Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-11 Marlins (Eovaldi) at Brewers (Fiers), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-2; GET WELL SOON, GIANCARLO STANTON]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/marlins.png[/logo][game-info][h1]September 11 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Marlins (71-73) | Brewers (75-71)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/Lqbw18E.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/9CIJ8yK.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Nathan Eovaldi[/pitcher][h2]6-10, 4.19 ERA, 1.29 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]The fourth inning got away from Eovaldi in his last turn vs the Braves on Saturday. After loading the bases on an intentional walk, he gave up a two-run single to the pitcher. He settled down to make it through 6 1/3 innings, but allowed three runs.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Mike Fiers[/pitcher][h2]5-2, 2.03 ERA, 0.82 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Marlins | Game Log[/h3][h3]Fiers has exceeded expectations since the Brewers promoted him to the rotation in the wake of Matt Garza's oblique injury. All six of his outings have been quality starts, and only once has he surrendered more than two runs.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. LF Christian Yelich
  2. 2B Donovan Solano
  3. RF Giancarlo Stanton
  4. 3B Casey McGehee
  5. CF Marcell Ozuna
  6. 1B Garrett Jones
  7. SS Adeiny Hechavarria
  8. C Jeff Mathis
  9. RHP Nathan Eovaldi

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Carlos Gómez
  2. 2B Scooter Gennett
  3. C Jonathan Lucroy
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. RF Ryan Braun
  6. LF Gerardo Parra
  7. 1B Matt Clark
  8. SS Jean Segura
  9. RHP Mike Fiers

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers need Fiers to remain hot against Marlins

Most consistent hurler amid Crew's tough stretch opposes Eovaldi

By Joe Morgan / MLB.com | 9/11/2014 12:02 AM ET

Mike Fiers appears to be the only Brewers hurler who can win lately. Milwaukee has won only five of its past 21 games, and Fiers owns three of those victories.

Called up when Matt Garza was first sidelined with an oblique injury, Fiers is 5-1 with a 1.94 ERA while limiting opponents to a .166 batting clip in six starts.

"He has pitched outstanding for the time he has been up here," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.

Milwaukee needs Fiers to triumph again as he faces the Marlins on Thursday night at Miller Park -- and win a few more after that -- if the club has plans of either snagging one of the National League's two Wild Card spots or gaining ground in the NL Central race. The Crew enters Thursday 1 1/2 games behind Pittsburgh in the Wild Card race, and five games behind St. Louis in the division.

Nathan Eovaldi will oppose Fiers, hoping to continue the sharpness he has displayed in back-to-back quality starts, both of which unfortunately resulted in Miami defeats.

The big blow in Eovaldi's most recent turn -- a 4-3 loss to the Braves last Saturday -- came when opposing pitcher Alex Wood notched a two-run single after Eovaldi intentionally walked No. 8 hitter B.J. Upton to load the bases.

The Marlins rallied to tie the game at 3, but Evan Gattis delivered for Atlanta in the top of the 10th with a solo homer.

"It's frustrating to lose this game," Eovaldi simply said.

Brewers: Braun expected to return to lineup

After missing two straight starts due to a right thumb injury, Ryan Braun is expected to return to Milwaukee's lineup on Thursday night. Braun downplayed the notion that the thumb injury may have spread into his hand.

"There's nothing wrong with my hand," Braun said. "Never has been anything wrong with my hand. There was a little thing in the wrist that we were dealing with, but it's more the thumb is the issue.

"I think sometimes when my thumb gets bad, it's because I hold the bat different, so I try to do different things to find a way to compensate. So there's other little things, but there's nothing wrong with my hand."

Marlins: Ozuna boosting batting average

Marcell Ozuna is having a breakout season for Miami, tallying 22 homers and 83 RBIs through 142 games this season. And now his batting average has reached .270 thanks to his recent tear.

The 23-year-old outfielder owns a six-game hitting streak during which he is batting .458 (11-for-24) with three doubles, three homers, nine RBIs and three multi-hit games.

Worth noting

• Ozuna finished 3-for-3 with two walks and a homer on Tuesday night, becoming the second center fielder in Marlins franchise history to go deep and post a perfect on-base average in a single game.

Milwaukee's Khris Davis ranks third among NL outfielders with 33 home runs since July 23, 2013. Miami's Giancarlo Stanton leads that category with 51 homers.

For whatever reason, I'm really looking forward to tonight's game. More than any other game in quite awhile, actually.

I'm intrigued to see if the Brewers can actually turn their season around, and Mike Fiers has become one of my favorite players.

This whole last month, removing any emotional attachment I have towards the Brewers, has been somewhat fascinating to watch (for me at least). The Brewers simply cannot be as bad as they've played in the last 20 games..... how much they can turn it around remains to be seen, but there was an extra spark there last night

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

"OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!"

- Lou Brown (The late James Gammon)

I hope this kickstarts something. Great quote!

"OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!"

- Lou Brown (The late James Gammon)

I hope this kickstarts something. Great quote!

Thanks! I hope so! Go brewers!! Go Fiers!

GMs are way too afraid of giving guys like Clark a chance. Keep hitting. Just keep on hitting!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived