Brewer Fanatic

Gomez for Bryce Harper?

LouisEly

The other problem: At some point, Carlos Gomez will get that $20 million/year deal from the Yankees... and will the Brewers be able to match that?

If I got blown away by a deal (#1 starter, good 1B, two-three top ten prospects), I'd consider moving Gomez. But I'd have to be blown away... Harper wouldn't do it for me... unless the Crew could get a long-term deal past 2019.

What about trading Gomez to the Mariners for Walker, Peterson and Hultzen? Mariners get another right handed bat who can handle the space in CF at Safeco while the Brewers get a top of the rotation starter, a top 10 1B prospect and a former #2 overall pick (2011) who is coming off shoulder surgery but could develop into a solid starter.

It's hard to know if Seattle would do that, but, whether proven MLB young talent or top-tier prospects, that's the caliber of return I think the Brewers should be looking for if they entertain offers for Gomez. . . . Harper's an interesting potential target, but I think that while he's good, the notion of just how good he actually is is quite hype-enhanced on a nation-wide basis.

• 1 month later...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12024212/washington-nationals-disappointed-bryce-harper-no-show-fan-event

Bryce Harper no-shows fan event "due to matters out of (his) control". I'm struggling to think of something that would be completely out of his control, given the amount of money that he has, with the exception of emergency hospitalization or medical quarantine. Flight cancelled? Take a private jet, you (and your agent, Boras) have enough money.

Trust me, many in Washington would not be sad to see him go and if they are going for it I think they would gladly take someone as talented as Gomez to get rid of the headaches Harper is causing them. Heck, I'm not even sure that would be a good deal for the Brewers if Harper is going to pull this crap over a grievance regarding a contract he signed.

Harper is in the process of appealing his contract. Hence the no-show at NatsFest. Boras is his agent and is undoubtedly pulling the strings behind the scenes. The Brewers would be wise to steer clear unless they got a favorable deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/bryce-harper-skips-natsfest-three-days-before-arbitration-grievance-hearing/2014/12/13/43c412d0-8270-11e4-b005-b260c9ec5217_story.html

Harper waited until the last minute to sign his initial contract. I think he may have been screwed by Boras' attempts to squeeze out every last penny. In any case, that's what's causing the hold up. Whether he should be super 2 or not.

I know he is talented, but has yet to put all that talent together. To be honest, I'd prefer not to have a player like that, with all his drama, on this team.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Look at his numbers. He's good but so much more of it is hype and he's really not that special. Baseball-reference.com also indicates he signed a 5-yr contract that runs from 2011-15. That being so, I don't get how there can be any debate about being arby-eligible or super-two qualified in terms of that offsetting his contract that's already signed. I get how it could impact 2016 and beyond, but not 2015.

Anyway, with Scott Boras as his agent, as well as the stuff Boras has been feeding him about his value all along, this seems like another J.D. Drew saga of career-long prima donna, and certainly that type of guy is too big (in his own head) for a market like Milwaukee -- so even if we got him, he wouldn't last here long (see: Sabathia, Greinke, Fielder, etc.).

Take all that into consideration and I want nothing to do with this guy. Trading Gomez might prove to be a really good idea at some point, but I'd rather trade for impact & quantity of talent, not a headliner who's also a headache.

I'd imagine the Nationals would still be able to get an insane return for Harper. This isn't realistic at all.

Agreed. There are absolutely ridiculous statements being made in this thread. It shall now be known as the Clown-Thread.

Arguing that Bryce Harper for Carlos Gomez is a realistic idea at this point is like arguing with that uncle you have that keeps saying stuff like, "Well, why don't the Brewers just get that guy Bumgarner."

Harper just signed a two year deal. It will avoid arbitration but this shows again that bad feelings can come out of these situations. Also, Williams is going to switch Harper to right and Werth to left (assuming Jason is out of prison by Spring).

Harper just signed a two year deal. It will avoid arbitration but this shows again that bad feelings can come out of these situations. Also, Williams is going to switch Harper to right and Werth to left (assuming Jason is out of prison by Spring).

I'm not sure what bad feelings there could be. The whole grievance thing was written into the contract when it was signed after he was drafted. All it shows is that Boras really overplayed his hand and almost lost.

Archived