Brewer Fanatic

Who will get Sheet's next start?

Kpanz20

Sheets was pitching well. It was a pitcher's duel.

My question is: would Sheets have been injured there if Estrada had just caught the foul ball and not forced Sheets to throw his 9th and 10th pitches to Todd Helton?

Quote:
Why is Yost more concerned about 20 or so innings for Gallardo (which may make absolutely no difference to him) rather than a franchise's first playoff appearence in a quarter of a century?

Think of it this way:

A decade of having a true ace pitcher on the staff vs Mark Prior / Kerry Wood.

Quote:
If it is long term, it more or less has to be Villanueva. If it is short term, they could get by with Gallardo and his innings limit. If it is nothing, I'll be more than happy to see Ben Sheets pitch in five days.
I agree it has to be Villanueva if its long term, but this seems like a wait and see type of injury. If there no tear or break in the MRI, they won't have much of an idea how long he'll be out. So how do you decide then? Especially if the diagnosis is whenever Sheets feels comfortable, could be 1 start could be 4.

I had a hairline, tiny, little break in my thumb about a 2 years ago... and it still affects me when I play basically any sport. Its really annoying, and not something I can get fixed. I sure hope its nothing like that, and its just a sprain.

"A decade of having a true ace v Kerry Wood/Mark Prior."

Nice that you and Ned have such a clear crystal ball Chio. Withholding 20 innings insures exactly what?

Answer: Nothing. Not one extra year, certainly not 10.

Kerry Wood was abused as a high schooler. Furthermore he has a delivery that would have likely hurt his arm no matter how many innings he pitched.

Everyone thought Mark Prior had the perfect body and delivery (compared to Tom Seaver). No baseball experts predicted he'd have serious arm problems.

Look, saving some innings for a young pitcher is a good thing but it's a luxury for a team that may not be able to afford a such a luxury if their current ace goes down for a length of time.

Besides, all innings are not the same. Gallardo threw fewer pitches in 4 2/3 last night than Sheets did in 3 1/3. If his innings were properly managed, you could protect the strain on his arm.

I honestly don't think Villanueva is in the running for the spot start. If I had to guess, I would say that it would be between Yo and Parra, since Manny hasn't pitched in a few days and Villy is just so valuable in his present role. Let Villy ascend to the rotation next year. Given the success of our bullpen, why tinker with it?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Why is Yost more concerned about 20 or so innings for Gallardo (which may make absolutely no difference to him) rather than a franchise's first playoff appearence in a quarter of a century?

Nice that you and Ned have such a clear crystal ball Chio. Withholding 20 innings insures exactly what?

Answer: Nothing. Not one extra year, certainly not 10.

And (20 extra innings from Yo) doesn't ensure the Brewers make the playoffs, either.

Additionally, even if there was no injury risk, there is always the risk that his performance will suffer as his inning total increases. Verlander stated last year his playoff performance suffered because he'd never pitched so much in a year.

The Brewers are simply playing the probabilities. There aren't any promises (with regard to the Brewers making the playoffs or Yo getting hurt), so the Brewers are doing what they can to make sure that if Yo does get hurt down the line, it's not from overuse, and that if they do need Yo down the stretch, he is fresh enough he can help.

And, it's not a Yost decision. It is an organizational-wide decision.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote:
Everyone thought Mark Prior had the perfect body and delivery (compared to Tom Seaver). No baseball experts predicted he'd have serious arm problems.

He actually did, when they dug into his shoulder they found damage that would have shut down almost any other pitcher in baseball. The fact he was able to pitch through it at times is a testament to how good his delivery and body really are.

Briggs...

Exactly the point, Prior was supposed to be flawless, his innings were overloaded his first season for the playoff run and look where he is now. Do you think anyone in the Cubs front office would let Dusty run him out past 120 pitches every outing if they could do it again?

This wisdom of jumping a player 25 innings at a time, especially younger arms has been posted time and time again and shouldn't need to be rehashed again. It's been thoroughly documented on the forums previously.

For the Brewers to remain competitive they need to always sell high and get the most out of their cheap young studs. Bumping his innings up may very well have no effect on him, but it could also be the first domino that falls in wasted a career. With the uncertainty, why not play it safe? Does the world end if the Brewers dont' make the playoffs this year?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would say that it would be between Yo and Parra, since Manny hasn't pitched in a few days and Villy is just so valuable in his present role.

That was my inital thought too. If this is going to mean a DL stint for Sheets I think we may see Para.

Craig and Davey were downplaying the injury and were indicating that Ben could be fine. The team will know more after his next scheduled throwing session.

To read a lot of discussion about Yo's innings, check out this thread:

Gallardo and limiting his innings

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived