Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-18 Brewers (Lohse) at Cardinals (Miller), 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2 (13 innings)]

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Until this bunch can figure out how to beat those stinkin' Cardinals we will NEVER win a damn thing.

Unless we play games that aren't against the Cardinals?

Well, the Cards are in our division so we play a boat load of games against them and lose most of the time.

Not even a sweep is good enough now.

Fitting that they lose it this way. Mental mistakes, lack of hitting and relying on Jimmy Nelson pretty much sums up three key themes of the second half.

Well said.

I'm not one to blame individuals, but I've had these 2 prevailing thoughts for a while and tonight swirls 'em both together quite grandly:

1. Mark Reynolds should just clean out his locker now.

2. I think Johnny Narron needs to go. I just don't see any of our hitters really improving under him. A team slump is one thing, and the Brewers hitters certainly have their flaws, but the offense has been lousy for much of the 2nd half and only seems to be getting worse. A team slump is one thing, but since early July, why are many of our hitters' ABs getting progressively worse as the year moves on, and where are the adjustments? Why have veterans like Reynolds & Weeks gotten worse and worse as the season's worn on (okay, they just aren't MLB hitters anymore)? Clutch hitting is terrible. Where are the focus, in-AB adjustments like shortened-up swings w/ 2 strikes, subtle adjustments in approach overall? Why can't most of our hitters -- Gomez most glaringly -- get a bunt down? . . . Etc..... Gennett & Davis are exactly what they were in the minors. Braun, Lucroy, Ramirez, & Gomez were pretty much already were what they are before Narron's arrival. Who's gotten better? Short list if any names at all. Who's gotten worse? Long list... The issues go beyond Narron, surely (Braun's thumb only begins the list... and no, I don't think replacing Roenicke is a needed solution), but the deterioration of quite a capable offense is, to me, the most glaring issue and, on that count, IMO a change is needed.

That wasn't my point.

Melvin's dismissed coaches before. Stan Kyles certainly wasn't the problem at all when he got canned but he paid the price for a total BP meltdown. Individual Brewers coaches have paid the price for failures in the area they're in charge of. Johnny Narron's apparently a wonderful human being. That notwithstanding, I'd prefer to see a hitting coach who helps our hitters improve, and a couple years now offer some evidence that Narron's not that guy.

Archived