Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-17 Brewers (Fiers) at Cardinals (Wainwright), 7:15 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 2-0]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]September 17 | 7:15 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (79-72) | Cardinals (83-68)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/cardinals.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/WDySXHO.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/Ybq4mTd.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Mike Fiers[/pitcher][h2]6-2, 1.84 ERA, 0.86 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Cardinals | Game Log[/h3][h3]Fiers is making his first start since hitting Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton with a pitch, resulting in facial fractures. In seven starts since being called up Aug. 9 to fill in for Matt Garza, Fiers is 6-1 with a 1.74 ERA.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Adam Wainwright[/pitcher][h2]18-9, 2.56 ERA, 1.05 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Wainwright picked up his 18th win on Friday. In his last two starts, Wainwright has given up two runs in 17 innings. Wainwright didn't walk anybody Friday, a sign that his control appears to be back after a shaky August.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. CF Carlos Gomez
  2. 2B Scooter Gennett
  3. C Jonathan Lucroy
  4. 3B Aramis Ramirez
  5. RF Ryan Braun
  6. LF Gerardo Parra
  7. 1B Lyle Overbay
  8. SS Jean Segura
  9. RHP Mike Fiers

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. 3B Matt Carpenter
  2. RF Jon Jay
  3. LF Matt Holliday
  4. 1B Matt Adams
  5. SS Jhonny Peralta
  6. C Yadier Molina
  7. 2B Daniel Descalso
  8. CF Peter Bourjos
  9. RHP Adam Wainwright

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiers aiming to help Brewers gain in playoff race

Waino looking to help first-place St. Louis extend NL Central lead

By Manny Randhawa / MLB.com | 9/17/2014 2:10 AM ET

On Wednesday night, Brewers right-hander Mike Fiers will be making his first start since he released an 88 mph fastball that hit Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton in the face last Thursday at Miller Park. Stanton sustained a laceration and multiple fractures.

Fiers, who fought back tears during a postgame media session, said he has been in touch with Stanton since then.

"Just talked a little bit," Fiers said. "He understands it wasn't on purpose."

Fiers now turns his focus to another crucial contest for Milwaukee after the club grinded out a 3-2, 12-inning victory in its series opener against the Cardinals on Tuesday night at Busch Stadium. With time running out in the regular season, the win moved the Brewers to four games behind St. Louis in the National League Central, and kept them 1 1/2 games behind the Pirates for the second NL Wild Card spot.

"I just don't really want to talk about [the Stanton situation]," Fiers said. "I just want to get rid of it and focus on [Wednesday], and the rest of the season."

Since entering the starting rotation in place of the injured Matt Garza in early August, the 29 year-old Fiers has been stellar, going 6-1 with a 1.74 ERA in seven starts.

Fiers' between-starts bullpen session on Sunday was excellent, pitching coach Rick Kranitz said.

"You still have to go about your game plan and you still have to pitch to your strengths," Kranitz said. "It's never an easy thing. I know; I've hit guys before in the head, and it's never a pleasant thing. But it's part of the game. So yeah, it's business as usual.

"Everything's been good leading up. He's the same guy. We've talked about it. You get it out in the open and talk about it a little bit -- that's all you can really do -- and now you just go back to work. It's not easy."

Fiers will be facing a team that knows how to win in September, and is proving it again in 2014.

Tuesday's loss was the first regular season defeat St. Louis experienced at home in September or October since Sept. 14, 2013, against Seattle. St. Louis is 29-8 in September and October regular season home games since 2012, including a red-hot 19-3 dating to last year.

The Cards have won 10 of 15 so far this month, though their loss on Tuesday trimmed their lead over the Pirates in the NL Central to 2 1/2 games with 11 remaining in the regular season.

"I don't know if we're at our best yet," St. Louis manager Mike Matheny said. "I've seen some better runs we've had here lately, and I've seen some things that we all would like. But to say this is our best of the year is cutting it all short. I think we have to keep pushing for what that best is going to look like. Hopefully that's still in front of us."

