Brewer Fanatic

2014 Instructional League Roster / Miscellaneous Offseason Updates

Mass Haas

2014 Instructional League Roster

(You should be able to increase your internet browser's zoom capacity to increase the reading size there.)

Soon-to-be 20-year-old LHP Joan De La Cruz the only pitcher brought in from the Dominican Summer League.

Catchers Johel Atencio and Kevin Martinez, SS Franly Mallen, and OF's Nicolas Pierre and Joantgel Segovia brought in from the Dominican, along with prized signing Gilbert Lara.

Down from Wisconsin, it's 1B David Denson, SS Angel Ortega, and RHP Victor Diaz. Otherwise, of course, it's a mix of Helena and Maryvale youngsters.

Of course, other players are in camp, here's a tweet from 26-year-old LH Brevard reliever Stephen Peterson. And we know Clint Coulter will be in Maryvale too, of course.

It would be very cool to be a Maryvale local and a Brewer minor league diehard and just cruise from field to field there during this time.

Of course, other players are in camp, here's a tweet from 26-year-old LH Brevard reliever Stephen Peterson. And we know Clint Coulter will be in Maryvale too, of course.

Via @BrewersPD:

Players attending advanced IL are: Clint Coulter, Parker Berberet, Cameron Garfield, Orlando Arcia, Taylor Brennan, Chris McFarland, Nathan Orf, Johnny Davis, and Victor Roache.

Pitchers attending advanced IL: RHP's Jacob Barnes, Tyler Cravy, Josh Uhen, Martin Viramontes, and Taylor Williams, LHP's Hobbs Johnson, Stephen Peterson, and Trevor Seidenberger.

Players attending advanced Instructional League are: Clint Coulter, Parker Berberet, Cameron Garfield, Orlando Arcia, Taylor Brennan, Chris McFarland, Nathan Orf, Johnny Davis, and Victor Roache.

Pitchers attending advanced Instructional League: RHP's Jacob Barnes, Tyler Cravy, Josh Uhen, Martin Viramontes, and Taylor Williams, LHP's Hobbs Johnson, Stephen Peterson, and Trevor Seidenberger.

Peterson reflects on fourth pro baseball season

By Matt Williams, Salem (MA) News Staff writer

After six months in the grinding schedule that is minor league professional, left-hander Stephen Peterson was happy to get a short break.

A few weeks off is plenty for the big southpaw out of St. John’s Prep, who is headed right back to work at Milwaukee’s spring training complex in Arizona to throw in their advanced instructional program.

Peterson signed with the Brewers organization out of the University of Rhode Island in 2011 and just finished his fourth season as a pro with Brevard County (Florida) in Single-A.

“I got home for Labor Day,” said Peterson, who originally hails from Danvers and now resides in Wilmington. “It was great to be able to relax and see everybody. Now, it’s about getting the wheels turning and getting after it again.”

A utility pitcher of sorts, Peterson served in a variety of roles for the Manatees in the summer of 2014. He was a long reliever at times, a spot arm and also closed on occasion. He turns 27 in November, and as one of the older players for the Manatees took on a leadership role among the pitching staff.

“In any baseball season you run into situations when guys are down, or the bullpen is taxed, and you need somebody to cover innings or step into a role. I like being pegged as that guy who can do anything,” said Peterson. “Having said that, being in a 3-2 game and getting that call to finish it — I love that, too.

“For me, it’s always about what’s best for the team.”

Strong finish to season

A 6-foot-3, 210-pound power pitcher, Peterson has had consistent velocity since his time at URI. Over the last 18 months he’s moved from a curve to a change as his primary offspeed pitch, and has been more than happy with the results.

“It was my biggest leap. I remember clear as day we had a game against Tampa, and my curve was all over the place,” Peterson remembered. “The pitching coach suggested we go to the change, and I started throwing it. I was throwing it for a strike and getting some ugly swings.”

While Peterson, who once fired two no-hitters as a senior at St. John’s Prep, may have found the change almost by accident, the results have been anything but. After that first outing, he spent time developing the pitch and learning its intricacies from the Manatees’ coaches.

“It’s consistency,” said Peterson. “What I’ve found is that the change-up has been something I can throw for a strike in any count.”

