Brewer Fanatic

Different idea: Ryan Braun

DHonks
Okay, so if Braun isn't going to ever be the old Ryan Braun we knew, why not encourage him to totally reinvent his game? I mean, let's tell him that homers don't matter, that we want him to focus on becoming an OBP stud. He's always had a good eye, and I think that if we put him at leadoff with lowered power expectations, he could become an elite leadoff hitter.

I hope Gomez is gone next year, and I don't want him anyplace near the clean-up spot...

As far as Braun hitting lead-off? We won't know what kind of player he will be next year with a full off-season to try and heal, but if next year is like this one, I'm all for his reinvention.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Why do baseball players have to be pegs put into specific molds? Hit the ball when it's your turn in the lineup. I guess that sounds overly simplistic, but it's kind of opposite argument some make around here for pitchers. "The 8th inning guy" "The LOOGY" "The 7th inning guy" "The Closer". Don't we hate when the manager makes roles for pitchers? Why is it different for hitters? That makes me crazy.

I realize there is a lot of hand wringing over Braun's power, but I could care less about those things. Braun needs to get on base whether he hits 3rd, 8th, 5th, or 1st. If Braun can no longer hit for power because of his injuries, I think he is professional enough to be successful without needing a lineup change to prod him along.

Braun has always had a good eye? Not so sure about that. Here's yet another idea. Ryan, we signed you to a long term contract before we know about PEDs. We are going to ask you to restructure your contract, since you are not the same player today. Then I tell his handlers behind the scenes that he can certainly refuse to do this, but he will look awful in the public eye. After all that's happened does he really want to go through another round of media bashing?

Yes. that's playing hardball. And it probably wouldn't work. But I'm open to considering it at least. Make his new contract say 67% of what it was, and he can back to original amount through incentives.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Here is a different idea: Trade him this offseason for 50% salary relief and a young Will Smith-type middle reliever. Think we could get Betances from New York?

If Ryan Braun was a free agent today he'd be lucky to get a 1-year deal for $6-8 million. So I doubt any team, even the Yankees, want to take on 1/2 of the $110.5 million he's owed over the next six years.

Braun's a sub-.800 OPS corner OF. He plays averageish defense - at best. He's one of the most hated men in baseball, so he offers no PR opportunities. His hand problem that has bothered him for two years now - a problem that may never go away.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe someone would bet the injury will heal and Ryan will rebound in a big way. But I don't see anything saying that will happen.

If Braun has a great 2015, I could see someone making a deal if we picked up a lot of the contract. But now, he's virtually untradeable.

If Ryan Braun was a free agent today he'd be lucky to get a 1-year deal for $6-8 million. So I doubt any team, even the Yankees, want to take on 1/2 of the $110.5 million he's owed over the next six years.

Braun's a sub-.800 OPS corner OF. He plays averageish defense - at best. He's one of the most hated men in baseball, so he offers no PR opportunities. His hand problem that has bothered him for two years now - a problem that may never go away.

There are only 22 total players in all of the NL that have an .800 OPS or better. Per the mlb.com page, Braun has the 13th highest OPS (for the whole year) amongst all NL outfielders. So that means there are 32 outfielders that haven't hit as well as Braun this season that teams have trotted out there to start this season. Even with his last half swoon and baggage, I would bet that he would get more than a 1 year deal for $8M if he was on the market as a free agent.

There are only 22 total players in all of the NL that have an .800 OPS or better. Per the mlb.com page, Braun has the 13th highest OPS (for the whole year) amongst all NL outfielders. So that means there are 32 outfielders that haven't hit as well as Braun this season that teams have trotted out there to start this season. Even with his last half swoon and baggage, I would bet that he would get more than a 1 year deal for $8M if he was on the market as a free agent.

Yeah, even without feeling in his right thumb, he still outhits almost every other player in baseball. If his thumb can heal, I don't doubt that he will once again be an elite hitter, but it sounds like there is a good chance that the thumb will never be normal again. At his current production, he's not bad, he's just not worth nearly what he's due to be paid, and that discrepancy will worsen as he ages. If the thumb remains an issue, he will be our Alfonso Soriano, and like the Cubs, we will just have to overpay for the length of the contract, or maybe save a few million by trading him when the contract is nearly up and eating most of the remaining salary.

To add salt to the wound, the injury occurred in conjunction with the suspension, so there will always be the question of whether or not he was ever elite, or if it was just PEDs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

To add salt to the wound, the injury occurred in conjunction with the suspension, so there will always be the question of whether or not he was ever elite, or if it was just PEDs.

He was 2nd in MVP voting in 2012. Why would Braun take PEDs after the whole 2011 debacle, but not after his suspension?

He was 2nd in MVP voting in 2012. Why would Braun take PEDs after the whole 2011 debacle, but not after his suspension?

To be clear, my limited knowledge of the subject suggests that HGH helps players heal and stay on the field, but does not help other performance. Therefore, I think a healthy, PED-free Braun is indeed an elite hitter/Hall of Fame talent. I was just stating that many in "the baseball world" will view Braun as a cheater, and use the lower production (which I believe is due to the thumb injury) as "proof." If there is doubt as to his actual ability, in addition to doubts about his health, then it would be hard for the Brewers to trade him.

Hopefully his thumb will heal and he will return to his old, productive self.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

OPS is one way to judge Braun. Add in his defense. Fangraphs puts his OF defense as the 10th worse out of 55 qualifying players. Then there's the hand. It's clearly affecting his performance. He's got a .682 OPS since the All-Star break. That's gotta worry people. The injury could easily be a long term issue. And finally there's the Braun brand. He's poison. A lot of people hate him, including fans and players.

Perhaps you're right and he'd get more. But there would be backlash from fans and maybe from certain players. And a one-year deal wouldn't cripple a team if Braun continued to struggle.

I'm resigned that Braun is a Brewer for the long haul. That's okay. Even if he's overpaid, he's still a good player. I'm just praying he can rebound from his current health issues.

And the truth shall set one free!

Archived