Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-11 Marlins (Eovaldi) at Brewers (Fiers), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-2; GET WELL SOON, GIANCARLO STANTON]

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiers is a psycho as well. Calm down my man. Yikes. Not turning off the game tonight lol
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That's a perverse way to get his eighth strikeout. Ron's got to get Fiers out and watch out for his batters.

Can see where Luc set up for Stanton - if anything it was supposed to be low in the zone and ended up tailing away badly. Neither intentional, but I guess the Marlins' issue will be with even using the inner half of the plate on the next pitch after that.

When Stanton was on the cart, it looked like his eye was ok, but I'm just viewing it on my computer monitor. I know noses bleed like crazy even when the injury isn't bad, so I wouldn't be surprised if all the blood was from his nose (not that he isn't necessarily hurt badly).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
how is that a strike 3?

The only reason the pitch hit him is because his hands moved into the ball when he started to swing.

I thought when you swung, the hand was a part of the bat, hence that would be a foul ball, not a swinging third strike. I could be wrong (obviously)

When Stanton was on the cart, it looked like his eye was ok, but I'm just viewing it on my computer monitor. I know noses bleed like crazy even when the injury isn't bad, so I wouldn't be surprised if all the blood was from his nose (not that he isn't necessarily hurt badly).

Looked to me like it hit on his cheek, just to the side of his nose. If it caused a cut on his cheek, facial cuts would bleed that much as well.

You have to worry about both guys mentally going forward. Stanton won't feel to easy stepping into the box again.

how is that a strike 3?

The only reason the pitch hit him is because his hands moved into the ball when he started to swing.

I thought when you swung, the hand was a part of the bat, hence that would be a foul ball, not a swinging third strike. I could be wrong (obviously)

I know that if a batter swings and misses a pitch and it hits him, it is a dead ball strike. However, what happens if he swings at the pitch and it hits his hand? Is his hand considered an extension of the bat and the ball is live, or is it a dead ball strike because it hit the body?

Thanks,

-- T. Albertina

Layne: Well, let me ask you a question. If he puts a bat in his hand, and he drops it, is his hand going to drop with the bat or his hand going to stick to his body? So is his hand part of the bat? So, it's kind of common sense. If he gets hit in the hands, that's his body, if he gets hit in his bat, that's his bat. And if he swings, he doesn't go to first base when he gets hit.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/feature.jsp?feature=montagueqa

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Looked to me like it hit on his cheek, just to the side of his nose. If it caused a cut on his cheek, facial cuts would bleed that much as well.

You have to worry about both guys mentally going forward. Stanton won't feel to easy stepping into the box again.

Makes me think of Conigliaro (sp?). I sure hope this isn't a career altering injury for Stanton. Loads of talent for that kid.

Tony C got hit in the eye..that is why his career was never the same. His vision was affected.

Makes me think of Conigliaro (sp?). I sure hope this isn't a career altering injury for Stanton. Loads of talent for that kid.

I just hope the Marlins play it straight. When they brought in the guy with the 7+ ERA I thought we might be in for some beanballs. Just get this game over with ASAP.

Kirk Gibson isnt their manager. Id imagine cooler heads prevail. You could tell Fiers was visibly upset with himself

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Definitely hit him flush in the cheek and definitely suffered a laceration to his cheek as well as a possible broken nose. Really pray he didn't fracture his eye socket but that's possible. I also saw him spit something out. Don't know if that was chew, blood or (shudder) teeth. Absolutely just about the worst place to get hit and hope for the best for him.

Doesn't it seem like while McGehee was barking, someone(s) in the Marlins dugout must have been saying something? Looked like Fiers was reacting to comments from the dugout more than McGehee. Wonder if McGehee's comments were - perhaps irrationally / emotionally - getting bent out of shape about Johnson not being awarded the base, but meanwhile the dugout was making some crap accusations about hitting guys on purpose.

The image of a distraught Fiers' spiking the ball in frustration while a melee takes shape in front of him is something I might never forget.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Archived