Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-09 Marlins (Koehler) at Brewers (Garza), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-3]

TooLiveBrew

If we're going to lose I'd rather lose with a young guy working to get his feet under him at the big league level rather than trot veterans out there because they are "proven".

Outside of Fiers has it really mattered who has pitched over the last 2 weeks? I don't have a problem with Nelson going to the pen since he has 174 IP already this year, capping him around 185 seems like a good idea for his long term health.

However the reason for moving a young pitcher to the pen shouldn't have anything to do with his record, nor should 6 innings factor into it when every starting pitcher is failing to go 6. We don't have any pitcher who is going to regularly give us 7 innings, we don't have a single top of the rotation starter (as of today) who pitched for any of our full season teams this year. Garza at his best will go 7 but he only had one stretch where we got to see that out of him this season. This impact pitching deal is an organization wide issue.

I really don't understand taking an inexperienced player to task for the same issues that the entire rest of the pitching staff has. We have a couple of control pitchers without great stuff who can locate in Fiers and Lohse, we have a couple of guys with decent stuff who don't consistently locate in Gallardo and Garza, and we have 2 younger pitchers in Peralta and Nelson with big arms who feature primarily just 2 pitches but who also don't locate exceedingly well from start to start either. If you include Estrada you have another pitcher with average velocity, 1 plus pitch, and location issues which is why he gives up so many HRs.

At least the younger guys have a reasonable chance to improve, the older guys are as good as they are going to be at this point.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we're going to lose I'd rather lose with a young guy working to get his feet under him at the big league level rather than trot veterans out there because they are "proven".

Outside of Fiers has it really mattered who has pitched over the last 2 weeks? I don't have a problem with Nelson going to the pen since he has 174 IP already this year, capping him around 185 seems like a good idea for his long term health.

However the reason for moving a young pitcher to the pen shouldn't have anything to do with his record, nor should 6 innings factor into it when every starting pitcher is failing to go 6. We don't have any pitcher who is going to regularly give us 7 innings, we don't have a single top of the rotation starter (as of today) who pitched for any of our full season teams this year. Garza at his best will go 7 but he only had one stretch where we got to see that out of him this season. This impact pitching deal is an organization wide issue.

I really don't understand taking an inexperienced player to task for the same issues that the entire rest of the pitching staff has. We have a couple of control pitchers without great stuff who can locate in Fiers and Lohse, we have a couple of guys with decent stuff who don't consistently locate in Gallardo and Garza, and we have 2 younger pitchers in Peralta and Nelson with big arms who feature primarily just 2 pitches but who also don't locate exceedingly well from start to start either. If you include Estrada you have another pitcher with average velocity, 1 plus pitch, and location issues which is why he gives up so many HRs.

At least the younger guys have a reasonable chance to improve, the older guys are as good as they are going to be at this point.

Written much better than I did. +1

I stayed for that entire sorry spectacle tonight. I am deflated and it hurts to watch this. The only saving grace is if this leads to real changes that need to made across the board in this organization. I hate booing and never boo.... until tonight when I honestly couldn't help myself.

RRR:

"I'm tired of coming in here and talking about another loss," Roenicke said. "We're playing hard, we're working hard. These guys are putting everything they can into it, and we keep coming up with the same results. It gets old. They will be at it again [Wednesday]. They will be playing hard again. Hopefully things go well."

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

RRR:

"I'm tired of coming in here and talking about another loss," Roenicke said. "We're playing hard, we're working hard. These guys are putting everything they can into it, and we keep coming up with the same results. It gets old. They will be at it again [Wednesday]. They will be playing hard again. Hopefully things go well."

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

What else is he gonna say? It seems like whatever can go wrong is happening and they can't seem to stop it.

Watch their faces if you can stomach viewing "highlights" from last night's game. They look shell shocked. It is almost funereal up there. :(

Archived