Brewer Fanatic

3B in 2015 if A-Ram not re-signed

Sorry, I didn't realize you were saying "less trade value than Gallardo." I thought you were saying he had little trade value.

I agree that Gallardo should have greater trade value than Gallardo, but it really depends on the other team. A team looking to win now that wants veteran leadership and stability may favor Lohse, while a team looking to extend the player beyond one year would favor Gallardo. Either way, I think one of them should be traded, and I think we could get decent value back for either of the players. I'd really hate to see us hold onto both of them and watch both walk away as free agents after the season for no return.

I can see the Brewers possibly trading one of them, too, and I'd prefer it be Gallardo, both for the greater return and also because of his increasing inconsistency. I see leadership and more intangibles from Lohse, yet not much on either count from Gallardo, who's often at least as capable of pitching a total stinker as a 7-inning 1-hitter before turning it over to the bullpen, and the stinkers often seem to come at the least opportune times.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just showing that it's not a good idea to give up on a promising young player because of a slow start, especially in a small sample. I doubt Nelson will end up in the Hall of Fame, but there's reason to believe that he will be a capable MLB starter if given the chance.

I just think that Nelson, at age 25, isn't at all comparable to pitchers that were 3-5 years younger than him when they had their first season in the majors.

But I'm sure there are plenty of pitchers that their first season were closer to age 25 that had a slow start, but were very good in their career.

I know I still think he makes it and doesn't end up the next Ben Hendrickson, which is why I would be willing to gamble on trading away Gallardo.

Here's the answer to the thread's headline:

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/99812968/brewers-grab-third-baseman-luis-jimenez-off-waivers-from-angels

26-year old Luis Jimenez claimed off waivers from the Angels. Last year at AAA he batted .286 with 21 home runs, 34 doubles and 12 stolen bases in 469 at-bats.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/99812968/brewers-grab-third-baseman-luis-jimenez-off-waivers-from-angels

26-year old Luis Jimenez claimed off waivers from the Angels. Last year at AAA he batted .286 with 21 home runs, 34 doubles and 12 stolen bases in 469 at-bats.

Last time Melvin claimed a blocked 3B off waivers in October, it turned out quite well. Like the fact he can run a little too. Ramirez's jogging between bases was hampering the offense. Appears the plan is sign LaRoche, bat him in the middle of the order, go with a young 3B, either Jiminez or Rogers down toward the bottom of the order (where the 1B has been hitting the last couple years). I would hope Melvin would at least make some effort at the veteran 3B and I don't think this claim precludes that.

Last time Melvin claimed a blocked 3B off waivers in October, it turned out quite well. Like the fact he can run a little too. Ramirez's jogging between bases was hampering the offense. Appears the plan is sign LaRoche, bat him in the middle of the order, go with a young 3B, either Jiminez or Rogers down toward the bottom of the order (where the 1B has been hitting the last couple years). I would hope Melvin would at least make some effort at the veteran 3B and I don't think this claim precludes that.

And the irony is Casey McGehee was blocked in the Cubs organization by Aramis Ramirez at that time. (We then signed Ramirez to replace McGehee after Casey forgot how to hit for a few years.) And now, we are going back to the waivers to replace Aramis. Let's just hope Luis works out like Casey, Scotty Po or Brady Clark did and can have a few years of success.

Rogers is actually a little younger than Jimenez so the organization must not be convinced Rogers can play 3B. Think I would rather have Rogers in the lineup than this guy if Ramirez departs.

A little healthy competition is good. Very early to speculate, but if Ramirez is gone, we could see both Jimenez and Rogers on the roster, with one starting at 3B and one the backup 1B/3B/power bat off the bench.

This sure looks like a great pick-up...I like it, can't hurt...

Agreed. Whether he's starting or a bench player, adding an MLB-ready guy with six years of inexpensive team control is a good thing. If this works out, it could fill a huge organizational hole.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Rogers is actually a little younger than Jimenez so the organization must not be convinced Rogers can play 3B. Think I would rather have Rogers in the lineup than this guy if Ramirez departs.

He is younger by 2 months so that doesn't count as anything. I think you just let them battle it out and see who wins.

Rogers was a 32th round draft pick but has a minor league OBP of .367 (that is awesome.)

Jimenez was signed out of the DR as an 18 year old in 2008. Luis did well in the DSL and straight up raked in the Pioneer league. He has continued having solid numbers all through the minors. Here is a write-up of him on an Angels blog:

http://www.halosheaven.com/2012/1/18/2716400/luis-jimenez-top-angels-prospect-8

Let them compete in Spring 2015 and see who wins. I think there is a good chance both of the guys make the team, if Ramirez is in fact gone.

I'm not sure how anyone can say anything negative about this move... We have no idea how good the kid is, and taking a flyer on a guy with minor league numbers as good as his is just brilliant in my opinion...

I don't think we can make any accurate comparisons to anyone in our organization until we see him stack up against them. Sometimes it feels like some of our own fans just want to go against any kind of move we make...

We literally have nothing to lose by picking him up, not a single thing, and if he sticks, good for us!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Try "Taylor" Green. I like that move an awful lot even though his star may well have passed. At least he's only 27 and not 30+. Accumulating young options for 3B, and seemingly with better chances for impact collectively than what they had going at 1B in 2013.

Well one reason those wanting A-Ram back cited, lack of other options, is being certainly being addressed. McCalvy reported that Brewers hadn't decided if they were picking up Ramirez's option or not. It certainly appears to me that they have and they are looking in other directions. I think the only way Ramirez is back is if there's little interest in him in the FA market and he'll play for a lot less.

Does anyone know how long after the World Series ends both sides have to make their respective decisions?

~Bill Walsh

Well one reason those wanting A-Ram back cited, lack of other options, is being certainly being addressed. McCalvy reported that Brewers hadn't decided if they were picking up Ramirez's option or not. It certainly appears to me that they have and they are looking in other directions. I think the only way Ramirez is back is if there's little interest in him in the FA market and he'll play for a lot less.

It's being addressed the same way first base has been "addressed". Get a bunch of fringe major leaguers and hope one of them lucks into something good. In essence, it's not being addressed.

It's being addressed the same way first base has been "addressed". Get a bunch of fringe major leaguers and hope one of them lucks into something good. In essence, it's not being addressed.

Kind of looks like they understand that if Ramirez isn't a Brewer in 2015, there are way too many holes for them to fill this offseason. So, instead of signing another iffy vet (Overbay/Reynolds), Melvin has signed an iffy young guy. In my opinion that's good, because if given those two options, it's better to fill holes with young guys playing for league minimum that have a chance of becoming long-term solutions than it is to fill them with pricier short-term vets who are not in the long-term plans and probably won't give you any more production than the pre-arby guy.

Until I see it happen, I won't believe that the Brewers aren't "going for it," so if Ramirez leaves I would guess that at least one "name" player will be brought in for one of the corner IF spots, and guys like Rogers, Clark and Jimenez will fight for the other corner spot and/or bench roles.

This "name" signing will do exactly what all the other "name" signings since Ramirez have done... increase ticket sales, but not get us to the playoffs. I would assume (since they keep doing it) that the extra ticket sales more than make up for the cost of the "name" player, so even though we don't get to see good baseball, at least we can rest easy at night knowing that the fans' money is keeping the team profitable.

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If I was Melvin I would be putting in a claim for Josh Vitters who was just recently outrighted by the Cubs. He is still young yet at 25 as he doesn't turn 26 until next August. It is way to early to be giving up on him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/orioles-outright-evan-meek-2.html

Wow, Vitters had a .607 OPS last year at AAA. He just completely fell apart last year.

If I was Melvin I would be putting in a claim for Josh Vitters who was just recently outrighted by the Cubs. He is still young yet at 25 as he doesn't turn 26 until next August. It is way to early to be giving up on him.

Wow, Vitters had a .607 OPS last year at AAA. He just completely fell apart last year.

His minor league stats show improvement at every level when his was promoted mid season and returned the following year to the same level until last year. Maybe a fresh start could get him back on track. He's definitely worth a waiver claim with his potential and young age.

Since Vitters put up much better numbers at the same team in 2012, you have to wonder if his lack of performance last year was injury related. I doubt the Brewers go for it though since they resigned Taylor Green.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

His minor league stats show improvement at every level when his was promoted mid season and returned the following year to the same level until last year. Maybe a fresh start could get him back on track. He's definitely worth a waiver claim with his potential and young age.

I totally agree that it's worth putting a claim on the guy. 3B is a such a black hole right now, and I prefer that the team fill that with young (and cheap) talent that has a modicum of upside instead of aging retreads.

Another guy I'd look to grab is Matt Davidson, who the White Sox got from Arizona last year and was a top 100 prospect. Davidson had a terrible 2014 (hit .199 at AAA). But prior to 2014, most predicted he'd be the starting 3B in Chicago - a guy who could hit .250-.260 with 20 HR. Get guys like this when they are cheap and try and kickstart their careers.

I like Garin Cecchini of Boston, but he'll cost something more (I've suggest Gallardo). He wasn't great in 2014, but not terrible like Vitters and Davidson.

Regarding Vitters, his inability to take walks is brutal. I wouldn't be surprised if Yuni had a better walk rate. That makes it tough to have success at the big league level. But then, what's the hurt to give the guy a try.

Since Vitters put up much better numbers at the same team in 2012, you have to wonder if his lack of performance last year was injury related. I doubt the Brewers go for it though since they resigned Taylor Green.

If Taylor Green makes the Brewers not look at all their options, that will make me angry. Green is an afterthought in my opinion, that ship has sailed...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived