Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-12 Reds (Latos) at Brewers (Lohse), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-2; Overbay walk-off winner!]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/reds.png[/logo][game-info][h1]September 12 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Reds (70-77) | Brewers (76-71)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/r0R3vmR.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/bx0hOZd.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Mat Latos[/pitcher][h2]5-5, 3.25 ERA, 1.15 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Latos was hurt by faulty defense behind him in a 4-3 loss to the Mets on Sunday. He allowed three runs (none earned) on seven hits, walking one and fanning five. In three starts against Milwaukee this season, the right-hander is 1-1 with a 2.57 ERA.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Kyle Lohse[/pitcher][h2]12-9, 3.85 ERA, 1.22 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Marlins | Game Log[/h3][h3]In three starts since taking time off to heal a sprained ankle, Lohse has allowed 13 earned runs, 17 hits and eight walks in 15 2/3 innings. "He's a 'feel' guy, and he's lost his feel right now," catcher Jonathan Lucroy said.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. RHP Mat Latos

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. RHP Kyle Lohse

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reds visit Crew for opener between NL Central rivals

Cincinnati turns to Latos, who tries to play spoiler vs. Brewers, Lohse

By Cody Ulm / MLB.com | 9/12/2014 2:30 AM ET

For all the talk about what could have been with the Reds this season, they have sure handled their business against the playoff-hopeful Brewers this season.

Even though Cincinnati is 10 games out of the National League Central race and 7 1/2 behind in the NL Wild Card standings, the club can still play spoiler against Milwaukee. The Reds have taken three of the four sets they've played against the Brewers this season, edging them, 7-6, in the season series.

Despite dropping the first two games to the Marlins this week, the Brewers came back to win the last two of the series and kept themselves afloat in the NL Wild Card race. They enter Friday's series opener 1 1/2 games behind the Pirates for the second NL Wild Card spot.

Although he missed the start of the season following a series of offseason surgeries, Reds right-hander Mat Latos has made three of those starts against the Brewers this season.

Latos' first start of the year actually came against the Brewers in an outing in which he held Milwaukee to just two hits over six scoreless innings. He'd end up taking a hard-luck loss in that outing, but overall, his numbers are solid against the Brewers this season with a 1-1 record and a 2.57 ERA.

Latos was the victim of another hard-luck loss his last time out after a Billy Hamilton error opened up a three-run sixth inning by the Mets. Those unearned runs would end up being all he'd allow over six innings off seven hits and one walk.

"I pitched all right," Latos said after the Reds' 4-3 loss. "Billy committed an error out in center field, but look at all the plays he's made for us all year. He's been real good defensively out there. I've got to do a better job of pitching out of that jam; you can't throw a fastball down the middle to a guy like [Anthony] Recker and expect nothing to happen to it. I put a lot of guys on base. There were a lot of consistent pitches in the zone instead of expanding a little bit, trying to get them to chase or pitching inside more."

Latos will be matched against Brewers right-hander Kyle Lohse, who has surrendered 13 earned runs, 17 hits and eight walks in his three starts since resting his sprained ankle.

"He's a 'feel' guy, and he's lost his feel right now," catcher Jonathan Lucroy said of Lohse.

The good news is that Lohse has certainly had his feel against the Reds this season.

In three 2014 starts against Cincinnati, Lohse has compiled a 1-1 record and 3.00 ERA. He hasn't allowed more than three earned runs in any of those outings and he even struck out an uncharacteristic eight batters in his start on July 4 vs. the Reds.

Brewers: Rodriguez joins Hoffman, Rivera in record books

By logging his 40th save Wednesday against the Marlins, Brewers closer Francisco Rodriguez became just the third pitcher ever with five separate 40-save seasons.

Rodriguez joins Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman -- who each had nine such seasons -- as the only closers ever to accomplish the feat.

K-Rod recovered nicely from Tuesday night's two-homer meltdown to the Marlins in order to record a scoreless frame. He followed that up with a perfect ninth in Thursday's 4-2 win.

Rodriguez's 41 saves are tied for the fifth most in baseball.

Reds: Votto ready to travel for first time since July

As the Reds get set to travel on their final road trip of 2014, they'll be joined by their star first baseman for the first time since July.

Joey Votto has been on the disabled list since July 8 with a distal strain of his left quadriceps, but the fact that he's traveling with the team on this nine-game tour suggests he's inching closer to a return.

"He's been out taking ground balls and hitting off a tee," Red manager Brian Price said Thursday. "If he's not with us, really in my opinion, we may as well just sign off on him not playing this year, if he doesn't go with us and continue to do baseball-related activities. That's the only way we can really evaluate him, if we see him and see what he's doing."

Although the Reds haven't officially laid out a timetable for his return, they remain hopeful that Votto will be able to make it back sometime over their final 15 games.

Worth noting

• Reds outfielder Jay Bruce is 11-for-39 (.282) all-time against Lohse with three doubles, a triple, a homer and six RBIs.

• Reds catcher-first baseman Brayan Pena was a late scratch Thursday due to illness.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!"

- Lou Brown (The late James Gammon)

almost there ... almost there :) Go Brewers!! Go Lohse!!

There is a part of me that hope the Reds are saying to the Brewers right now, "Okay, we beat the Cardinals in three straight. Now we will lie down for you and you guys can go get them next week."

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Man, it'd be nice to beat this scumbag.
Why is Latos a scumbag? Just curious.

RR better keep a sharp eye on Lohse. The man is pitching injured.

Because he looks scummy. I'm sure he's actually a nice guy though.

Welp, his cat is named Cat Latos, which I find amusing. Here is a video of Mat and Cat "dancing." But it's not like I want him or the Reds to succeed tonight.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Corcino is an odd choice for this game. Been in the Reds system for 6 years, just this year made it to AAA and his numbers are poor. But I know what you guys will be thinking: he'll throw the game of his life tonight. :ohwell

On further investigation, the Kid has stuff, but he's a wild man. Walks a ton, and hits a lotta batters, 26 so far this year! A little plate discipline is in order tonight Boys. ;)

Obviously Lucroy is awesome and everything, but it seems like he is nonchalant at times when throwing to get a runner out. I'm not talking about when runners are attempting to steal, but more like what we just saw on that pickoff play from first. It was an easy out, but he took his time and the runner was safe. I've noticed he does this at catcher after a dropped third strike that gets away slightly. He will go get the ball but then take his time before throwing, leading to a close play at first (when it shouldn't be). I guess I just find it odd since the rest of his game is so sound and he is such a smart player.

man this is nerve wracking. feels like every game is an elimination game. thanks to the collapse there's literally no room for error.

This. Is that why it's crickets chirping in here? Are we holding our collective breath? Or do the rest of you have more interesting things going on on a Friday night?

I can only speak for myself, but after what we have seen lately (losing streak + demoralizing loss on Tuesday), it seems like we are past the nerve wrecking point and more at a deflated point where the games almost feel meaningless. We are by all means in the playoff race, but it just feels different since we give up so much ground so quickly. But I'm still hopeful we can get hot and games will feel exciting again.

man this is nerve wracking. feels like every game is an elimination game. thanks to the collapse there's literally no room for error.

This. Is that why it's crickets chirping in here? Are we holding our collective breath? Or do the rest of you have more interesting things going on on a Friday night?

haha well i can't speak for the rest of the brewers fanbase, but i know i'm holding my breath. been here since game 1 might as well finish the ride, regardless of the ugly @ss collapse. still alive, but the brewers want to do this thing 'kardiac kids'' style!

Archived