Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-09 Marlins (Koehler) at Brewers (Garza), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-3]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/marlins.png[/logo][game-info][h1]September 9 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Marlins (70-72) | Brewers (74-70)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/TPG2umz.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/NibZ6mH.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Tom Koehler[/pitcher][h2]9-9, 3.74 ERA, 1.26 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]The Marlins needed Koehler to turn in a long outing, and he did that Wednesday, throwing 103 pitches in seven innings and fanning a career-high 10. A two-run homer put him in line for a loss before Miami picked him up.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Matt Garza[/pitcher][h2]7-8, 3.87 ERA, 1.17 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Marlins | Game Log[/h3][h3]Garza's return from a month-long stint on the DL for a rib-cage strain wasn't great: He surrendered six runs on eight hits in only three innings. But the good news was that he felt healthy.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. LF Christian Yelich
  2. 2B Donovan Solano
  3. RF Giancarlo Stanton
  4. 3B Casey McGehee
  5. CF Marcell Ozuna
  6. 1B Garrett Jones
  7. C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
  8. SS Adeiny Hechavarria
  9. RHP Tom Koehler

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Carlos Gómez
  2. 2B Scooter Gennett
  3. C Jonathan Lucroy
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. RF Gerardo Parra
  6. LF Khris Davis
  7. 1B Lyle Overbay
  8. SS Jean Segura
  9. RHP Matt Garza

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGehee's road to playoffs goes through former team

Nostalgia not on infielder's mind as he and Marlins face Crew

By Joe Morgan / MLB.com | 9/9/2014 1:57 AM ET

Marlins third baseman Casey McGehee had little time for nostalgia when he returned to Miller Park, where the Brewers gave him his big league break in 2009, and where he and his young son, Mack, became fan favorites.

This week, McGehee is more focused on the present -- a big four-game series between two teams vying for a spot in the postseason, a series that continues on Tuesday night with Miami's Tom Koehler starting against Milwaukee's Matt Garza.

"It would be just as meaningful if we were playing anybody right now, because we need to win games right now," McGehee said of his return. "We're still hanging in there. We've got, obviously, a couple of teams ahead of us, but we feel like there's still just enough time [that] if we can get hot and sustain a run for a little bit, we know we've got a chance to sneak in and get that last spot. That's our goal, and that's what we expect at this point."

The Marlins' 6-4 win in the series opener leaves them 4 1/2 games out of the second National League Wild Card berth, with the reeling Brewers 1 1/2 games short.

McGehee played parts of three seasons for the Brewers, finishing fifth in NL Rookie of the Year balloting in 2009 before topping 100 RBIs in 2010, when he was voted the team's MVP. But he struggled in 2011 and lost playing time to Jerry Hairston Jr. during the Brewers' run to the NL Championship Series, and was traded to the Pirates that winter.

Following stints with the Pirates and Yankees, and a season in Japan, McGehee has had renewed success this season with the Marlins. His 160 hits place him among the top five in the NL.

"We looked last year to find somebody to hit behind [Giancarlo] Stanton, and he's come in and done a great job, getting some big hits," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said. "I know everybody talks about the home runs. He hasn't hit a lot of home runs, but we haven't needed a guy to hit a lot of home runs. We needed a guy to give us great at-bats and get big hits and drive in runs. He's been able to do all that."

McGehee admits that when he departed for Japan, he wasn't sure whether he'd ever play again in the U.S.

"It's been kind of a long, strange road since I left here," McGehee said. "I definitely appreciate being back, but I haven't really taken the time to think about that part of it yet. We're still in the mind-set that we still have a chance to get into the postseason. Obviously, we have a lot of work left in front of us, so that's kind of more of the mind-set right now. I think after the season is over, I'll be able to look back and kind of reflect on what it means to be back in the big leagues.

"I think the one thing I have learned is that even though you're back for a year, things can change quick. You have to get yourself ready to do it again; you have to prove yourself on a daily basis and a yearly basis. I think I'm pretty good proof of that."

Marlins: Alvarez could return on Friday

A strained oblique has sidelined right-hander Henderson Alvarez since Sept. 1, but he could return to the rotation on Friday in time for a three-game series against the Phillies.

"He's going to throw a light [session] tomorrow and we're looking, if everything goes well for him, to pitch on Friday," Redmond said on Monday. "He said he was feeling good, so he should be ready to go. Like I said, he's going to throw another light one just to make sure we're good. I'm anticipating him to be fine and pitch on Friday."

Brewers: Now healthy, Garza aiming for return to normalcy

Garza will be making his second start since a monthlong stint on the disabled list for a strained rib cage. He will seek a better result than the one he had against the Cubs on Wednesday, when he gave up six runs on eight hits in three innings.

Garza hasn't pitched against the Marlins since 2012, missing the Brewers' three-game series in Miami in May. Milwaukee took two of those three games, but manager Ron Roenicke sees a different opponent this time.

"They are playing good baseball," Roenicke said. "They have good arms on the mound, and they have a good offensive team. Young guys. They've got the monster in Stanton, and all the other guys around him are doing a nice job. We know we have to go out there and play a good series."

Roenicke called Stanton one of those "don't let him beat you"-type of players, meaning the Brewers will not hesitate to intentionally walk him.

"When the situation calls for it, yeah, he's one of those guys," he said.

Worth noting

• Center fielder Carlos Gomez returned to the Brewers' lineup on Monday for the first time since spraining his left wrist on Aug. 31. He had been limited to defense, pinch-running and one pinch-hit appearance since then.

• Stanton hit his 154th career home run on Monday night, tying Dan Uggla's franchise record.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So...now that James Nelson has been moved to the pen...i have a really wild idea. Move Yo to the pen and let Estrada take his next start. The Giants did it with Lincecum and hes actually won a couple Cy Youngs. I know it will never happen but at this point anything is worth a shot
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Garza threw 23 pitches in the first inning. What he needs now is some rest time. This is where the free swinging aggressive approach hurts our pitchers. Garza needs his hitters to use up a minimum of 15 pitches this inning. I am not optimistic.

So...now that James Nelson has been moved to the pen...i have a really wild idea. Move Yo to the pen and let Estrada take his next start. The Giants did it with Lincecum and hes actually won a couple Cy Youngs. I know it will never happen but at this point anything is worth a shot

My buddy in Phoenix & I were commiserating yesterday and brought up the exact same idea: Estrada taking Gallardo's place in the rotation. Doubt it'll happen, but at this point nothing should be sacred!

It's gone final in Philly. Crew can move to just one back of PIT with a win tonight.

Yes, it seems silly to be talking wildcard the way things have gone, but there it sits. Tired of feeling crappy about this. Gonna try hanging on to those hopes until the E# says I can't, while reserving the Brewer fan's fundamental right of mockery, if only to mask the pain.

Archived