Brewer Fanatic

Should Parra be Playing Every Day? (Thus Bench Braun or Davis)

Bombers

Adam McCalvy says Braun will be back to full duty today. But my question is should he be benched? Or should Khris Davis be benched? Because Parra is hot.

Last 28 Days:

Braun 84 PA / .241 / .286 / .405 / .691 - Braun has been horrendous for the past 14 days 212 / .278 / .303 / .581

Davis: 83 PA / .247 / .325 / .425 / .750

Parra: 64 PA / .361 / .391 / .492 / .882

Either way you slice it. Parra needs to play everyday. He is hot. So it is either Khris or Braun that should sit down.

I honestly don't care how hot he is. That will change without warning. He isn't a very good hitter ofr his career and that is what we should probably expect(or a little better) going forward.

I do think he should be getting at least 2 starts a week. One in LF and the other in CF or RF. Braun isn't getting younger and with all his nagging injuries he could probably use a day off every other week. Same with Gomez. Considering defense and platoon advantage Parra is probably close to or better than Davis against RHP so I think he should get a start there every week. This way Parra gets about a start a series and our starters stay fresh. I really hope this is how they handle the OF next year provided we have the same personnel.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think Khris Davis is getting really overrated. He has a .308 OBP this year! I'd like to see Davis sit once or twice a week vs RHP and Parra start in his place, however when that happens Parra should be in RF & Braun in LF. Parra is light years a better defensive player than Braun.

Davis hits .274 with a .323 OBP vs LHP

Davis hits .244 with a .303 OBP vs RHP

Davis is a much much worse defensive player than Parra

Davis leads the Brewers in HR. This over reliance/weight the front office puts on the HR stat is part of the bigger picture problem the Brewers have. Mark Reynolds is a prime example of that

Parra gives the Brewers so much more value vs RHP than Davis

Honestly with Braun's injury and the way he has played in the 2nd half, Parra is easily the 2nd most valuable Outfielder the Brewers have vs RHP, and it could be argued that he's the 2nd best OF, period.

I think Parra should be starting almost every game. Once or twice a week vs RHP to give Davis a rest, once or twice a week to give Braun a rest, and once a week to give Gomez a day off

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

One more thing I wanted to add about Parra: he's 27 years old. He's not some older veteran whose game has passed him by. If anything he is just coming into his prime.

His career stats vs RHP dictate that at the very least he should never ever sit vs RHP .288 BA, .336 OBP, .426 SLG, .762 OPS

Especially when you factor in his defense

Parra was a 5.5 WAR player in 2013. The game hasn't just somehow passed him by, as evidenced by how he's playing in the last month (or really by how he's played with the Brewers, period)

Davis has a 2.7 WAR this year.

But he's leading the Brewers in HR's so he's more valuable!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Braun should probably not be playing at all and as soon as the Brewers are eliminated, he won't be. Dustin Pedroia, who is having similar hand issues, has already been shut down. There are enough at bats for everybody if RR plays it right (which I admit he has done a poor job of).

I think Khris Davis is getting really overrated. He has a .308 OBP this year! I'd like to see Davis sit once or twice a week vs RHP and Parra start in his place, however when that happens Parra should be in RF & Braun in LF. Parra is light years a better defensive player than Braun.

Davis hits .274 with a .323 OBP vs LHP

Davis hits .244 with a .303 OBP vs RHP

Davis is a much much worse defensive player than Parra

Davis leads the Brewers in HR. This over reliance/weight the front office puts on the HR stat is part of the bigger picture problem the Brewers have. Mark Reynolds is a prime example of that

Parra gives the Brewers so much more value vs RHP than Davis

Honestly with Braun's injury and the way he has played in the 2nd half, Parra is easily the 2nd most valuable Outfielder the Brewers have vs RHP, and it could be argued that he's the 2nd best OF, period.

I think Parra should be starting almost every game. Once or twice a week vs RHP to give Davis a rest, once or twice a week to give Braun a rest, and once a week to give Gomez a day off

This is where I am at. Parra should be starting almost every day. Taking a look at probable pitchers, the Brewers next lefty they face is Locke @ Pitt. We have 7 games between today and next Friday. In reality, Parra starts them all. Then play historic matchups with Braun and Davis. If Braun hasn't fared well vs the pitcher start Davis and if Braun has done well start Braun. But I don't see how you sit a guy who is one of your hottest hitters.

Parra's best year as a hitter was just a bit above average. His "career norms" is a little below average as a hitter. His value is almost all in his glove. He's had a hot month just like most players do at some point. Let's not get to carried away.

I blame Wang.

Parra's best year as a hitter was just a bit above average. His "career norms" is a little below average as a hitter. His value is almost all in his glove. He's had a hot month just like most players do at some point. Let's not get to carried away.

I agree to the extent of lets not get carried away like he is all of a sudden going to dominate for ever but he has been playing well and I think we should ride the hot hand. And for the next week we are playing all RHP. His career splits vs RHP are:

.288 / .336 / .426 / .762

which are greater than Davis vs RHP

.254 / .317 / .482 / .799

And certainly better than Braun has been since the midway point of this year.

Are you looking at OPS+? Davis is at 115 for OPS+ right now. His 15-20 points over Parra's career norms are overcome by Parra's superior defense and what is looking like evidence that Davis cannot hit RHP at an "average" level.

Really both of them would be much more valuable in a straight platoon

Not to derail the thread but is there a plan that the front office has shared in regards to Braun's thumb, now hand? I thought I heard surgery is not a cure all and could make it worse so this could just be something he has to play with the rest of his career?

that was the reasoning after Braun started his suspension middle of last season to avoid surgery and hope the extended time off would give that thumb/hand enough time to heal...didn't happen. If the 2014 version of Braun is what we'll get moving forward without attempting the surgery, I (and likely Brewers' brass) are hoping Braun does indeed try the surgery and hope it at least marginally improves the condition.

Oh, and specific to this thread, if there's a RHP starting against the Brewers, Parra should be in the starting lineup right now. Period. He's the hot hand, and while a month of games is not a sample for Parra to deserve starting over Braun/Davis in the long run, at this point in the season you can't sit a hot offensive player during games that he'd have a platoon advantage hitting against a righty. Doesn't have to exclusively be for Braun, Davis, or Gomez because Parra can play all 3 OF positions. Just give one of those 3 the day off with the option of entering the game late as a pH in a key spot of the game.

I think Khris Davis is getting really overrated. He has a .308 OBP this year!

And since May 19th he has a .335 OBP and an .855 OPS. Whatever Narron did to him in Spring Training completely messed him up, and it took him 6 weeks go get back to his old self (of taking walks and hitting extra base hits)

I'm fine giving Braun and Davis a day off per week and starting Parra vs RHP.... but Davis has been better than Braun at the plate since May.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Are you looking at OPS+? Davis is at 115 for OPS+ right now. His 15-20 points over Parra's career norms are overcome by Parra's superior defense and what is looking like evidence that Davis cannot hit RHP at an "average" level.

Really both of them would be much more valuable in a straight platoon

wRC+ Davis is 125 for his career which is inflated by last year so I don't buy that completely. I think you have to have a starter and not platoon that guy unless he is really deficient against same handed pitching. Like Scooter has been. Parra's best year was 106 and he has been 91 for his career. I don't mind giving Parra more starts but no more than once a week for any outfielder unless they need the rest, like Braun has.

I have not watched Davis in the OF enough but the metrics have him around average this year and for his career.

I agree to the extent of lets not get carried away like he is all of a sudden going to dominate for ever but he has been playing well and I think we should ride the hot hand. And for the next week we are playing all RHP. His career splits vs RHP are:

.288 / .336 / .426 / .762

which are greater than Davis vs RHP

.254 / .317 / .482 / .799

And certainly better than Braun has been since the midway point of this year.

I could be persuaded by most of your argument but never by "ride the hot hand."

I blame Wang.

that was the reasoning after Braun started his suspension middle of last season to avoid surgery and hope the extended time off would give that thumb/hand enough time to heal...didn't happen. If the 2014 version of Braun is what we'll get moving forward without attempting the surgery, I (and likely Brewers' brass) are hoping Braun does indeed try the surgery and hope it at least marginally improves the condition.

I hope he doesn't have the surgery. If it's the surgery that would make him lose feeling in his thumb permanently, screw that. It's not worth it.

I think Khris Davis is getting really overrated. He has a .308 OBP this year!

And since May 19th he has a .335 OBP and an .855 OPS. Whatever Narron did to him in Spring Training completely messed him up, and it took him 6 weeks go get back to his old self (of taking walks and hitting extra base hits)

I'm fine giving Braun and Davis a day off per week and starting Parra vs RHP.... but Davis has been better than Braun at the plate since May.

Thanks, didn't realize that stat since May 19th and I very much appreciate the perspective

Considering that, I would say you are correct. (Just noticed that Parra is starting tonight in LF and Davis is sitting)

I hope he doesn't have the surgery. If it's the surgery that would make him lose feeling in his thumb permanently, screw that. It's not worth it.

I guess my line of thinking is it's worth the risk the surgery actually repairs the problem and Braun reverts back to career norms. I'd rather risk the surgery not working and making things slightly worse to get the reward of the surgery working and getting an MVP-caliber player back. No surgery leaves the Brewers with a significantly diminished player for certain making 20 million a season who can't be counted on for more than 130 games...no thanks.

• 1 month later...

i would not be surprised at all if the brewers decide to option davis for most of 2015 and play parra in left in his place.

is that unfair to davis? maybe. it would only be for one season, until parra reaches free agency. davis has two minor league options remaining.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I actually love Parra. I think we ignore defense far too much. That said, I think the upside on Braun and Davis is what you play for. I think you you have to believe that Braun can rebound (25HR, .300 BA), and Davis can mature (25HR, .270-.280 BA). Parra, for all his positives, is not a game changer.

I would keep Parra. I simply don't trust Braun to stay healthy, and I'm not totally sold that Davis can become that much of a better player. I just hate to watch the team struggle because we don't have adequate reserves. Parra is an expensive insurance policy, but I think one that's worth having.

I actually love Parra. I think we ignore defense far too much. That said, I think the upside on Braun and Davis is what you play for. I think you you have to believe that Braun can rebound (25HR, .300 BA), and Davis can mature (25HR, .270-.280 BA). Parra, for all his positives, is not a game changer.

I would keep Parra. I simply don't trust Braun to stay healthy, and I'm not totally sold that Davis can become that much of a better player. I just hate to watch the team struggle because we don't have adequate reserves. Parra is an expensive insurance policy, but I think one that's worth having.

^^^ Yeah, what he said.

If you think he can return to his peak years of hitting .290 and slugging around .400, he's such a great defender that you could justify playing him virtually everyday. However, guys with Davis' power potential are hard to come by. Davis had 61 extra base hits, was second on the team in doubles and home runs in his first full season. He ran out of gas a bit but that's understandable too. Unless you think Davis reached his ceiling in 2014, I don't know how you can play Parra over him long term.

^^^ Yeah, what he said.

I know it is against form protocol, but

^^^ Yeah, what he said about what he said.

sunday 19 july is khris davis bobblehead day. i know the team has had a bobblehead day or two for a player that's left the organization, but have they ever had a bobblehead day for a player while he's been optioned to the minors?

Davis had a 107 OPS+ last year, which includes April (where our hitting coach told him to swing at the first pitch and not walk at all) and September, when he could barely hold a bat due to a forearm injury.

He's not going to be optioned anywhere.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived