Brewer Fanatic

1B in 2015

My dream acquisition would be Victor Martinez, yes he's 35 but he can flat out rake.... pretty unlikely to happen though

He's just about the only real difference maker out there.

Adam LaRoche will be 35 and had a pretty dismal 2nd half....

anyone else?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/potential-free-agents-for-2015/

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I've thought about Martinez. The dude can really hit. Morneau would be nice if he can retain his 2014 form. Cuddyer would be great on lots of levels but his track record for staying healthy isn't good.

I like Clark plenty, at least if his 2014 represents regaining old form and getting back onto his original career trajectory. However, I'd be uncomfortable if he's our most MLB-experienced 1B on the roster going into 2015.

Notwithstanding last night's game-killing gaffe, Reynolds has been outstanding in the field, our best defensive 1B this year and it's not even close. But I don't want this guy on next year's roster. His is the epitome of the type of bat we really need to go away from, not toward and especially not welcome back after this year's performance.

My biggest concern is that if RRR is back (who are we kidding, he WILL be back) Reynolds will also be back, and will have the same role on this team that he had this year. That would be sad.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

They will unfortunately be in the same situation as they have been the last two offseasons. Really nothing in terms of minor league help. Clark and Rogers might be better than Reynolds but that's not saying much. Adam LaRoche is really the only free agent worth talking about. He will certainly be an upgrade but he's 35 and will probably want multiple years. He's also not guaranteed to be a free agent. There was some talk of Billy Butler but he's coming off of a sub .700 OPS/single digit homerun season. He's only 29 so maybe a buy low and hope he rebounds candidate. At this point the only feasible options are go young and cheap (Clark, Rogers, Morris) or move someone there (Ramirez or Braun) which probably isn't happening. Bottom line is that first base will almost certainly be a black hole in 2015 again.

I'd like to see them swing a deal for Morneau as the every day 1B and have Jason Rogers as the back-up, mostly because Rogers can play 3B as well when (not if) Ramirez gets hurt. I'm not sure what it would take but I'd be ok moving a guy like Pena, Morris, or Rivera to get Morneau for a season.

A .778 OPS this season is not "dismal". Heckuva lot better than what the Brewers have gotten.

True. I suppose I should have said that a .778 OPS is kinda dismal for $12 million ($15 million due in 2015)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

True. I suppose I should have said that a .778 OPS is kinda dismal for $12 million ($15 million due in 2015)

Since July 1st he has a line of .208/.307/.400/.707. I'd classify that as dismal, though still better than what the Brewers are getting.

I sincerely hope the club stops trying to put lipstick on a pig and plug holes with aging, mediocre players. 2011 is over, it's time to rebuild.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I think with Garza, Peralta, Fiers, and Nelson they have the makings of decent enough rotation even if they move both Lohse and Gallardo. So I'm looking at revamping rather than say rebuilding completely.

Theo Epstein has stated it's actually easier now to find pitching than it is to find hitting. That's quite a reversal from even 8-10 years ago. I think we also have to look at the effect of shifts particularly on left handed pull hitters, many of whose prime position has always been 1B. Their numbers at all levels are down. Is Clark the answer there? Maybe. But expectations shouldn't be high. Ultimately the answer is Clint Coulter who's at least 2 years away. Fill in with the Clarks of the world, hope maybe Morris or Halton forces his way into the picture if Clark struggles and see if there's a young hitter available in the trade market that fits who might be blocked somewhere.

I think it's a pretty sure thing there isn't an answer out there at 1b. Clark/Rogers it should be in 2015. Why pay Millions to get .650-.710OPS from the available 1b out there in FA when you have two from your minors that can do that? 1b in MLB are terrible for whatever reason right now. Prospects are flaming out barely able to bat .200. Since that is the case go with Clark and Rogers.

Put in perspective via MLB.com top 10 rated 1b prospects:

1.Dominick Smith- .683OPS in Afull

2.Matt Olsen-117BBs .262BA .947OPS in A Adv.

3.Casey Gillepsie- .774OPS 20th pick in this year's draft! Ranked 3rd in 1b prospects

4.Dan Vogelbach-.268BA/ .787OPS in A Adv drafted in 2011!

5.AJ Reed-.289BA/.898OPS 2nd rd! selection this year!

6.Christian Walker-.288BA/.846OPS

7.Peter O'Brien-.271/.910OPS

8.Travis Shaw-.278/.826OPS

9.Max Muncy-.264/.764OPS

10.Jesus Aquilar-.304/.905OPS

Of those 10 hit tools ranked Above 50 are: Smith,Gillepsie,Vogelbach,Reed, and Muncy.

Smith and Muncy have 40grade Run tools. Everyone else is 20 or 30!

Smith is only one to have above 50grade Field Tool.

So Smith is the only worthwhile prospect via Grades yet he's the worst of the entire bunch with a .683OPS. Yeah it's bad.

I'll look up the ML 1b situation in alittle bit.

Since July 1st he has a line of .208/.307/.400/.707. I'd classify that as dismal, though still better than what the Brewers are getting.

Way to cherry-pick your start date. If that was his line since 7/1, and his line the second half of the season is .778 OPS (as of right now, technically .773), then he is getting better.

I just hope Melvin doesn't panic and overspend on an average player for 4 years. I'd rather play the entire year with a Clark/Rogers platoon than to throw 4 years and $30 million and some 34 year old player. Save the money for a major bench upgrade, which will probably end up being more beneficial anyway.

And for god sake, move Coulter to first already. Give him 2-3 years to learn the position in the minors with nobody in front of him to block him. I'm sick of this "oh we can make it work" attitude they have with players who are clearly over their heads at their current position. Coulter, at best, is going to be an average defensive catcher. Move him and give him enough time so that when he is ready for the majors he's not a defensive liability. And instantly you have a top prospect at an extremely weak position.

its an odd numbered year, and we all know what that means...

YUNI-TIMEEE!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Ben Paulsen put up some nice numbers in small sample trial for Rockies (.317/.348/.571) but he's blocked by Morneau. He's similar in age and experience to Clark.

Speaking of Rockies, I've always kind of liked D J LeMahieu. I think he's a better hitter than his numbers have shown in the majors to this point as he was a very good minor league hitter at all levels, and as a guy who can play both 3B and 2B, I could see a role for him on the Brewers.

Archived