Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-25 Brewers (Gallardo) vs Reds (Holmberg) 11:35 AM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-3; are eliminated from 2014 postseason]

Invader3K
Unfathomable of how many runners in scoring position have been stranded the past two months. Just looked up how bad we've been since sweeping the Dodgers - 3.0Rpg on 8.0Hpg with 7.3 LOBpg. Also 1.0 GDPpg. I'm not sure what league averages are during that span, but that seems terrible.

Now that the Brewers are officially out of it can we fire Melvin & Roenicke finally? Or do we have to wait until Monday?

I think Monday the axe will fall on one if not both. Then again, maybe I'm naive and Attanasio will stay with the status quo.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

My in-laws have a good friend who used to work for the Brewers, up until 2 years ago, and who still has a lot of contacts within the organization. They say that they think Melvin & RRR will be back

Take that with a grain of salt, though

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think DM and RR generally do a decent job and finding upgrades over them would be an issue. Just my thoughts.

I also think those expecting DM or RR to be fired are going to be disappointed. I just don't see Mark A pulling that trigger. The club had had a good attendance year and were in the race for virtually the entire year. 2013 was far more disappointing than 2014 and Mark A didn't fire them then.

Personally I will be upset if they stick with the status quo. If you would have told me before the season that we would finish at .500 and be in it until the last week of the season I would have been happy, but right now I pissed we blew the chance. The bottom line is they played absolutely miserable the last month plus and choked a way a playoff chance. As a fan I will be upset if Mark A says it was a good year and nothing changes, one if not both need to go.

I think DM and RR generally do a decent job and finding upgrades over them would be an issue. Just my thoughts.

I also think those expecting DM or RR to be fired are going to be disappointed. I just don't see Mark A pulling that trigger. The club had had a good attendance year and were in the race for virtually the entire year. 2013 was far more disappointing than 2014 and Mark A didn't fire them then.

Making the playoffs twice in the twelve years that Doug Melvin has been the Brewer GM is a decent job to you?

Let's compare where we were in 2005, Melvin's third year as GM, and where we are now.

In 2005, the Brewers finished the season 81-81. Ben Sheets and Chris Capuano were both 26 years old. Capuano had just won 18 games, Sheets was 10-9 with a 3.33 ERA. Yovani Gallardo was 19, and two years away.

The Brewers had JJ Hardy and Rickie Weeks at short and second. Prince had his first 62 big league at bats. Corey Hart his first 63. Nelson Cruz hadn't yet been shipped out of town with Carlos Lee for Kevin Mench and Francisco Cordero. Ryan Braun was coming soon. The future looked so bright.

How does that future look today? Fielder left Milwaukee, and had two good seasons in Detroit, topping .300 for the first time before being sent to Texas. JJ Hardy has been one of the best power hitting shortstops in the game with 77 home runs the prior three years. And he won two Gold Gloves at short. Corey Hart is gone, and there are serious concerns that Braun's thumb injury might curtail his offensive ability the rest of his career. That you can't blame any manager or GM for. But the black hole that's existed at first base for three years now since Prince left..that we can blame on Melvin. He had to know that Fielder wasn't going to take the offer from Milwaukee. Signing Braun long term was the right decision. But as we got closer to Prince leaving Milwaukee, why wasn't Melvin able to find his successor? They sure didn't give Mat Gamel any consistent playing time, having him bounce back and forth between Nashville and Milwaukee. The injury to Gamel was also not Melvin's fault. But going into the next season with nobody of note backing Gamel up if he got hurt again, which he did, was a tactical error.

Our minor league system might be better off than it was just two years ago. That's not saying much. Besides catcher, there isn't a single position in Milwaukee's infield that is settled. Not one.

First base, that black hole I mentioned. Matt Clark homered in three straight games. The power is legit. But can he hit when he's not launching balls into the seats? Stop me if you've heard this before.

Second base, Scooter Gennett is pretty good, so long as the opposing pitcher is the right handed variety of human. We need to find somebody that can play at second when a lefty starts. Somebody, hopefully, that can play multiple positions.

Shortstop looked like a strength when last year ended. Jean Segura looked like the future of the club. He looked lost pretty much the entire season. Nobody blames him for being down, and maybe unable to concentrate on the game. Will he ever bounce back to his 2013 first half performance level?

Third base is up in the air, too. Who knows how much longer Aramis Ramirez can keep playing. He missed some time this year, and amazingly enough, the rest of the offense was able to compensate. Will he be back next year? If not, I don't want to think about our opening day starting lineup.

If anything, I would say this organization is worse off than it was at the start of Melvin's tenure. The two playoff runs were fun. But we emptied the cupboards to reach for it all.

With Bruce Seid's passing, now might be the time to start from scratch with a new GM and coaching staff/manager, the new director of scouting. I want to see Mark being proactive. This terrible loss has afforded us the opportunity to revamp out system. We'll see what happens.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Had a chance to sign Morales or trade for Morneau. Doesn't mean either would have saved the season, but we know not upgrading got us this

.218/.271/.333/.604

That's what Kendrys Morales has done this season.

yeah, but he is a gritty veteran

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived