Maldonado, Kintzler, Peralta, Fiers, Davis, Segura, Thornburg and Jeffress). We will also need to find money to extend Lucroy and/or Gomez come 2017.

Didn't say I'd sign a starter who would command anywhere near the likes of Lohse or Garza. I'd just bring in a guy who could fill in the 5th spot in case of an injury or if Nelson struggles. There are any number of guys that fit that who come cheap every year. Look at Harang who Braves got for a mere $1 million or Capuano who earned $2.25. That's the type I'm talking about. Scrap heap but reliable guys. Maybe even bring back Narveson from Japan. With Estrada traded and under my scenario Fiers is dealt too, they'd need some insurance.

Didn't say I'd sign a starter who would command anywhere near the likes of Lohse or Garza. I'd just bring in a guy who could fill in the 5th spot in case of an injury or if Nelson struggles. There are any number of guys that fit that who come cheap every year. Look at Harang who Braves got for a mere $1 million or Capuano who earned $2.25. That's the type I'm talking about. Scrap heap but reliable guys. Maybe even bring back Narveson from Japan. With Estrada traded and under my scenario Fiers is dealt too, they'd need some insurance.

Sorry I didn't realize you were talking about adding a starter for depth. Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying.

• 1 month later...
Chase Headley reportedly has a 4-year/$65M offer in hand.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/chase-headley-rumors-thursday.html

That's just kind of crazy. Could be BS, but with the money being thrown around, you never know.

You're right that is crazy. It's about 3/4 of what Headley really should get. He projects at 3.9 wins next year. So for four year you would expect something like 3.9, 3.4, 2.9, 2.4 wins for a total of 12.6 wins. At $7 million per win that should be a $85-90 million contract.

Chase Headley reportedly has a 4-year/$65M offer in hand.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/chase-headley-rumors-thursday.html

That's just kind of crazy. Could be BS, but with the money being thrown around, you never know.

You're right that is crazy. It's about 3/4 of what Headley really should get. He projects at 3.9 wins next year. So for four year you would expect something like 3.9, 3.4, 2.9, 2.4 wins for a total of 12.6 wins. At $7 million per win that should be a $85-90 million contract.

You need to remember that most of his value comes from his defense not his offensive production which is what adds $$$ to their AAV. Power and pitching are what teams consider valuable not speed and defense. So a 4yr/$65M deal for a 3B with below average power is considered high. And I'm a big Headley fan. who wanted the Brewers to sign him albeit not at that price.

Archived