St. Louis ace Adam Wainwright will be looking for his 19th win of the season on Wednesday. Should he earn that win, it would be the fourth time in the veteran right-hander's career that he's won at least 19 games.

Following a rough stretch from Aug. 1 to Sept. 2, in which he posted an uncharacteristic 5.28 ERA, Wainwright returned to form over his last two starts, in which he allowed two earned runs in 17 innings (1.06 ERA).

Wainwright tossed a complete game in his last outing against the Brewers, allowing one run on seven hits on Sept. 7.

Brewers: Broxton dealing

Reliever Jonathan Broxton has tossed 7 1/3 scoreless innings in seven appearances since being acquired in an Aug. 31 trade with the Reds.

The veteran right-hander has allowed just three hits and no walks, while fanning six.

Cardinals: Wacha's return uncertain

With right-hander Michael Wacha still trying to recover from a stress reaction in his right shoulder that sidelined him for 11 weeks before he made two starts earlier this month, the Cardinals remain unsure whether the 23 year-old will take the mound again this season, or in what capacity.

"We have a few options here," Matheny said on Tuesday. "He starts soon. He starts later. He relieves soon. He relieves later. Or he doesn't pitch at all. But things are going in a direction to where I imagine he'll be pitching sooner rather than later. Just like everybody else, I'd like to see Michael out there on the mound. I'd like to see him starting. But we're going to make sure with this kid. We're going to make sure everything is right before we do that."

Veteran right-hander John Lackey, who was initially scheduled to start the series opener against the Brewers but said he was experiencing a "dead arm," threw a side session on Tuesday and could start as soon as Friday against the Reds.

Worth noting

• Milwaukee's Aramis Ramirez is 23-for-56 (.411) with eight doubles, three home runs and eight RBIs in his career against Wainwright. Jean Segura is 5-for-11 (.455) with a home run and two RBIs against the right-hander.

• The Cardinals have won 10 of 17 games against the Brewers this season. St. Louis is 40-28 against NL Central opponents in 2014, compared to 43-40 against teams outside the division.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Am I a bad person for thinking it would be kind of fun if one got away from Fiers tonight and incited a brawl? I mean, the thought of the Cards raging over an up-and-in pitch is just so appealing.

lol ... Nelson hasn't pitched since Saturday - so he will most likely come in if one gets away. I hope Fiers can lock in again. We need a huge game. Go Brewers!

Am I a bad person for thinking it would be kind of fun if one got away from Fiers tonight and incited a brawl? I mean, the thought of the Cards raging over an up-and-in pitch is just so appealing.

In the short term that could be appealing but would also concern the Brewers into thinking Fiers can't be trusted in the rotation anymore and maybe they overreact in the off season and sign somebody to the rotation and don't give Fiers a shot next year.

Probably, yes. But it wouldn't be something I want to see regardless. Why would you want Fiers to be tossed from the game, improving the Cards chances of winning the game? Not to mention what it could do to Fiers long term, he's likely at a fragile place already.

Instead, I would like to see Fiers pitch a real gem and squeek out a 1-0 win. That would be 100 times better than a brawl.

No, you're not a bad person. But I think any pitch that is even close to the head of a Cardinal batter will be met with stares and scowls and other forms of Cardinal consternation.

Not to overstate the obvious but what a huge game tonight with so many implications. Will be fascinating to watch on so many levels.

And yes I want to see some inside pitches to Yadier, just to see the death stare

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Boy, would tonight be huge. With a win tonight, waves of confidence start flowing and who knows what will happen. Tonight would be a great night for bats to come alive and smack around Wainwright. That would do us a lot of good going forward. We need some poise and swagger. Lets do it tonight!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

try living here... im ready for another 20 years of losing for the pirates if it'll drive away the tools

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

big game. at least the brewers got the 1st W out of the way. two shots now at winning just 1 more game. a sweep would be amazing though. who knows. weirder things have happened to the brewers before. i'm not worried about the pirates. they've been hot for a while now. baseball logic says they'll cool off soon. we've got first crack at them anyways this weekend.

The Sox are awful. How in the world did they win the series only a year ago?!?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived