Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-18 Brewers (Lohse) at Cardinals (Miller), 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2 (13 innings)]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]September 18 | 7:15 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (79-73) | Cardinals (84-68)[/h2][h3]FSWI, MLBN | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/cardinals.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/igkBnLz.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/v64rhg2.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Kyle Lohse[/pitcher][h2]12-9, 3.81 ERA, 1.21 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Cardinals | Game Log[/h3][h3]Lohse appears to have recovered from an ankle injury that cost him one start in mid-August and limited his effectiveness in a couple others. In his last start last Friday against Cincinnati, he allowed two runs on five hits in 6 2/3 innings.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Shelby Miller[/pitcher][h2]10-9, 3.75 ERA, 1.28 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Miller picked up his 10th win on Saturday, going six innings and giving up one run. Miller has given up just three runs in his last 27 innings, a streak that coincides with his ability to mix in his secondary pitches with his fastball.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. CF Carlos Gómez
  2. 2B Scooter Gennett
  3. C Jonathan Lucroy
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. RF Ryan Braun
  6. LF Gerardo Parra
  7. 1B Matt Clark
  8. SS Héctor Gómez
  9. RHP Kyle Lohse

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. 3B Matt Carpenter
  2. CF Jon Jay
  3. LF Matt Holliday
  4. 1B Matt Adams
  5. SS Jhonny Peralta
  6. C Yadier Molina
  7. RF Oscar Taveras
  8. 2B Kolten Wong
  9. RHP Shelby Miller

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cards employ Miller looking to pad NL Central lead

Brewers turn to Lohse seeking series win in chase for Wild Card spot

By Manny Randhawa / MLB.com | 9/18/2014 2:00 AM ET

As the Cardinals continue their push toward a second consecutive National League Central title with the Pirates trailing by just 2 1/2 games, St. Louis will send one of its hottest starters to the mound to face the Brewers in Thursday night's series finale at Busch Stadium.

Right-hander Shelby Miller is 2-0 with a 0.45 ERA (one earned run in 20 innings pitched) in three September starts, and he's been particularly good against the Brewers in his career. In seven starts against them, the 23 year-old is 5-0 with a 2.30 ERA. St. Louis, which lowered its magic number for a postseason berth to six on Wednesday, has never lost to Milwaukee with Miller on the mound.

During the stretch run in 2013, Miller faded in September and only made one appearance in the postseason as the Cardinals reached the World Series. This year, however, he feels different.

"My first year last year, going through 170 innings, it's a grind," Miller said. "I felt strong then, but I feel stronger now, and I feel like I'm a smarter pitcher because of [catcher Yadier Molina]. It's not me making the calls out there. I'm just trying to make the pitch."

Miller will be going up against a Brewers club that is playing each game as if it could be the difference between making the postseason or missing it, because it could be. With Wednesday night's 2-0 loss, Milwaukee is five games back in the NL Central and 2 1/2 games behind Pittsburgh for the second NL Wild Card spot.

The Brewers will send veteran right-hander Kyle Lohse to the hill hoping for a clutch performance.

Unlike his counterpart on Thursday, Lohse has not had success in his career against his next opponent. In 12 starts against St. Louis, Lohse is 3-7 with a 5.12 ERA. In three starts against the Cards this season, he's 0-2 with a 9.64 ERA (15 earned runs in 14 innings pitched).

Lohse was solid in his last start, but he settled for a no-decision in an eventual 3-2, walk-off win over the Reds last Friday. He went 6 2/3 frames, allowing two runs on five hits, while walking two and striking out six.

After his last start against St. Louis, in which he gave up five runs over four innings in a loss on Sept. 6, Lohse spoke about the notion that the Brewers were running out of time after falling out of first place, a position they held for 150 days.

"We have to look at it as we have a game tomorrow and we have to come out and do the best we can to execute when we have opportunities," he said. "That's the way it is."

Brewers: Starters coming through in crunch time

The Brewers have been getting solid starting pitching over the past week, and despite Wednesday's loss, right-hander Mike Fiers pitched well, allowing one earned run on three hits over seven innings, while carrying a no-hitter into the sixth.

"I don't know why that happens," manager Ron Roenicke said of starters feeding off each other. "They run a lot on emotions, and when we're not going well and everyone tries harder, it never works.

"That's probably the biggest thing when you're going bad, people try to do things that they're not normally used to doing. The mind screws up the body. The veterans, that's where it really becomes important. They're the ones who should get through all this and know that they've got to stay level to get out of it."

Cardinals: Despite hiccup, Rosenthal continues to chase saves mark

With 44 saves on the season, closer Trevor Rosenthal is three shy of setting a franchise record. He blew a save opportunity on Tuesday night by yielding the tying run to Milwaukee in the ninth.

That was his first blown save chance in nearly a month, and a familiar issue for Rosenthal was the culprit: the leadoff hitter reaching base. Forty percent of batters leading off an inning against Rosenthal have reached base against him in 2014.

"What he needs to be reminded about is that he's up on the leaderboard up there for saves, and we trust him in those situations," manager Mike Matheny said. "It comes with getting one out at a time and trusting your stuff. There are times when it's just not there. Times like [Tuesday] stand out, and the natural tendency would be a mistake of overcorrecting something."

Worth noting

• Milwaukee's Scooter Gennett is 6-for-13 (.462) against Miller. Aramis Ramirez is also 6-for-13 against the right-hander, with two home runs and five RBIs.

• Several Cardinals hitters have had success against Lohse. Matt Holliday is 10-for-28 (.357) with a double, a homer and four RBIs. Molina is 11-for-20 (.550) with three doubles, three homers and eight RBIs. Jhonny Peralta is 8-for-22 (.364) with a double, homer and two RBIs. Kolten Wong is 5-for-8 (.625) with a double, homer and four RBIs.

• Brewers closer Francisco Rodriguez's next save will be the 347th of his career, tying him with Randy Myers for 10th place all-time.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

All they have to do is keep winning series. If they do that, they will be one game behind the Pirates going into the final series of the season. That starts tonight against the Cards, obviously.

If they lose tonight, plan B is sweep the Pirates. Neither of these roads to the playoffs are easy, but they still (for the most part) control their own destiny. If there was ever a time for a Ryan Braun hot streak it is right now.

Exciting week, as every game is the most important of the year.

I'm still mad about Braun's strikezone in his final at-bat last night, though.

Me too. I'm as non-confrontational as they come, but I would have gotten myself tossed last night were I Braun. He seems pretty good at turning hate into hits; hopefully that will happen tonight.

It wouldn't hurt to try to take a pitch from Miller. He can get pretty wild at times. Make him throw strikes.

We better not count on a Pirates loss tonight. 1-9 Brandon Workman is taking on Gerrit Cole.

This team? Surely you can't be serious.

Pirates win. :indifferent

I wish there was an emoticon that better demonstrates the depth of my fanhood despair. First the collapse, now they start playing halfway decent but can't make up any ground anyway. As a Brewer fan accustomed to disappointment, it's hard to get hopes up for this weekend.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Archived