This past season, Peterson went 5-4 with a career-best 2.98 earned run average. His batting average against was .235, also an improvement from 2013. He threw 60 innings and had a career-high four saves with seven save opportunities.

“The best thing about this year was the way I was able to finish,” said Peterson.

“In the second half I said to myself that it was time to step it up some, time to get in a little groove. I wanted to be versatile and take advantage of what I had, and I felt like I ended up pitching like I wanted to and knew I could.”

Ready for what the future brings

Brevard County is known as the Space Coast, influenced by the nearby John F. Kennedy Space Center. The summer of 2014 marked Peterson’s second season in advanced Class-A, and he shared a house near Coco Beach with a few teammates.

The Manatees enjoyed a strong season, finished 37-32 overall and in third in the Florida State League’s North Division.

“We were in a playoff run, playing great baseball all the way to the last day of the season. There was no quit in our team and that made it great to go to the park,” said Peterson. “You play 140 games and all you think about is baseball, and then you get home and you miss things like riding home with the guys.”

Heading back to Arizona, Peterson is looking to further hone his offspeed stuff while spending time with both instructors and scouts. The Brewers prospects hook up with some from the Mariners in the structure of the instructional league, with players ranging from Single-to-Triple A involved.

“It’s an opportunity to work on things,” Peterson explained. “You have 20-or-so games where you’re in front of roving instructors and higher-ups.”

With his fifth professional season on the horizon, Peterson is looking back on an enjoyable season with the Manatees while also looking forward to the future.

“I know it’s an important year for me coming up, and having a good offseason and good training will hopefully help me get a chance to start next year in Double A,” said Peterson. “I love being part of the Brewers organization, and obviously from Day 1 they’ve supported me from signing me and all the feedback I’ve had. I’ve excited to see what happens ... and I’ll do whatever I can to be ready.”

Joining Greg Holle in Venezuela is Tyler Cravy. Per the Bravos de Margarita website...

Tyler Cravy, derecho de 25 años, también es de Milwaukee y este año vio acción en la Liga de Novatos, AA y AAA, dejando registro de 8-1 y 1.72 ERA, en 17 duelos con 15 inicios en 82.2 entradas, 76 ponches y 20 boletos. Vale destacar, que las ocho victorias las consiguió en AA, en 14 juegos (12 Aperturas). Sorry no translation.

Joining Greg Holle in Venezuela is Tyler Cravy. Per the Bravos de Margarita website...

Tyler Cravy, derecho de 25 años, también es de Milwaukee y este año vio acción en la Liga de Novatos, AA y AAA, dejando registro de 8-1 y 1.72 ERA, en 17 duelos con 15 inicios en 82.2 entradas, 76 ponches y 20 boletos. Vale destacar, que las ocho victorias las consiguió en AA, en 14 juegos (12 Aperturas). Sorry no translation.

Tyler Cravy , right 25, also of Milwaukee and this year saw action in the Rookie League , AA and AAA , leaving 8-1 record and 1.72 ERA in 15 starts with 17 duels in 82.2 innings, 76 strikeouts and 20 tickets . Worth noting that the eight victories achieved in AA in 14 games ( 12 starts ) .

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 4 weeks later...

Via Chris Mehring's Rattler Radio Blog --

AUDIO: Welcome to the inaugural Rattler Radio Podcast. In the first episode, Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson discusses the World Series, Fall Instructional for the Brewers minor league players, possible 2015 Timber Rattlers, and much much more.

Via Chris Mehring's Rattler Radio Blog --

AUDIO: Welcome to the inaugural Rattler Radio Podcast. In the first episode, Timber Rattlers manager Matt Erickson discusses the World Series, Fall Instructional for the Brewers minor league players, possible 2015 Timber Rattlers, and much much more.

If you're on this forum (so the interest is there, obviously), you really need to block out 36 minutes of fantastic organizational talk here. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've probably made it clear through the last couple of years that I'm a huge Tyler Cravy fan. Latest update on the RHP here from his hometown Napa Valley Register.

Also, for an excellent detailed background on Cravy's history, I strongly suggest this July article - curveball!

In 2013 and 2014 combined, Cravy allowed only 108 hits in in 156 innings (44 walks, 135 K's).

Lucky (for Brewers fans) he wasn't plucked in Rule 5.

Archived