Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-08 Marlins (Penny) at Brewers (Gallardo), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-4]

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My worst fear is that DM stays pat with the rationalization that "we were good for 140 games". Lohse, Garza and Gallardo are one year older - the likelihood of them breaking down in the future is higher. And we've got Jungmann in the wings.

My worst fear is that DM stays pat with the rationalization that "we were good for 140 games". Lohse, Garza and Gallardo are one year older - the likelihood of them breaking down in the future is higher. And we've got Jungmann in the wings.

I fear that this will happen, and it's part of the reason I want DM gone.

Jesus, this team has lost 12 of 13, and in 13 games, we've scored a grand total of 32 runs, not even 2.5 runs per game.

I've seen a lot of bad Brewer baseball in my life. But this might take the cake. It's so bad I don't even watch anymore. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch this team, because it's so inept in every facet, all it will do is raise my blood pressure.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

We've had Jimmy Nelson in the wings (in the upper minors) for 1.5 years and he's won 1 of his last 10 starts, going 1-7 in that stretch.

Maybe Nelson will have a Peralta-like 2nd year and these struggles will serve him well in the long run. I'm hopeful. But to put so much faith in Jungmann seems a little premature -- hopefully still justified in the long run, but premature right now -- since he hasn't had nearly the MiLB success Nelson did.

I don't think we can totally stand pat. But I'm not sure a total housecleaning's in order, either. (That said, Alfredo Figaro should never pitch for the Brewers ever again, and why he's still around while Blazek, Pena, and even Wooten haven't been brought up completely astounds me.)

Man, Roenicke sure seemed like a guy who knows his time is up in the post game presser. He flat-out said Wang & Figaro are guys he can't rely on. Really awkward presser.

I missed it, but I sort of feel for the guy. Of course he's made a few decisions that we all disagree with (what manager doesn't) but there's just not much else he can do with this team as it's constructed. The players just aren't getting it done. Yo was garbage tonight, and the starters have been garbage for two weeks (with respect to the job Fiers has done).

Maybe he's just lost this team, which is really disappointing because it is - to me -more telling about the players than the manager. I think the players have mentally quit because nothing is going right, and no amount of 'rah-rah' speech will pull them out of it.

This season is turning into a dumpster fire, and IMHO, it begins with Melvin.

We've had Jimmy Nelson in the wings (in the upper minors) for 1.5 years and he's won 1 of his last 10 starts, going 1-7 in that stretch.

Maybe Nelson will have a Peralta-like 2nd year and these struggles will serve him well in the long run. I'm hopeful. But to put so much faith in Jungmann seems a little premature -- hopefully still justified in the long run, but premature right now -- since he hasn't had nearly the MiLB success Nelson did.

I don't think we can totally stand pat. But I'm not sure a total housecleaning's in order, either. (That said, Alfredo Figaro should never pitch for the Brewers ever again, and why he's still around while Blazek, Pena, and even Wooten haven't been brought up completely astounds me.)

My reference to Jungmann was meant to illustrate that we don't have a lot in the wings. I'm a bigger supporter of Nelson. Lohse, Garza, Gallardo, Peralta, Fiers/Nelson next year.

I don't think he's lost the team at all. Heck, into mid/late August, there was legit discussion for him as a manager of the year candidate. To suggest that this 3-15 skid resulted in the players quitting is absurd given where the team's been at all year. As McCalvy tweeted the other day, this isn't a matter of the team not caring, but caring so much that they're trying too hard and consequently making matters worse -- an unfortunate combination of human nature & "that's baseball." As McCalvy also noted 3 days ago, "I try to stick to facts, but here's an opinion: Unless there's a clubhouse issue, firing the manager is a dumb idea." The implication is clearly that Roenicke hasn't lost the clubhouse at all.

A 20-7 start could prove to be a mirage. A 71-55 record likely isn't, esp. when the offense was still near the top of the league in runs scored and the starting pitching was holding up pretty well. Going 3-15 since then is a horribly timed full-team slump . . . . although lately now it's proving to be more of a rotation, clutch hitting, power hitting, and batters not named Lucroy/Gennett slump.

Roenicke makes the occasional dumb move, and no manager's ever perfect, but I still believe wholeheartedly that he should continue to be the manager & Melvin should be the GM.

Wish I were in WI so I could see the Brewers' broadcasts & get the pre- & post-game interviews, insights, etc. I really appreciate the coach/manager presser coverage that "local" Fox Sports broadcasts include -- good stuff here in MN, anyway, so I'm assuming similar stuff for WI.

Two more McCalvy tweets after tonight's debacle -- quoting Mark Reynolds -- prove the Brewers aren't mailing it in and are sure trying their best, ugly results notwithstanding:

Adam McCalvy @AdamMcCalvy · 1m

Reynolds on recent frustration: "We're all feeling it. We're human. We know the fans are booing us for a reason. We're not getting it done."

Adam McCalvy @AdamMcCalvy · 1m

More Reynolds: "I mean, we can't seem to do anything right right now, but at the end of the day, we're not out of this."

This first base spot really needs to solved before next season

This is why I think Melvin should be fired. 2 years in a row of worst production at 1B. At least he made an attempt this year w Reynolds. Last year was inexcusable. He didnt even try a guy like Clark.

Honestly, Braun looks truly bad out there. Is there any chance that the old Braun ever returns?

My concern is that this is all Braun ever would have been without steroids

Can you not see the problems Braun is having swinging the bat? Clearly he is hurting. He is still going to have 20 + home runs even though he'll have missed 20% of the season, and much of, if not all of the time he has been playing, he's been hurt. His power is fine. His production has been pretty good all things considered.

He's nowhere near 100% right now. If he can get healthy, which I pray he can, I think you'll see the Ryan Braun of old. After all, he tested positive in 2011, and he had an MVP season in 2012 while he was being tested like crazy.

Braun's drop in performance is not because of any steroids he's missing. He can't control the bat.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Thanks, 'stache. Your response to this point is exactly what went through my head when Jim Bowden made the same assertion on MLB Network Radio the other day when I was driving between my two school buildings. If Bowden made a legit attempt to understand Braun's situation, he never would've uttered the utterly foolish remarks of an ignoramus that came out of his mouth the other day.... which were basically this: "I know he's had some injuries, but Braun just hasn't been the same since the PED thing happened." . . . Hello 2012, most-tested guy in MLB with better-than-his-MVP-year numbers!

Archived